Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Pseudo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Please ignore this post folks, just testing ...

@Wedgie @Dissident @Dutchy I still can't load the home page, or indeed any part of the hierarchy which includes the General talk board. I got to this thread by burrowing through the "View New Posts" link. Can't see the General board or anything above it directly; I still get an SQL error.

And just to be on-topic: Had lunch at the sushi tram (sic) at Castle Plaza last weekend. Thumbs up from me. 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1604 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:17 am

Booney wrote:Newmarket Hotel - Port Adelaide

Rolled in with the fam bam at about 6 for dinner, there was 3 or 4 tables with a few at each table to around 10-12 people in there already. Good sign, busy usually means good food. We ordered at about 6:15.

Mrs Boon went beef schnitty with diane, junior Boon the Newie Stacker Burger ( Porterhouse, chicken fillet, bacon and assorted green stuff ), Miss Boon fish'n'chips and yours truly the crispy skinned pork belly. Was around the $80 mark all up with a couple of pints, a wine and softie.

I won't review the others but I will harp on about my crispy skinned pork belly. ******* fantastic. The chunk of meat would have been around 15cm long * 10cm deep * 10cm high. Massive lump of porky goodness. The top had been scored in a diamond pattern, one it made for more crackling on the top and two it made cutting into it easier as you could dissect one portion from the next easily. It was melt in the mouth goodness on the bottom and break your teeth crackling on the top. Served on a bed of mash with some rocket, fennel, star anise and white wine reduction it was outstanding.

Mrs Boon battled through the well thick beef schnitty, Junior was huffing and puffing by the end of his burger and Miss is a teenage girl so who ******* knows.

All 4 of us were happy with the salad bar selection, no veg, just salads and around 10 to choose from. All looked fresh.

Now, as noted above we ordered at 6:15. Our meals hit our table at 6:55. 40 minutes for pub grub, good pub grub, just on the too long side for mine but nothing I was going to complain about. By the time we were eating I counted around 45 people in the dining / function room. It was packed. Staff were very attentive taking away plates that had had salad on them, empty glasses etc. Very friendly over the bar and when

It was $10 schnitty night ( along with some other chefs specials ) and locals obviously know that.

On a side note, plenty of people had take away trays with left over dinner / salad and the staff had no problems handing out the foam trays for people to take home.

@HH3 I think we've found our new schnitty special venue.

8.5/10 and we will be going back and I suggest other Portonians give it a go.

We've been there quite a bit in the last 8 months or so, always get a good feed, service and plenty of room to move. In the Ent book too. Excellent joint.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3016 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Commissary - Fullarton Rd Rose Pk, (opposite the race course)
Situated on the ground floor of the old Queen Vic Building
Went for breakfast Saturday morning, exceptional and fast service - YES!
We sat on the deck out the front looking over the beautiful Victoria Pk (which should still be used for horse racing)
Coffees came out within 3-4 mins, meals less than 10mins
My omelette with bacon, baby spinach, mushrooms & provolone cheese was spot on
Mrs Spargo & Brother inlaw's smashed avo, eggs & smoked salmon was also a winner
Both young kids shared the Belgium waffles and a smoothie and loved it
4 meals, 3 coffees, smoothie & a bottle of mineral water came to $92
This place is excellent & what hospitality is about
9.5/10
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5711 times
Been liked: 5277 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MatteeG » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Without reading 124 pages worth- best pubs in the Adelaide Hills for Lunch- GO
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 510 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 pm

MatteeG wrote:Without reading 124 pages worth- best pubs in the Adelaide Hills for Lunch- GO

I like the Crafers Hotel and also the Stanley Bridge Tavern in Verdun is worth a look. Have always had a good meal at the German Arms in Hahndorf too.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 1257 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 pm

MatteeG wrote:Without reading 124 pages worth- best pubs in the Adelaide Hills for Lunch- GO

Maccas - hahndorf......

That will teach you for not reading the thread....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12326 times
Been liked: 3925 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Cheers Pirate.
**** off MT.... :)
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 510 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby OnSong » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:26 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

I like the Crafers Hotel and also the Stanley Bridge Tavern in Verdun is worth a look. Have always had a good meal at the German Arms in Hahndorf too.

Yep x2 on the German Arms.

Also outstanding food at the Lobethal Bierhaus.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 646 times
Been liked: 735 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 pm

+1 for the lobethal Bierhaus

Prancing pony does some pretty decent burgers and awesome pork crackling too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:29 pm

I went to lunch with former poster and all round good guy The Riddler this week and was pleasantly surprised by the destination of choice being the Hereford Beefstouw on Hutt street.

Have been once before and the food there is normally pricey but he paid, So all good. The service is friendly but food slow to arrive. Understandably good food takes time to prepare right and again it was very tasty.

If you want good meat this place is a must visit.

The entertainment highlight was at the meals conclusion when we both got up satisfied and left the resteraunt and began to walk down Hutt street. At that point the great man turned to me and said "shit I didn't pay". Classic Riddler. We returned to find a bemused waitress waiting for us. Clearly my intoxicating conversation skills had distracted him.

9/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:35 pm

It's a steak joint of course it's slow to arrive....but I concur they know steak.
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Cafe Primo Seaford
Last sat night

Banned

Under new management......they wont last long.

Pan fried chicken thingy my Mrs had. Didnt touch a pan, looked and tasted like it was boiled...
Mixed Grill.....had more prawns and calamari then anything else....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12326 times
Been liked: 3925 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 pm

1870 Steakhouse at Port Adelaide

Wife and I both had the 400g Porterhouse.

Hers was spot on. I have mine medium rare so it's par for the course it is almost always a little over cooked. The cuts of meat were tall, succulent and delicious. Her Dianne and my mushroom sauce were full of flavour and near perfect. I'm surprised at how much sauces at restaurants get butchered and straight out f@cked up.

The salad and veg bar aren't too bad and the main room is spacious and family friendly. Nice To see a few players in there as well dining. Obviously some pretty interesting memorabilia up to have a look at during the visit.

Service was friendly, meals were cheap and its in the entertainment book. All the meals that came out looked huge and the place was very busy which should suggest they get a lot of return patronage due to the quality of the experience.

Overall 8.5/10

One Club - Worth more than one visit. :D
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:03 am

wristwatcher wrote:1870 Steakhouse at Port Adelaide

Hers was spot on. I have mine medium rare so it's par for the course it is almost always a little over cooked. The cuts of meat were tall, succulent and delicious. Her Dianne and my mushroom sauce were full of flavour and near perfect. I'm surprised at how much sauces at restaurants get butchered and straight out f@cked up.

The salad and veg bar aren't too bad and the main room is spacious and family friendly. Nice To see a few players in there as well dining. Obviously some pretty interesting memorabilia up to have a look at during the visit.

Service was friendly, meals were cheap and its in the entertainment book. All the meals that came out looked huge and the place was very busy which should suggest they get a lot of return patronage due to the quality of the experience.

Overall 8.5/10

You'll have to try the Adelaide FC's bistro and club rooms next, mate. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7635 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 am

Overall 8.5/10

I'll stick with the Bay Bar and Bistro, thanks.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 am

am Bays wrote:

Overall 8.5/10

Nice spot, but you have to pick the weather.

( Ours has a roof )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7635 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:41 am

am Bays wrote:

Overall 8.5/10

The Bay is clearly superior mate ;)

Actually catching up with a bloke from Centrals at the Ponderosa today and looking forward to the second best SANFL dining in the league at the Grand Central. The Dogs do it real well. 8)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

Booney wrote:
Nice spot, but you have to pick the weather.

( Ours has a roof )

Al fresco eating to match the competition down at Holdfast Shores
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:02 pm

Cove Tavern, Thursday night is Schnitty night

Took the clan there tonight, 2 schnitties for $22. Double that please.

Best schnitties ever? NO, but they are a good size and basic gravies (mushroom, peeper, tomato sauce are thrown in).

Salad and vege bar is available in the price and once again not the best but still not the worst.

All up four schnitties, 1 WED (pint), glass of wine and two softies came to $65.

Solid 6/10 and given the price you can't go wrong on pay Thursday, giving the bride the night off.

Keeps her in a good mood which might but more than likely will not lead to good way to end the day....

Rule #1 in life keep 'em happy....
am Bays
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

am Bays wrote:Cove Tavern, Thursday night is Schnitty night

Took the clan there tonight, 2 schnitties for $22. Double that please.

Best schnitties ever? NO, but they are a good size and basic gravies (mushroom, peeper, tomato sauce are thrown in).

Salad and vege bar is available in the price and once again not the best but still not the worst.

All up four schnitties, 1 WED (pint), glass of wine and two softies came to $65.

Solid 6/10 and given the price you can't go wrong on pay Thursday, giving the bride the night off.

Keeps her in a good mood which might but more than likely will not lead to good way to end the day....

Rule #1 in life keep 'em happy....

That last line looks like a new thread just waiting to happen

"Good way to end the day".
Had one yesterday and have to put it down to doing the dishes for a week.
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion