(Miscellaneous debris)

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: (Miscellaneous debris)

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:03 am

Magellan wrote:What do people think about the general idea of conscience votes in the parliament?

I feel like there should be many more of them. Voting along party lines sucks, especially when people vote for a local member based on their personality, only to have them vote differently because they have different values to a lot of the other party.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 am

Magellan wrote:What do people think about the general idea of conscience votes in the parliament?

I'll give you a hint: Chwistofer Pyne is my local member
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1083 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm generally for conscience voting over toeing any party line, but I would like the electorate to get the chance to ask the candidates for their opinions on various subjects prior to electing them so you have some idea where their conscience is...

Bring back campaigns in local town halls and door to door rather than relying on mass media.
(The last pollie who knocked on my door was John Bannon when I lived in Prospect.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Psyber wrote:I'm generally for conscience voting over toeing any party line, but I would like the electorate to get the chance to ask the candidates for their opinions on various subjects prior to electing them so you have some idea where their conscience is...

Bring back campaigns in local town halls and door to door rather than relying on mass media.
(The last pollie who knocked on my door was John Bannon when I lived in Prospect.)

I doubt it would be hard to have online voting for these issues either
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Psyber wrote:I'm generally for conscience voting over toeing any party line, but I would like the electorate to get the chance to ask the candidates for their opinions on various subjects prior to electing them so you have some idea where their conscience is...

I agree with you thete mate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:25 pm

Theoretically speaking, if all politicians could have a conscience vote on every issue, then it follows the the party system would ultimately self-destruct?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Magellan wrote:Theoretically speaking, if all politicians could have a conscience vote on every issue, then it follows the the party system would ultimately self-destruct?

And then we would have a real democracy
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1435 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:25 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
Magellan wrote:Theoretically speaking, if all politicians could have a conscience vote on every issue, then it follows the the party system would ultimately self-destruct?

And then we would have a real democracy

How would it be different to the democracy we already have?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:55 am

bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Australian people/companies from the 'Panama Papers' leak.

http://pastebin.com/yfBV38HK
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Gozu wrote:Australian people/companies from the 'Panama Papers' leak.

I know a couple of people on there LOL
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Gozu wrote:Australian people/companies from the 'Panama Papers' leak.

I know a couple of people on there LOL

They're keeping good company, I noticed both Timothy Francis Johnston and Firepower Group on there.

Tim Johnston was the star of the book 'Firepower: The Most Spectacular Fraud in Australian History' by Gerard Ryle he conned a number of AFL stars out of large sums of money including Mark Ricciuto and he was a co-owner of the Sydney Kings who briefly folded in 2008 when Firepower went belly up.

Johnston even scammed the Australian govt out of hundreds of thousands when John Howard was PM.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:28 pm

For anyone interested with the federal election here and US election too fast approaching Poll Bludger are doing group subscriptions for 12 month Crikey subscriptions for $105 down from the usual $189.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/ ... s-offer-5/
Gozu
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 am

Gozu wrote:For anyone interested with the federal election here and US election too fast approaching Poll Bludger are doing group subscriptions for 12 month Crikey subscriptions for $105 down from the usual $189.

Most entertaining just sitting from a far and watching the circus.

If it ends up as Trump v Clinton, the circus will be best word for it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 am

stan wrote:
Gozu wrote:For anyone interested with the federal election here and US election too fast approaching Poll Bludger are doing group subscriptions for 12 month Crikey subscriptions for $105 down from the usual $189.

All just shows the public have had enough of politicians and their antics and spin
What a mob of losers: narcissistic to the core
Norman Gunston for PM
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:06 pm

stan wrote:

I'm not trying to plug Crikey but I think Guy Rundle is covering the primaries for them over now and then the election proper after that and I remember when I had a Crikey sub it was during the last US election (Obama vs Romney plus the Rep nominee process before) and Rundle's articles (daily or 2-3 times a week?) were great reading. Not only were they hilarious and very descriptive but informative on their electoral processes. They were gonzo style journalism similar in style to Hunter S. Thompson following the media pack and commenting on them, all the hangers on at the conventions and speaking to the regular and sometimes scary punters.

They were so good before my sub finished I copy & pasted every one of them into a word doc and then put that document on my ebook reader and I just finished reading them all again recently for the 3rd or 4th time. About 200-250 pages worth on an ebook reader so like a small book amount. I'm weighing up whether to sign up again now for this deal but last time I had a Crikey sub they were a fair bit cheaper then.

If anyone wants a copy of Rundle's reporting on the last US election campaign trail let me know and I'll try and work out how to put it up on here.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Adelaide born actress Samara Weaving (niece of Hugo) has made international headlines when a Donald Trump supporter posted a photo of her in bloody makeup from the US horror comedy show 'Ash vs Evil Dead' saying she was a Trump supporter beaten up for her political beliefs.

Star of the Evil Dead films and the TV show Bruce Campbell called a halt to the scam by Trump supporters on Twitter.

“Ash vs Evil Dead” actress Samara Weaving unknowingly became part of an internet kerfuffle when a conservative Twitter account tweeted a picture of her where she’s bloodied and bruised under the guise that she was a Trump supporter who was assaulted simply for her political beliefs. However, it turns out that picture was a makeup test for the Starz horror comedy show.

Co-star Bruce Campbell brought a lot of attention to the matter when he quoted the tweet and simply stated, “Check your facts, folks. This is an actress named Samara Weaving from #AshVsEvilDead. This is a make-up test. Sad.”

Due to the large amount of retweets and mentions this generated, the account that originally tweeted out the photo has since deleted the post and stated, “Tweet about Trump supporter being beaten turned out to be fake. I apologize for misleading my followers. Now it is deleted.“.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3394124 ... ead-photo/
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Old mate Craig Thomson not letting something like ethics hinder him after his political career either.

Disgraced former federal MP Craig Thomson is running a migrant worker placement business from his home base on the NSW central coast, offering incentives which appear to exploit loopholes in laws designed to crack down on the abuse of visa schemes in regional Australia.

Mr Thomson - who last year said he was too broke to repay his former union hundreds of thousands of dollars he owes it for credit card abuse - is offering cafes and restaurants near his home several thousand dollars to take workers on temporary 457 visas or via the more permanent Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... rk4un.html
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has died at age 90, nine days of national mourning to follow.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... -icon-dies

Might be time to pop on again the four hour mini-series 'Che' about the Cuban Revolution that starred Benicio Del Toro as Che Guevara. I don't agree with some of it but it's still an enthralling watch.
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Former NSW Labor MP Eddie Obeid sentenced to five year in prison with a three year non-parole period.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-15/e ... im/8120006

I thought he would worm his way out of it so good to see justice being done.
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics