AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:59 pm

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:No joke tonight could have been the greatest display of footy ball ever and you'd still complain! Bloody disgrace! So the skills weren't up to your liking, big deal!
Can't stand it how people will look straight to the negative before even giving the positive a chance!

And I love how everyone can shitcan local footy and call it a crap standard but as soon as anything bad is said against women then you are sexist or a dinosaur.
If men play a crap game I'll call them out for it too.
Have left plenty of men's games in disgust aswell

Jim please you haven't even given this comp a chance! Bagged every chance you've got. If you expected a clinical display of skill your an idiot!!! Several of the girls were playing their first proper game of footy! Before you say that's the problem, we need to start somewhere!!!

So you don't like it how people bag the sanfl, but you continually bag this. Hypocritical much???

You are being a bit sexist though, if I am being honest though!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3064 times
Been liked: 2430 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:09 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:No joke tonight could have been the greatest display of footy ball ever and you'd still complain! Bloody disgrace! So the skills weren't up to your liking, big deal!
Can't stand it how people will look straight to the negative before even giving the positive a chance!

And I love how everyone can shitcan local footy and call it a crap standard but as soon as anything bad is said against women then you are sexist or a dinosaur.
If men play a crap game I'll call them out for it too.
Have left plenty of men's games in disgust aswell

Jim please you haven't even given this comp a chance! Bagged every chance you've got. If you expected a clinical display of skill your an idiot!!! Several of the girls were playing their first proper game of footy! Before you say that's the problem, we need to start somewhere!!!

So you don't like it how people bag the sanfl, but you continually bag this. Hypocritical much???

You are being a bit sexist though, if I am being honest though!

I bag the SANFL as much if not more than anyone. If it's a shit product I'll be the first to let you know. As I said I've left plenty of games if SANFL before if they are crap.
I just think like everything the AFL jumps in too quickly and have gone about it the wrong way. Would it of not been better to have a women's comp in each state for a few years first to get the numbers and quality up a bit before throwing them straight from country footy to the big stage?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:41 am

Some observations:

I thought last night's game, from what I saw, was akin to parklands footy. But I'm not sure that the argument about standard is particularly relevant in terms of getting arses on seats. I should know, I watched the majority of North Adelaide's 2015 season. Plenty of people who watch and attend AFL games have done so for 20 plus years, and the standard of exciting, high-scoring attacking footy (which is the underlying premise of the game) has dropped significantly in that time. Yet people still lap it up. People follow their club, and the standard at whatever point in time is irrelevant. Take it a step further and look at EPL where people are fanatically obsessed with supporting teams that cannot possibly reach the same standard as their opposition to be regularly competitive.

However, the irony will be apparent when people who bag the standard of the SANFL start to rave about the Women's comp. I'm expecting that group to be well represented at today's' Crows game.

I'm not sure a lot can be taken form the crowd - a barmy summer's evening in perfect weather, people dying to watch footy again, two traditional rivals with big supporter bases, and free entry. Time will tell as to whether games need to be shifted to bigger venues, as suggested in The Age.

It's a good thing for young girls, it gives them something to aspire to, a way to participate in the game other than simply being a fan or the club physio. The players will become role models for the next generation of footy loving females.

Speaking of female role models, interesting to compare the news earlier this week of the appointment to the High Court of it's first female chief judge in 113 years, a girl who left school at 14 and eventually made her way in a tough profession back when it was heavily male-dominated. This story got less coverage than the Women's comp, but will be a greater source of inspiration for young women.

It's a good thing for the AFL, they can now compete legitimately with women's sports, particularly soccer, on its own turf. The code wars are now back on. I remain cynical about the AFL's motivation for the comp, although as some have said it doesn't really matter how it got there, it's probably a good thing that it's there at all. Ultimately, the AFL's biggest concern is its public image and position in the sports marketplace, and it wants to capitalise on its considerable female fan base, hence last night and whatever flows from it. Pity the AFL can't give more of a shit about the growth and development of the 90% of the footy iceberg that supports the 10% that everyone sees.

It'll be a good thing for tattooists - expect a deluge of female sleeve tatts in the next few years. Savvy investors should buy shares in ink.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 756 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby Corona Man » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:38 am

Pseudo wrote:Tuned in for the third quarter out of curiosity. The standard is beneath that of a SANFL reserves match. Does not bode well for the local womens' league. I shall continue to watch in the vague hope that one of the players gets dacked in a tackle. :twisted:

Got me thinking... what would most girls be going with under the shorts.... bikini bottom, in the way some blokes go for the budgie smugglers, G Banger, Something from The Victoria secrets collection, full commando?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1299 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Tuned in for the third quarter out of curiosity. The standard is beneath that of a SANFL reserves match. Does not bode well for the local womens' league. I shall continue to watch in the vague hope that one of the players gets dacked in a tackle. :twisted:

Got me thinking... what would most girls be going with under the shorts.... bikini bottom, in the way some blokes go for the budgie smugglers, G Banger, Something from The Victoria secrets collection, full commando?

In my mind(or imagination perhaps) they are all going full commando! :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2256 times
Been liked: 2588 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Spargo wrote:

Yep, take away all the hype and Sacred Heart thirds would beat this lot.

Fair go mate...... the seconds perhaps but not the thirds ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:57 pm

Geez a few in this Crows/GWS game i would not want to run into in a dark alley off Hindley Street at night :shock:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3941 times
Been liked: 1225 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Yep, take away all the hype and Sacred Heart thirds would beat this lot.

Plenty of us go watch local footy and the standard doesn't mean anything.

Local footy isn't being beamed prime time at a cost of millions into our lounge rooms either.

I understand it's all new and the need to get the womens comp out there and what not - but maybe keep it a Saturday/Sunday broadcast for at least for a couple of years when the skills we see might be worth a Friday night prime time spot.(on the other end of that stick, I guess we have been watching Collingwood on Friday nights all year ;) ) but you get my drift

The AFL can put the money back into Junior footy and making it more affordable for all Australians - city, country and remote or assist with some of the cost with the construction of chicks changerooms even..

Everyone also carrying on about filling Princes Park. I wonder how many they would've got if they charged going rates. Would you pay to see that level of skill every week?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1753 times
Been liked: 2171 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Great crowd at Thebby!
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2149 times
Been liked: 4089 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Ground looks great too

Kicking skills better in this game than last nights
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4301 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I want to see the first female melee! :lol:
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:21 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I want to see the first female melee! :lol:

Dont we all or the first cripple nipple ;)
locky801
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Brodlach wrote:Ground looks great too

Kicking skills better in this game than last nights

Apart from Phillips goal kicking :oops:
locky801
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Hand balling skills are woeful though
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:39 pm

24 for the Crows can roost the ball, big girl and they said she has lost 40kg since June
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Haha Phillips wanted a piece of Wilson
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm

Brodlach wrote:Haha Phillips wanted a piece of Wilson

How good is Phillips.
Loved her old man........ one of my favourite footballers of all time.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:59 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

How good is Phillips.

I saw personally how good she was as a junior she was better than nearly all of the boys, always thought she would be a gun at AFLW level.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Gozu wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

How good is Phillips.

I saw personally how good she was as a junior she was better than nearly all of the boys, always thought she would be a gun at AFLW level.

I saw her play juniors at SMOSH and she was as good as any of the boys at that age.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Got my Crows hero in this league Sarah "Tex" Perkins, huge girl but has some serious talent
locky801
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL