Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2017 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Havent seen the program yet but heard there was the return on sunday one day games specifically for the one day comp, can anyone confirm?
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Eagles2017 wrote:Havent seen the program yet but heard there was the return on sunday one day games specifically for the one day comp, can anyone confirm?

The original draft definitely had Sunday one dayers. Hopefully they've been dropped from the final version.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Myth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Cooper Thompson is at Woodville isn't he??
The Myth

Been liked: 10 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:11 pm

The Myth wrote:Cooper Thompson is at Woodville isn't he??
Think he just called in for a can of coke on the way past to continue his journey down Port Rd by the looks of it....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby The Hound » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:40 pm

From the program I can see, looks like the following Sundays will have 1 day (inc finals) and 2nd day of 2 day games on them
29 Oct, 19 Nov, 3 Dec, 7 Jan, 21 Jan, 11 Feb, 25 Feb and 11 March before 2 day finals start
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 pm

The Hound wrote:From the program I can see, looks like the following Sundays will have 1 day (inc finals) and 2nd day of 2 day games on them
29 Oct, 19 Nov, 3 Dec, 7 Jan, 21 Jan, 11 Feb, 25 Feb and 11 March before 2 day finals start

Dec 3? Surely not. Adelaide Test match, thought that would be weekend free of cricket?

Port up to their usual tricks then. Be weary of Cooper Thompson, some off field stuff would be very worried about culture issues. Don't think they need fast bowlers with Benton, Thomas and O'Hara, unless they are going down the West Torrens game plan of four good quicks.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby The Myth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:19 pm

The only tricks I've heard going on are Woodville and opening up the old cheque book big time
The Myth

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 pm

The Myth wrote:The only tricks I've heard going on are Woodville and opening up the old cheque book big time

Well Woodville woud be the wealthiest club in the comp probably, they would hate what West Torrens did last year. Think they needed to spend the money on a decent coach. Have they signed any new players yet? Nobody coming thru, finished bottom in all Grades and A's about 8th, so need to recruit or will go nowhere!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Eagles2017 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 pm

The Myth wrote:The only tricks I've heard going on are Woodville and opening up the old cheque book big time

Who have they opened the cheque book for? only blokes they've recruited as far as I know is Thompson and Dickman and they aren't exactly demanding big cash are they?
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Postby The Myth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:14 pm

Paying either of those blokes would be deemed as paying too much. Have heard Weatherly will be back possibly which is an expensive exercise in itself.
They have left no stone unturned and have been very aggressive but good luck to them. If they have it then flaunt it I guess.

They would have been hit pretty hard with the success of West Torrens last year no doubt and to some degree Port. Be interesting to see if or how they can bounce back.
The Myth

Postby Lineandlength » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:From the program I can see, looks like the following Sundays will have 1 day (inc finals) and 2nd day of 2 day games on them

Dec 3? Surely not. Adelaide Test match, thought that would be weekend free of cricket?

Port up to their usual tricks then. Be weary of Cooper Thompson, some off field stuff would be very worried about culture issues. Don't think they need fast bowlers with Benton, Thomas and O'Hara, unless they are going down the West Torrens game plan of four good quicks.

I am enjoying following "where's Cooper?"- Pooraka, Northern Districts, Woodville, Port Adelaide - anyone know for sure?

What off field stuff?
Lineandlength
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:50 am

He's gone to Woodville guys. I've heard from a few of the Peckers players that he's been at the players meeting and both training sessions that they've had.

With the awesome weather we had over the past few days, who else is real excited for the upcoming season? I know I am.
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Port Pirie Power » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 am

Anyone else surprised about Blewy being appointed 19s coach? I thought it was abit out of the blue but it's good to see him back in SA. Anyone know how this impacted on John Palmer? I've only heard good things about him and his coaching. Hope he is still involved with cricket throughout the SACAs!
Port Pirie Power
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby The Hound » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 am

Eagles2014 wrote:

Well Woodville woud be the wealthiest club in the comp probably, they would hate what West Torrens did last year. Think they needed to spend the money on a decent coach. Have they signed any new players yet? Nobody coming thru, finished bottom in all Grades and A's about 8th, so need to recruit or will go nowhere!

Heard they were the only SA club not represented at the recent National Coaches Summit in Brisbane!, anyone confirm?

If only they had released there better juniors players into seniors over the past couple of years they may have built some depth. Trying to win that elusive 16 Reds premiership (which is still elusive) :oops: may cost them :lol:. real disconnect between juniors and seniors is hurting them
The Hound
Reserves

Postby Eagles2017 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm

They won a red premiership about 4 years ago...

They were definitely the only SA club not represented
Eagles2017
Mini-League

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 pm

Port Pirie Power wrote:Anyone else surprised about Blewy being appointed 19s coach? I thought it was abit out of the blue but it's good to see him back in SA. Anyone know how this impacted on John Palmer? I've only heard good things about him and his coaching. Hope he is still involved with cricket throughout the SACAs!

Palmer I'm pretty sure is still involved, assistant for U19s and with Emerging Redbacks squad.

Is Blewett the Strikers batting coach? I've lost track of the appointments. Maybe they needed a full time role for him in order to get his services?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Hound » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:32 am

heater31 wrote:
The Myth wrote:Cooper Thompson is at Woodville isn't he??
Think he just called in for a can of coke on the way past to continue his journey down Port Rd by the looks of it....

Thompson to Pt A[/quote] Seems as though the car ran out of petrol near Oval Avenue, playing for the Peckers!
The Hound
Reserves

Postby backoftheroom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:53 pm

So I've had a bit longer lunch break than usual today. Gave me time to look into the wicket takers over the past 6 years (3 with and three without the Regulation Kookaburra) and I think the results speak for themselves. Highlighted in Yellow are spinners while the greyed out are quicks (there may be a few errors in here as I have not seen every one of these guys play EDIT: DAN CULLEN SHOULD BE YELLOW IN THE FIRST SEASON).

The main question I have for you all here is what other factors come in to play here? I attribute the increased number of spinners to flatter wickets (both weather and curating taken into account) as well as the main one being the less durable Turf ball. I would like to do the same thing for the B Grade as well but my knowledge of players there isn't good enough to say spinner/seamer to half the names.

Top20WicketTakers.png
Top 20 Wicket Takers by Season 2011-2017
Top20WicketTakers.png (1008.68 KiB) Viewed 641 times
*I'm not great with editing so I've thrown this together on paint and had to make it a small enough file to be posted here, so the names are a bit fuzzy.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Great research Backoftheroom =D>

Would think the lower grades would tell a similar story with the better/flatter wickets. Would love to see the Turf ball used in 2nd grade as well.

I think generally clubs are looking to give overs in lower grades to bowlers who may one day have an impact at 1st/2nd grade level - pace bowlers with some height/pace, spinners who give it a rip. There seem to be fewer lower grade pop gun medium pacers and dart finger spinners, which is a good thing. Of course there still are plenty of these bowlers around. Previously though they would get used in preference to raw quicks/spinners just because they would help win 3rd grade matches.

How are your club reviews coming along? ;)
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby backoftheroom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Great research Backoftheroom =D>

Would think the lower grades would tell a similar story with the better/flatter wickets. Would love to see the Turf ball used in 2nd grade as well.

I think generally clubs are looking to give overs in lower grades to bowlers who may one day have an impact at 1st/2nd grade level - pace bowlers with some height/pace, spinners who give it a rip. There seem to be fewer lower grade pop gun medium pacers and dart finger spinners, which is a good thing. Of course there still are plenty of these bowlers around. Previously though they would get used in preference to raw quicks/spinners just because they would help win 3rd grade matches.

How are your club reviews coming along? ;)

Not sure where I got up to in the end, got to about 4th on the table from last season. Can't really add much else to the teams that played finals, although Port seem to have tried very hard. Threw money at a number of players and there was a lot of buzz around Alex Gregory moving; but he has been linked to 4 or 5 clubs though and is going to stay at Sturt.
backoftheroom

Been liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps