Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:38 am

Sunday morning drive down to Pt Adelaide
Decided on the Pancake joint.
2 ultimate brekkies came to $50
Service was quite quick.
The first section where you first enter is where we sat did seem a bit squishy, low and behold they have another room and they needed it. After we arrived the lineup was out the door.

Pancakes were light and fluffy.
The rest of the plate was solid.

My hot chocolate was like warm at best unfortunately.

Overall I give it a solid 7.5/10

It was big enough to keep me going for the day and only requiring a light dinner
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11859 times
Been liked: 3604 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:40 pm

You can never go wrong with Pancakes at the Port, food is always pretty good there. Your rating is pretty spot on. Geez the missus and I have spent some money there over the last 4 years lol.

Has anyone on here been to the Cooper Ale House at Gepps Cross for a meal? I forgot to do a review for it, girlfriend and I went there on a Sunday about a month ago now. It was poor to be honest, I had a Chicken Parmi and would give it a 3/10. Been to the Ale House in the city numerous times and it's always been outstanding but this was the complete opposite. It gets an extra point for my pint of Celebration Ale tasting and going down very nice. It's really nice there, the beer garden and restaurant are great but the meal I ate on that day was poor. Pretty disappointed as I had high hopes because of my experience with the City Ale House. Probably won't be rushing back there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10347 times
Been liked: 1521 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Just walked into the sports bar at the colonnades tavern, a tad early for dinner so grabbing pre-meal drinks.
The dopey old barmaid, is deaf, makes no effort. Doesn't even tell you how much your order is.
Customer service is a -10/10 if you aren't a regular by the way she is talking with the alcoholics
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:53 pm

American night at the Colonnades tavern and for the first time they have let me down.
Nothing was Americanised at all, my hot dog is no different to the one In get for $5 at the local fish and chips

Very disappointing

Tonight I have to give them a 0/10.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Stumps wrote:Going to Jamies Italian this week, whats good

Atmosphere, staff/service, desert

Stumps wrote:what isn't?

Entree & Main

Actually it wasnt that bad the time I went, but certainly wasn't great. We went on a voucher, but if I'd had to pay for it, the review would have been on the scathing side. Hopefully the food is better when you visit mate.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:49 am

Had the best whiting I've ever had in my life at the Port Vincent Hotel (The Vernor Hotel). They get it fresh from Port Victoria. The missus porterhouse was sensational too.
Big call as I've eaten fresh whiting cooked straight of the sea all my life. Not a huge fan of whiting usually too.
Only downer was the chick taking orders was useless and unfriendly.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3897 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 am

Wedgie wrote:Had the best whiting I've ever had in my life at the Port Vincent Hotel (The Vernor Hotel). They get it fresh from Port Victoria. The missus porterhouse was sensational too.
Big call as I've eaten fresh whiting cooked straight of the sea all my life. Not a huge fan of whiting usually too.
Only downer was the chick taking orders was useless and unfriendly.

Was in Vincent over the long weekend a few weeks back, drank shed loads at the pub but didn't eat there. $28 schnittys was a bit of a turn off! ( Plus, Mrs Boon and the other Mums had organsied 5 days food for 3 days away ).

The Ventnor is just about the best place to sit and watch the world go bye. Love it there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7500 times
Been liked: 10791 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:36 am

JK wrote:
Stumps wrote:Going to Jamies Italian this week, whats good

Atmosphere, staff/service, desert

Stumps wrote:what isn't?

Entree & Main

Actually it wasnt that bad the time I went, but certainly wasn't great. We went on a voucher, but if I'd had to pay for it, the review would have been on the scathing side. Hopefully the food is better when you visit mate.

I have been there once and I wouldnt have said the food was bad, but not amazing either.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:American night at the Colonnades tavern and for the first time they have let me down.
Nothing was Americanised at all, my hot dog is no different to the one In get for $5 at the local fish and chips

Very disappointing

Tonight I have to give them a 0/10.
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just walked into the sports bar at the colonnades tavern, a tad early for dinner so grabbing pre-meal drinks.
The dopey old barmaid, is deaf, makes no effort. Doesn't even tell you how much your order is.
Customer service is a -10/10 if you aren't a regular by the way she is talking with the alcoholics

Mat aswell go to Macca's and order a "sad meal" mate, ask them to break the toy while they're at it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7930 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Had raw fish sushi for the first time today. Was pretty awesome. Particularly the seasoned tuna
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 am

Headed to the Royal Oak Hotel at Clarendon last night, due to many of the local pubs being pretty bland it is certainly worth the drive over the hill to a classic little town pub. Got a great frontage with outdoor seating, prefect for the summer weather coming up, highly recommend the pub for anyone that hasn't been there before, 30 mins from the CBD but feels like its hours away.

Had the chicken burger, which was a bit unusual with fried avacado and the chicken cooked in butter milk, very very good.

9/10 and will be back plenty of times. Clearly beats the Hub, Vic & Flaggy hotels.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2328 times
Been liked: 3518 times

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:43 am

Anyone been to Golden Boy at the Botanic?
Going there Saturday night for SIL bday, she booked a month ago and still could only get in at 8:30!
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:00 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Has anyone on here been to the Cooper Ale House at Gepps Cross for a meal? I forgot to do a review for it, girlfriend and I went there on a Sunday about a month ago now. It was poor to be honest, I had a Chicken Parmi and would give it a 3/10. Been to the Ale House in the city numerous times and it's always been outstanding but this was the complete opposite. It gets an extra point for my pint of Celebration Ale tasting and going down very nice. It's really nice there, the beer garden and restaurant are great but the meal I ate on that day was poor. Pretty disappointed as I had high hopes because of my experience with the City Ale House. Probably won't be rushing back there.

Went there for lunch with a mate on Friday. My pizza was OK, my mate's seafood basket looked pretty thin for $23. Not really my kind of place, nor is it really anything that resembles a pub or somewhere with atmosphere - more like a schnitzel barn to be honest. Probably great for AFL grand final day piss-ups and similar events, with its large outdoor area. I also have a healthy suspicion of renovated pubs, who have tendency to cram as many patrons in as possible and charge heaps for not much food in order to pay off their debt. Fair enough, but it doesn't make it a 'pub' IMHO. From what I could tell, this is one of those places. Overall, 4 out of 10. Not keen to return.

The wife and I popped past there on a Wednesday night not too long after it reopened and its was absolutely chockers and noisy as ****. The only spot was in the outside bit, and this was in winter. Oh well, I guess it had just opened so that's how it goes. Faced with paying restaurant prices for for pub grub in an atmosphere more like a food court at lunchtime, we hauled arse and went to the Bridgeway instead. Got a good sized schnitzel (with salad bar) for less than the Alehouse was charging, and it was quick and simple, nothing fancy, just like a pub meal ought to be. And no noise. And some real crusty suburban pub character, including seating a booths. I would've given the Bridgeway a 7 on that performance, and would go back gladly.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:24 am

I have 2 rules for pubs -

> Never order a curry/asian dish...majority of pubs have NFI with this stuff
> Never order a seafood dish unless the pub is withing 2kms of a beach

If in any doubt for for the basic parmi, pubs can't afford to stuff that dish up!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

Dutchy wrote:Never order a curry/asian dish...majority of pubs have NFI with this stuff

Yep, good rule. I once ordered a Thai curry at the Brecknock in about 2009 and it did not have the slightest touch of spice in it. And it came with a leek.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:33 am

Dutchy wrote:I have 2 rules for pubs -

If in any doubt for for the basic parmi, pubs can't afford to stuff that dish up!

My old man, with salt water in his veins, says "If you can't see the beach don't order the fish".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7500 times
Been liked: 10791 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:42 am

Booney wrote:

My old man, with salt water in his veins, says "If you can't see the beach don't order the fish".

Agree....also don't order Barramundi in Adelaide or KGW in Darwin!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby HH3 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:45 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Agree....also don't order Barramundi in Adelaide or KGW in Darwin!

Mum ordered Barra at Primo last week. She ate about a quarter of it, and when the waitress collected and asked if there was something wrong, Mum said, "No, no....I'm just used to Barra in Darwin."

The waitress wasn't too bright and replied "I don't know what that means"

Then Mrs HH3, sensing the awkwardness, tried to make things better by saying, "Oh no, it's just fresh in Darwin"

The waitress got really defensive and I just laughed my arse off. Mum and Mrs HH3 felt really bad, but I was having a good time.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:47 am

haha...I used to enjoy Barra, but then had one on a work trip to Darwin and was amazed how much better it was, I had a light bulb moment!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am

Magellan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Never order a curry/asian dish...majority of pubs have NFI with this stuff

Yep, good rule. I once ordered a Thai curry at the Brecknock in about 2009 and it did not have the slightest touch of spice in it. And it came with a leek.

Leaving yourself wide open there mate.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5491 times
Been liked: 5134 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion