Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby fathersonsfl » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:47 am

Down the Hill wrote:It was worse yesterday but in about the fifth minute of today's game i heard a Dad to another Dad after a free to Brighton say "typical, the umps love Brighton". I mean if people really think and believe this type of crud and presumably share those thoughts with their kids then what hope do we have for preventing some of the abuse of umpires and other incidents in junior footy.

Maybe the Brighton lads get a good ride with the umpires DTH because generally they don't back chat as much as some. I was watching the U/14 Brighton v Aldinga game on Saturday and Brighton got a great ride with the umpires because the Aldinga lads just seemed to want to abuse the umpires. Some of parents weren't much better......it is the first time I have seen a 25m penalty given by an umpire because a parent/supporter has given the umpire some lip.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby strike me pink » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 am

Bit of rain and wind at Christies on Saturday so wasn't a great spectacle but the Emu's wore Porties down to win comfortably in the end, now onto Brighton, a couple of decent Prelims should make for a great weekend.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:28 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:It was worse yesterday but in about the fifth minute of today's game i heard a Dad to another Dad after a free to Brighton say "typical, the umps love Brighton". I mean if people really think and believe this type of crud and presumably share those thoughts with their kids then what hope do we have for preventing some of the abuse of umpires and other incidents in junior footy.

Maybe the Brighton lads get a good ride with the umpires DTH because generally they don't back chat as much as some. I was watching the U/14 Brighton v Aldinga game on Saturday and Brighton got a great ride with the umpires because the Aldinga lads just seemed to want to abuse the umpires. Some of parents weren't much better......it is the first time I have seen a 25m penalty given by an umpire because a parent/supporter has given the umpire some lip.

NO
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:46 pm

fathersonsfl wrote:I do not normally like to rag on umpires but the young tall lad umpiring the A Grade at the Noarlunga v Reynella game yesterday was some of the worst umpiring I have ever seen!! The other two did a good job but the young lad was totally inept and seemed to be overwhelmed by the occasion. Surely he cannot do another A grade final this year.

You were obviously at the game I watched .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Animus » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:59 pm

shoe boy wrote:
fathersonsfl wrote:I do not normally like to rag on umpires but the young tall lad umpiring the A Grade at the Noarlunga v Reynella game yesterday was some of the worst umpiring I have ever seen!! The other two did a good job but the young lad was totally inept and seemed to be overwhelmed by the occasion. Surely he cannot do another A grade final this year.

Certainly were some interesting decisions paid by said umpire, almost got Reynella back into the game at one point!
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Thumbs Up » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Animus wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Certainly were some interesting decisions paid by said umpire, almost got Reynella back into the game at one point!

He was umpiring with two good experienced umpires and I am sure that they will pass on that umpiring is done well, when you are not noticed. In finals umpires please let the boys play.

Great crowd to watch the game at Aldinga.

I do believe the GOD FATHER at the Shoe has a big job to do at the tribunal this week. You might have to find a horses head if you are unsuccessful.
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Red Devil » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Let's not forget the Shoes runner spending half the game on the field and getting physically involved in the tussle late in the game! That is not on and very poorly umpired, runners/water boys or any officials should not physically touch players from the opposition!
He should be the one missing the rest of the year!!!
Red Devil
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Luke15 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:21 pm

Red Devil wrote:Let's not forget the Shoes runner spending half the game on the field and getting physically involved in the tussle late in the game! That is not on and very poorly umpired, runners/water boys or any officials should not physically touch players from the opposition!
He should be the one missing the rest of the year!!!

The Shoes runner is a serial offender at staying on the ground too long but you know what if you can get away.with it and the umpires arent smart enough to pick up on it then good luck to you.

But grabbing a.player is totally and utterly unacceptable and he should be at the very least spoken too by the SFL.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby King » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:Looks like a good crowd down at Dingy today....couldn't believe how big the crowd at HV last night for the C grade GF, reckon there was at least 1500 there, great night.

Yes Dutchy it was a great night (winners are grinners) and that comes from someone who is totally against playing the C grade GF on a Saturday night. I know it's done for money but to play a Sunday comp main game of the year on a Sat. night is ridiculous. A lot of these guys play Sunday because they can't play Saturday. A good few of them are more mature age and have difficulty seeing the ball under lights and very few of them would ever train under lights. I'll also add that the HV lights are adequate, but not good enough. Most spectators struggled to identify players on the other side of the ground to where they were situated. The lack of a microphone for the formal presentations is a further black mark.
Now for the positives.
Despite the loop hole in the governing rules, both clubs played teams according to the "spirit" of the rules (unlike one of the eliminated finalists) . This is a great credit to both clubs and deserves recognition. The game itself was good quality and exciting; again a credit to both clubs. Most of all in was played with what a lot of us don't see often enough, GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP. This is a trade mark of the C grade and something that appears to lack in a lot of the other grades. In closing my sincere gratulations and kudos to the Reynella Football Club and their supporters for their attendance throughout the presentations, their applause and excellent demeanour. GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP is not dead ................ at least in the SFL C grade!
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Hey King, I hope you're not referring to us about the "spirit of the comp". As stated previously we had 2 choices week 1 of finals. Pick an U18 who hasn't played C grade all year or pick a bloke who happened to play B grade the day before but was still qualified. I would argue that the likes Gebhardt and Wilson in your C grade is not playing in the right spirit. You are also overlooking some key points with moving the C grade GF to a Saturday night. Most blokes won't have work issues on a Saturday night. They get to play in front of a decent GF crowd which is better than the 60 or 70 that used to attend on a Sunday and the winners and losers get to celebrate or commiserate properly on a Saturday night with other club people without the hassle of work the next day. Our Saturday comp has 3 weeks of Sunday finals so what is the real problem with Saturday night for C grade GF noting that it doesn't clash with any other finals which assists with the good crowd.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby beer tent » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:19 pm

King wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Looks like a good crowd down at Dingy today....couldn't believe how big the crowd at HV last night for the C grade GF, reckon there was at least 1500 there, great night.

Yes Dutchy it was a great night (winners are grinners) and that comes from someone who is totally against playing the C grade GF on a Saturday night. I know it's done for money but to play a Sunday comp main game of the year on a Sat. night is ridiculous. A lot of these guys play Sunday because they can't play Saturday. A good few of them are more mature age and have difficulty seeing the ball under lights and very few of them would ever train under lights. I'll also add that the HV lights are adequate, but not good enough. Most spectators struggled to identify players on the other side of the ground to where they were situated. The lack of a microphone for the formal presentations is a further black mark.
Now for the positives.
Despite the loop hole in the governing rules, both clubs played teams according to the "spirit" of the rules (unlike one of the eliminated finalists) . This is a great credit to both clubs and deserves recognition. The game itself was good quality and exciting; again a credit to both clubs. Most of all in was played with what a lot of us don't see often enough, GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP. This is a trade mark of the C grade and something that appears to lack in a lot of the other grades. In closing my sincere gratulations and kudos to the Reynella Football Club and their supporters for their attendance throughout the presentations, their applause and excellent demeanour. GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP is not dead ................ at least in the SFL C grade!

Relating to the photo... Rub the coward punch pr1ck out boot the runner and the junior lad you should not have been allowed to play ...all bad Karma :twisted:
beer tent

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:22 pm

DTH not sure if you realise Harrison Gerbhardt has only played C Grade this year - 10 matches actually.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby King » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Hey King, I hope you're not referring to us about the "spirit of the comp". As stated previously we had 2 choices week 1 of finals. Pick an U18 who hasn't played C grade all year or pick a bloke who happened to play B grade the day before but was still qualified. I would argue that the likes Gebhardt and Wilson in your C grade is not playing in the right spirit. You are also overlooking some key points with moving the C grade GF to a Saturday night. Most blokes won't have work issues on a Saturday night. They get to play in front of a decent GF crowd which is better than the 60 or 70 that used to attend on a Sunday and the winners and losers get to celebrate or commiserate properly on a Saturday night with other club people without the hassle of work the next day. Our Saturday comp has 3 weeks of Sunday finals so what is the real problem with Saturday night for C grade GF noting that it doesn't clash with any other finals which assists with the good crowd.

You like Saturday night C grade GF, I don't; so be it.

Gebhardt did not train all year and only played C grade. Wilson does not exist in either Flaggies, A, B or C grades but don't let facts get in the way of your argument.
King
Under 16s

Postby Oldman Munga » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:55 pm

beer tent wrote:
King wrote:

Now for the positives.

Relating to the photo... Rub the coward punch pr1ck out boot the runner and the junior lad you should not have been allowed to play ...all bad Karma :twisted:

I'm almost too scared to ask but WTF are you on about BT ??
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:50 pm

85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:DTH not sure if you realise Harrison Gerbhardt has only played C Grade this year - 10 matches actually.

Yes of course I realise but I was trying to say that Gebhardt and White (sorry I said Wilson) are young blokes that are too good for C grade footy. Gebhardt kicked 50 goals in 12 B grade games last year and played 7 A grade games including the Prelim so he is not a C grade footballer. Nearly all C grade flags including ours have been won with some "sandbagging" so just take the win and King shouldn't play the spirit and ethics card whilst taking shots at others.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby King » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:46 am

Down the Hill wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:DTH not sure if you realise Harrison Gerbhardt has only played C Grade this year - 10 matches actually.

Yes of course I realise but I was trying to say that Gebhardt and White (sorry I said Wilson) are young blokes that are too good for C grade footy. Gebhardt kicked 50 goals in 12 B grade games last year and played 7 A grade games including the Prelim so he is not a C grade footballer. Nearly all C grade flags including ours have been won with some "sandbagging" so just take the win and King shouldn't play the spirit and ethics card whilst taking shots at others.

Both Gebhardt and White wish to have a "kick & catch" but either cannot or do not wish to train. Therefore they play C Grade. I suppose you think we should tell these players who have come through our juniors to go elsewhere!! I'd say you're the one taking shots.
King
Under 16s

Postby strike me pink » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:45 am

King wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

Both Gebhardt and White wish to have a "kick & catch" but either cannot or do not wish to train. Therefore they play C Grade. I suppose you think we should tell these players who have come through our juniors to go elsewhere!! I'd say you're the one taking shots.

Yes
strike me pink
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Boof » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:43 am

Given the tribunals pathetic suspensions of cowardly thug acts in recent times, one would suspect we will see yet another very lenient decision handed down tonight. It's about time a message was sent that these type of gutless acts will not be tolerated.

It should not be left to the victim to take take civil action to get some form of justice.

But I'm not holding my breath!!!
Boof
Mini-League

Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby tigerpie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Considering the lad had surgery yesterday for a busted jaw, i dont think Mott will be playing again this year.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Boof wrote:Given the tribunals pathetic suspensions of cowardly thug acts in recent times, one would suspect we will see yet another very lenient decision handed down tonight. It's about time a message was sent that these type of gutless acts will not be tolerated.

It should not be left to the victim to take take civil action to get some form of justice.

But I'm not holding my breath!!!

Please!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL