Not all black and white

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Not all black and white

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

If I was to nail down my boyhood football hero, Scott Hodges would be the man. I can't wait to read this. More than just a football story. Out Monday.

https://www.dymocks.com.au/book/not-all ... XkYlYSGO70

On paper Scotty Hodges had it all. In a football career almost without peer, Scott was drafted as a teenager to represent the team he loved, Port Adelaide, and would go on to win a staggering eight premierships. He would break the State's all-time goal-kicking record, win its highest honor, the Magarey Medal, and be head-hunted as the star forward in the inaugural Adelaide Crows AFL team. He had a beautiful wife, herself the daughter of football royalty, and two gorgeous young kids. Behind all this his life was falling apart. For years, Scott grappled with undiagnosed mental illness, sending him into a spiral of confusion and isolation, drug and alcohol abuse, anger and violence. He kept this secret from the world, and even began planning his own demise. This is the gritty and raw account of how an ordinary man overcame extraordinary demons, and emerged the other side with a message of hope and survival.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Re: Not all black and white

Postby Magellan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:58 am

Booney wrote:If I was to nail down my boyhood football hero, Scott Hodges would be the man. I can't wait to read this. More than just a football story. Out Monday.

On paper Scotty Hodges had it all. In a football career almost without peer, Scott was drafted as a teenager to represent the team he loved, Port Adelaide, and would go on to win a staggering eight premierships. He would break the State's all-time goal-kicking record, win its highest honor, the Magarey Medal, and be head-hunted as the star forward in the inaugural Adelaide Crows AFL team. He had a beautiful wife, herself the daughter of football royalty, and two gorgeous young kids. Behind all this his life was falling apart. For years, Scott grappled with undiagnosed mental illness, sending him into a spiral of confusion and isolation, drug and alcohol abuse, anger and violence. He kept this secret from the world, and even began planning his own demise. This is the gritty and raw account of how an ordinary man overcame extraordinary demons, and emerged the other side with a message of hope and survival.

Sounds like a fascinating read. Didn't know about his darker side, he seemed to have achieved everything in footy. It just goes to show we never know what lurks beneath the surface.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 am

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:If I was to nail down my boyhood football hero, Scott Hodges would be the man. I can't wait to read this. More than just a football story. Out Monday.

Sounds like a fascinating read. Didn't know about his darker side, he seemed to have achieved everything in footy. It just goes to show we never know what lurks beneath the surface.

Agreed and in the times we live it will be a life story that many people will relate to, be it their own or of someone they know.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:59 am

My favourite player just behind Craig Bradley.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2214 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Postby GMcG » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Does Tylor feature in it at all?
GMcG
Under 16s

Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Interesting listening on the radio this morning about the time he was ready to beat up Andrew Jarman in the car park after Crows training. Sounds like it will be a good read.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 501 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:45 pm

He was a poster on this site so he has to be a legend!

Lucky enough to meet the guy a few times after chatting on safooty. Great bloke with some great stories to tell.
I lost count of the amount of times North had a good lead against Port when both were quality sides and he would come out and kick a bag in the last quarter to get the win for Port. Might get this and have a read.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dog_ger2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

Aerie wrote:Interesting listening on the radio this morning about the time he was ready to beat up Andrew Jarman in the car park after Crows training. Sounds like it will be a good read.

Same here.

Sounds like he is just human.

One of us.

He was great shooting for goals.

When I bought my home, the neighbours told me he used to swim in my pool.

%#ck I hope that puts value on my property, lol.

Hi scott.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 am

I'll be buying a copy
How about that 1994 Grand Final!
Good luck mate :YMAPPLAUSE:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 am

Just one of those opposition players you disliked cos they were so ******* dominant!!
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11782 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I'll be buying a copy

One of my fondest PAFC premiership victories. The exchange on the members wing between Camporeale and Borlase will live with me forever.

Camporeale, during the third quarter, had a scrap with Daisy and upon getting to their feet Campo pointed to the scoreboard. The moment Borlase got hold of him in the last quarter to remind him was pure bliss. I still hate Camporeale. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Booney wrote:

One of my fondest PAFC premiership victories. The exchange on the members wing between Camporeale and Borlase will live with me forever.

Camporeale, during the third quarter, had a scrap with Daisy and upon getting to their feet Campo pointed to the scoreboard. The moment Borlase got hold of him in the last quarter to remind him was pure bliss. I still hate Camporeale. :D

How good was Hodges in that last quarter!!
Sensational!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I couldn't stand Hodges because he was too darn good. Not only did he sink the Redlegs with that famous kick in the 96 Prelim, he also played his best game for the Crows against bloody Geelong as well and I was at both games cursing him out. Having said all that, I was saddened when I read about how his life had turned out after football. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1687 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby another grub » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 pm

My second favourite, just behind Darren Smith
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 400 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:07 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

How good was Hodges in that last quarter!!
Sensational!

If I remember correctly, I was at that game with a mate who is an Eagles supporter, and my brother and I enjoyed the Westies reserves premiership :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2567 times
Been liked: 1811 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Yep great player if my memory is right I was at the game at Footy Park in 1994 when he cost us a spot into a GF.

Also was at Alberton with my Maggy mate when he played against the Bloods I witnessed him kick I think it was a lazy 15 goals.

But alas those days of a real Magpie player and a Magpie team emulating all this is over because of the AFL INTERLOPERS.

Oh for those halcyon day of the SANFL all over now.
Last edited by Apachebulldog on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm

And there's ******* whinging in here. :roll:

**** off to the 576 other threads and sulk in there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:49 pm

The only whinging is against the AFL INTERLOPERS.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Just stating facts players of the Hodges calibre will never be emulated in a Magpie side cos they do not exist anymore.

Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Booney wrote:And there's ******* whinging in here. :roll:

**** off to the 576 other threads and sulk in there.

Just coz you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's whinging.
But there are other threads to DISCUSS it.
amber_fluid
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum