Magarey Medal

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Magarey Medal

Postby therisingblues » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 am

Congratulations Zane Kirkwood.
True Blue Champion!!!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby spell_check » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 am

therisingblues wrote:
spell_check wrote:Well done to Zane Kirkwood, he might be thanking Riley for having a lengthy time of the sidelines to not take more votes off him!

Good effort by our players; only the 2nd time ever a club has had three players in the top 5...plus I might drag this back up. Felt like yesterday I made this up:

2nd or 3rd placings by Eagles players:
1993 - Shayne Breuer (eq 2nd)
1996 - Andrew Payze (eq 3rd)
1999 - Rhett Biglands (eq 3rd)
Justin Cicolella (eq 3rd)
2000 - Gavin Colville (2nd)
2002 - Justin Cicolella (3rd)
2003 - Justin Cicolella (3rd)
2004 - Gavin Colville (eq 2nd)
2005 - Luke Powell (3rd)
2006 - Justin Cicolella (eq 2nd)
2015 - Angus Rowntree (2nd)
2016 - Nick O'Brien (2nd)
Jared Petrenko (eq 3rd)
James Boyd (eq 3rd)

I think the first time it happened would have involved the names Ebert (MM) followed in no particular order by Graham, Davies and Bagshaw. Correct?

No, but it's Sturt that is the other instance; 2007 had Nelson, Chambers and Crane all poll 14 votes, along with Symes and Dean Howard they finished equal 2nd behind James Allan.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 183 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:01 am

therisingblues wrote:Congratulations Zane Kirkwood.
True Blue Champion!!!

Yes, well done to him, seemed to have it won from the outset and got across the line quite comfortably in the end.

Hopefully he gave his medal a decent wash in the bathroom. You never know what's on those things, particularly since Olsen was the last to touch it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:51 am

At the risk of having another whinge ... I caught bits of the coverage last night but then had to switch it off.

Ellis-Yolman on the carpet asked how it felt to be a favourite for the award replies basically "Ive just tried to go about my business to get back in the AFL side".

Giniver interviewing Roger James, asks him about two specific Power games.

I understand why in both cases, but seriously, on Magarey night can't we just have 5 minutes to focus on the SANFL past, present and future? Historically it's not been an insignificant competition and there's AFL coverage anywhere and everywhere, surely for one night we could have just focussed on the deeds within our league?

Whinge over ... Well done to Kirkwood, quality player and by all reports even better bloke.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:55 am

Going by all the media outlets, I thought CEY was a shoe in...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:58 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Going by all the media outlets, I thought CEY was a shoe in...

Except Tim Ginever. Spot on with his prediction during his 7 news live cross with Soders.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 am

heater31 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Going by all the media outlets, I thought CEY was a shoe in...

Except Tim Ginever. Spot on with his prediction during his 7 news live cross with Soders.

He was indeed.

Well done Kirky, hurts seeing him in those colours, but we made our bed.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10853 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 am

JK wrote:At the risk of having another whinge ... I caught bits of the coverage last night but then had to switch it off.

Ellis-Yolman on the carpet asked how it felt to be a favourite for the award replies basically "Ive just tried to go about my business to get back in the AFL side".

Giniver interviewing Roger James, asks him about two specific Power games.

I understand why in both cases, but seriously, on Magarey night can't we just have 5 minutes to focus on the SANFL past, present and future? Historically it's not been an insignificant competition and there's AFL coverage anywhere and everywhere, surely for one night we could have just focussed on the deeds within our league?

Whinge over ... Well done to Kirkwood, quality player and by all reports even better bloke.

I didn't see CEY's comments, although they're hardly a surprise. Thanks **** he didn't win it. I couldn't handle him making a speech that made reference to the fact he's trying to be selected in an A-grade side, as opposed to joining a pantheon of great players that stretches back over 100 years.

Saw the Roger James interview, and thought the same thing, although to be fair there was some discussion about his SANFL heritage.

On a positive note, though, the interviews with Paul Bagshaw and John Wynne were great, with a reasonable SANFL focus. Bagshaw in particular made reference to the SANFL in receiving his induction.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 am

Magellan wrote:On a positive note, though, the interviews with Paul Bagshaw and John Wynne were great, with a reasonable SANFL focus. Bagshaw in particular made reference to the SANFL in receiving his induction.

Yeah I did catch those and they were indeed fantastic .. Also had to switch over when that poor bastard got stage fright, car crash TV :oops:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:10 am

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:On a positive note, though, the interviews with Paul Bagshaw and John Wynne were great, with a reasonable SANFL focus. Bagshaw in particular made reference to the SANFL in receiving his induction.

Yeah I did catch those and they were indeed fantastic .. Also had to switch over when that poor bastard got stage fright, car crash TV :oops:

Yeah, poor bugger, that was hard to watch. I also found the kids announcing each round annoying.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am

And the sheep are bleating already. Two Crowtards at work who havnt attended the SANFL all year reckon CEY was robbed and the umps didn't vote for AFL players on purpose. When I asked them why Kane Mitchell polled so high they just stared at me blankly. They probably heard the little dig from Triple M this morning and are going by that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3571 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:03 am

Jim05 wrote:And the sheep are bleating already. Two Crowtards at work who havnt attended the SANFL all year reckon CEY was robbed and the umps didn't vote for AFL players on purpose. When I asked them why Kane Mitchell polled so high they just stared at me blankly. They probably heard the little dig from Triple M this morning and are going by that

Every week umpires are criticised for their judgement, however some people still get genuinely surprised or upset when player X doesn't poll well in the MM/Brownlow. :lol:
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 433 times

Postby another grub » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:04 am

Triple M......lol
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 567 times
Been liked: 469 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:05 am

Jim05 wrote:And the sheep are bleating already. Two Crowtards at work who havnt attended the SANFL all year reckon CEY was robbed and the umps didn't vote for AFL players on purpose. When I asked them why Kane Mitchell polled so high they just stared at me blankly. They probably heard the little dig from Triple M this morning and are going by that

Those bloody Victorian anti-South Australian SANFL umpires, it's a conspiracy from over the border I tells ya! They took our jobs!
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:12 am

another grub wrote:Triple M......lol

But the Ravens beat the Eagles by 43 points in round 3 and no Ravens players got votes lol
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3571 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RustyCage » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:20 am

Sounds we work in the same place :p

Had someone who said she'll be talking to the sanfl umpiring director about it
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby JK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:21 am

RustyCage wrote:

Probably be the only f***ing time he listens!!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 am

Congratulations to the winner a fine player indeed.
Also well done the SANFL they put on a good show.
Agree with some previous comments on here,this an SANFL celebration,
please leave out big brother AFL content.
Also enjoyed Baggy and Wynny.
Last edited by VALE PARK on Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:26 am

Think about it the Cows finished 5th and CEY didn't really rate a mention until mid season and finished the season off strongly.

Kirkwood started off well and played in a side that finished top 3. He was probably also help that his main rival in his team to attract votes missed several weeks as well and being a previous winner umpires are aware of how he goes about it.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:48 am

JK wrote:
RustyCage wrote:

Probably be the only f***ing time he listens!!!

Why, does she have big norks?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1567 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL