Should Australia Day date be changed?

Yes
32%
No
50%
Don't care
18%

Total votes : 50

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:33 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Why does it have to be on a date that a historic event occured

We are only a young country, why don't we create history.

I couldn't care if it was Jan 13th, Feb 2nd etc etc

As long as all Australians can celebrate the day then I'm happy, after all it's about celebrating our country not celebrating a historic event. As long as there is beers, BBQ, back yard cricket, a footy, the sun out I'm happy

What? Are you proposing just selecting a random date for the **** of it?

Would it change the way you celebrate Australia Day if we did.

A random date would mean we can celebrate what we have become not what we have done in the past

Why not make the day in February when school is back so that way schools can help to educate children on our Australia history and really get all children involved

This is why, IMHO, the date won't be changed as there would never likely be a consensus on when to move it too.

As above, let's work on the "feel" of Jan 26 before we select "some random" date. ( Which again, IMO, would be a farce )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 pm

I get what your saying but I'm not sure it's possible to change the feel of the day to please everyone.

The indigenous people I have spoken to won't be happy unless the day becomes a day of mourning (for the darkest day in their history)

Now im not so sure you will ever convince 'white' Australia to do anything other than 'celebrate' the day

A random day would give all Australians the chance to celebrate which imho is what Australia Day should be, a celebration
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 pm

I get what your saying but I'm not sure it's possible to change the feel of the day to please everyone.

The indigenous people I have spoken to won't be happy unless the day becomes a day of mourning (for the darkest day in their history)

Now im not so sure you will ever convince 'white' Australia to do anything other than 'celebrate' the day

A random day would give all Australians the chance to celebrate which imho is what Australia Day should be, a celebration
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:55 pm

I don't think we need to pick a random date, although pretty much any date would be better than New South Wales Day.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Why does it have to be on a date that a historic event occured

We are only a young country, why don't we create history.

I couldn't care if it was Jan 13th, Feb 2nd etc etc

As long as all Australians can celebrate the day then I'm happy, after all it's about celebrating our country not celebrating a historic event. As long as there is beers, BBQ, back yard cricket, a footy, the sun out I'm happy

What? Are you proposing just selecting a random date for the **** of it?

Sure. How about the Bonzateenth of Thongtober? B.C., of course (Before Cricketseason).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:04 pm

How about no date, last Friday in January every year is Australia Day. Saves money on people having sickies for midweek public holidays and no one can get up in arms about significance of dates. Purely about celebrating our great country.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Jase » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:How about no date, last Friday in January every year is Australia Day. Saves money on people having sickies for midweek public holidays and no one can get up in arms about significance of dates. Purely about celebrating our great country.

That's bloody stupid, imagine taking away the great Aussie tradition of the extended long weekend sickie...

You sir should be ashamed of yourself... ;)
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Jase wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:How about no date, last Friday in January every year is Australia Day. Saves money on people having sickies for midweek public holidays and no one can get up in arms about significance of dates. Purely about celebrating our great country.

That's bloody stupid, imagine taking away the great Aussie tradition of the extended long weekend sickie...

I'll add it to the list... :lol:
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:54 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:
Jase wrote:

I'll add it to the list... :lol:

Make it last Thursday in January and you are onto something :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:We should hurry up and become a republic then we can change it to that date.

Oh god, imagine if that was Jan 26th!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:58 pm

if we changed it to the date where most people would like a day off that would be the Monday after this country's greatest annual sporting events: the AFL and Rugby league Grand Finals, which this year would be October 2nd.
Of course if it was this fixed date it would only fall on the Monday once every 7 years, but we would get the Monday holiday in lieu of it falling on a Saturday or Sunday. We would therefore get the Monday off three out of every 7 years.
When it falls on a Friday the door would be open for the AFL to perhaps schedule the Grand Final on this day, allowing fans the extra day to recover from the event. Perhaps this would open the door for potential debate on should the AFL grand final be played on the Australia Day Friday holiday?
If it fell on the Tuesday this would open the door for the bridge sickie, and what AFL fan would not make use of this after their side has just won a flag?
A Wednesday or Thursday Australia Day holiday would provide much needed midweek relief for those who celebrated hard during and after the Grand Final.
I think most people would appreciate the Australia Day holiday on or around October 2nd, we should therefore choose this date.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pseudo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 pm

therisingblues wrote:I think most people would appreciate the Australia Day holiday on or around October 2nd, we should therefore choose this date.

Most Croweaters would be too busy enjoying Labour Day to notice...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 am

Pseudo wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I think most people would appreciate the Australia Day holiday on or around October 2nd, we should therefore choose this date.

Most Croweaters would be too busy enjoying Labour Day to notice...

Oh. #-o
We'd need to move labour day in that case.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 am

How is it that something like discussing a date being changed, or Mundine saying he wont stand for the anthem can create such venomous attacks/discussion/hatred.. but yet things like legalising marijuana, increased interest rates, higher cost of living expenses, statewide power outages, murders, pedophile attacks etc etc all just go past everyone without a second look and very little discussing/interest?!

Honestly, the media has so much to answer for, i really feel like they're trying to build this hatred and divide in this country.. they know removing a snippet of conversation from a controversial person, then manipulate it as a "breaking headline" and plaster it all over the place.

Seems to me they only ever publish articles that they know are going to cause friction - articles about outspoken athletes, misbehaviour from athletes, articles about minority groups and articles about religions such as Muslim.

What ever happened to just reporting the news? Like actual proper news?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:42 am

Zartan wrote:How is it that something like discussing a date being changed, or Mundine saying he wont stand for the anthem can create such venomous attacks/discussion/hatred.. but yet things like legalising marijuana, increased interest rates, higher cost of living expenses, statewide power outages, murders, pedophile attacks etc etc all just go past everyone without a second look and very little discussing/interest?!

Honestly, the media has so much to answer for, i really feel like they're trying to build this hatred and divide in this country.. they know removing a snippet of conversation from a controversial person, then manipulate it as a "breaking headline" and plaster it all over the place.

Seems to me they only ever publish articles that they know are going to cause friction - articles about outspoken athletes, misbehaviour from athletes, articles about minority groups and articles about religions such as Muslim.

What ever happened to just reporting the news? Like actual proper news?

Depends where you get your 'news' from, of course.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 am

Magellan wrote:Depends where you get your 'news' from, of course.

True, but we know 90% of people now just get their "news" from social media etc... and they'll also believe ANYTHING that is on there!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 am

Zartan wrote:

True, but we know 90% of people now just get their "news" from social media etc... and they'll also believe ANYTHING that is on there!

Yep, this is the big issue facing us as an informed society with the right to critique those in power. I don't trust Mark Zuckerberg to tell me what I need to know about what's happening in the world that doesn't involve some form of data mining or raising Facebook's share price.

I'm thankful I'm not on it.
Magellan
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:49 am

Zartan wrote:

And people think news.com.au is an actual news site
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:59 am

HH3 wrote:
Zartan wrote:

And people think news.com.au is an actual news site

Anything containing the words "Kardashian" or "celebrity" is news for them. Or "wardrobe malfunction".
Magellan
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 am

Magellan wrote: Or "wardrobe malfunction".

Useless without pics...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion