New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby Cheese Twisties » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:03 pm

A few pages back someone mentioned something about the old "SAAFL North and South" divisions. Can any history buffs tell me how long ago this was a thing, and why it fell over? Where was the boundary that split north and south etc.

Purely hypothetical, if the SFL was to fold (as our southern cricket league did a few years ago - as soon as clubs started to change leagues) there are a few clubs who "logically" should/could move to other country leagues (Aldinga and maybe Noarlunga to GSFL [who have already stated they don't want any new clubs], Flagstaff Hill/Happy Valley to Hills maybe?) but the majority of SFL clubs should logically go to SAAFL.

Say the SFL has 2-3 years left - anyone think the SAAFL would have any interest in re-exploring the north and south setup? Would assist in cutting out the SAAFL travel times (which must be a nightmare) and the extra 10ish teams from the SFL would help with the numbers of the predominantly northern SAAFL...??
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:05 pm

@Executive Member, care to provide any light here? In theory of course...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:A few pages back someone mentioned something about the old "SAAFL North and South" divisions. Can any history buffs tell me how long ago this was a thing, and why it fell over? Where was the boundary that split north and south etc.

I have no idea, but I do recall when I started playing senior footy there was North/South in Divs 8/9/10 from memory :-?

That was late early 2000's and from memory lasted until around about the time Edwardstown headed back to SFL?

Then again the old memory isn't what it used to be (thank you beer)

*edit* think the north/south divs were effectively all C grade sides, when ultimately turned into C1-C6 we have now.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4041 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Zartan wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:A few pages back someone mentioned something about the old "SAAFL North and South" divisions. Can any history buffs tell me how long ago this was a thing, and why it fell over? Where was the boundary that split north and south etc.

I have no idea, but I do recall when I started playing senior footy there was North/South in Divs 8/9/10 from memory :-?

That was late early 2000's and from memory lasted until around about the time Edwardstown headed back to SFL?

Then again the old memory isn't what it used to be (thank you beer)

*edit* think the north/south divs were effectively all C grade sides, when ultimately turned into C1-C6 we have now.

I think they lasted until about 2006, and you're right in thinking they moved to C1-C6.

From time to time I've thought there might be some merit in re-visiting. I remember not too long ago playing in a C Grade Comp with Mitchell Park, Trinity Old Scholars and Flinders Uni all in the same Comp. Some fairly long trips for what was the lowest C Grade at the time.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1204 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Footy Chick wrote:@Executive Member, care to provide any light here? In theory of course...

not sure the clubs would accept changing the current Divisional structure upside down to accommodate the remaining SFL clubs

Might be a case of first in first served
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:17 pm

jo172 wrote:Read the end of the CEO's Letter.

What does this mean? Sounds like they've got wind of something that might grease the wheels for everyone and the above is the worst case scenario?

I think we might have found the answer to this question...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:17 pm

What does this mean? Sounds like they've got wind of something that might grease the wheels for everyone and the above is the worst case scenario?

I think we might have found the answer to this question...
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:33 pm

I think we have the answer to this question...
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby coman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm all for the CDFA comp to reunite, then we could introduce a couple of new yearly awards,like who's got the best tatt,the mouthy supporter award,and the shittiest Bgrade umpire trophy,or we can throw in best mullet.
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:56 pm

coman wrote:I'm all for the CDFA comp to reunite, then we could introduce a couple of new yearly awards,like who's got the best tatt,the mouthy supporter award,and the shittiest Bgrade umpire trothy,or we can throw in best mullet.

:lol:

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:01 pm

coman wrote:I'm all for the CDFA comp to reunite, then we could introduce a couple of new yearly awards,like who's got the best tatt,the mouthy supporter award,and the shittiest Bgrade umpire trophy,or we can throw in best mullet.

On Grand Final day they could have the fattest supporter goal to goal sprint.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
coman wrote:I'm all for the CDFA comp to reunite, then we could introduce a couple of new yearly awards,like who's got the best tatt,the mouthy supporter award,and the shittiest Bgrade umpire trophy,or we can throw in best mullet.

No contest, The Units legendary brothers would win that hands down :D
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Robran » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah without dropping a inch of there beer..
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Pag » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Executive Member wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

No contest, The Units legendary brothers would win that hands down :D

Didn't know Fenwick had a brother?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:58 pm

Just a thought. If Brighton don't get the majority vote, could they still promote and relegate the 2 teams from div 5 & 3 keeping it at 9 teams and then just add in Morphettville Park?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Pag » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:00 pm

mighty hounds wrote:Just a thought. If Brighton don't get the majority vote, could they still promote and relegate the 2 teams from div 5 & 3 keeping it at 9 teams and then just add in Morphettville Park?

I reckon that's the way they'll go.

Still think it's harsh on Hope Valley though.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Why? we play bad, we get relegated. 2 clubs would go down under any other circumstance and no one should rest on the fact that there were only 9 teams this year.

Sure, it's going to suck to be relegated after all the hard work Charlie and Stevo put in over the years, hell, even poor Bob would be pulling his hair out if he had any trying to get these blokes playing some decent footy - but you gotta take the hand you're dealt.

*disclaimer* - i'm pretty sure i dont' speak for the rest of the club here.

Footy Chick

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Interesting times, could the SANFL play a part in it?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby vics01 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Very poor excuse by the SAAFL to not take Hackham.. The Coach and club have worked very hard to rebuild. The problem children have been given marching orders and are either playing elsewhere this year or not playing at all.

They are now basically just a group of young kids who are there playing for the right reasons. (Most could not punch their way out of a wet paper bag)

Tend to think there may well be other reasons behind the decision not to take the Hawks..

Does pose a problem for the SFL though.. The brilliant idea of 2 divisions 10 in div 1 and 4 in div 2 will go out the window with Roos and Bombers leaving. Will mean 12 teams remain at a guess I would say 2 will not be there in the next 24 months.. Very sad for football but a positive for soccer as they will probably take over the venues and continue to grow.

Shame on the SAAFL board no real due diligence done with regard to where the club is at.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:27 pm

vics01 wrote:Very poor excuse by the SAAFL to not take Hackham.. The Coach and club have worked very hard to rebuild. The problem children have been given marching orders and are either playing elsewhere this year or not playing at all.

They are now basically just a group of young kids who are there playing for the right reasons. (Most could not punch their way out of a wet paper bag)

Tend to think there may well be other reasons behind the decision not to take the Hawks..

Does pose a problem for the SFL though.. The brilliant idea of 2 divisions 10 in div 1 and 4 in div 2 will go out the window with Roos and Bombers leaving. Will mean 12 teams remain at a guess I would say 2 will not be there in the next 24 months.. Very sad for football but a positive for soccer as they will probably take over the venues and continue to grow.

Shame on the SAAFL board no real due diligence done with regard to where the club is at.

theres no official statement that it ever was hackham, may have been blackwood or angle vale or the keyboard warriors football club

all the info your slaying is just bullshit written on safooty forum
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League