The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:the libs will 100% do a deal with Xenophon if it means govt.

They just dont want to admit it now, because it might mean people that would otherwise vote libs in a safe lib seat voting xenophon thinking its the same anyway.

because labor votes in those areas will almost certainly all go do X on preferences if he polls more than what labor do.

This is spot on and Marshall doesn't want to let us know it and Xenophon doesn't want to be seen to be in bed with either, which is slightly amusing as in essence he'll be the whore who'll shack up with anyone who wants to.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:the libs will 100% do a deal with Xenophon if it means govt.

They just dont want to admit it now, because it might mean people that would otherwise vote libs in a safe lib seat voting xenophon thinking its the same anyway.

because labor votes in those areas will almost certainly all go do X on preferences if he polls more than what labor do.

This is spot on and Marshall doesn't want to let us know it and Xenophon doesn't want to be seen to be in bed with either, which is slightly amusing as in essence he'll be the whore who'll shack up with anyone who wants to.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:At this stage...Marshall hasnt said a word and apart from the ads...where is Nick?

Xenophon has been very vocal about it, prior to and after announcement of election:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-06/n ... ps/8592162

He also appeared on state and national tv discussing it yesterday.

Here's his press release (a dated mode of getting news and views out, but here it is nonetheless): https://sabest.org.au/media/oakden-scan ... documents/

At the debate I was at last night, Xenophon expressed disgust for the situation and his candidate for Schubert, who was also present, has been on the Oakden Response Oversight Committee (his sister was resident there....): https://sabest.org.au/electorates/schubert/

Among his points when it was discussed last night was that he would increase protections for whistle-blowers, ensuring that this sort of thing can be revealed sooner than it was.

So to say Xenophon has been quiet is not quite right.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:48 pm

One thing is for sure, this election campaign and upcoming results are some of the most fascinating political developments in this states history.

It's got people talking like no election I can recall.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:49 pm

I dont watch enough tv......oops

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:38 pm

More from Xenophon today: https://indaily.com.au/news/2018/03/01/ ... t-secrecy/

Also, Libs/Lab will be putting each other last on the preferences.
Xenophon not having the expected impact?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:41 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The Greens run inner melbourne...

On the Greens...who heard that dickhead here who said the V8s should move from Vic Pk????

I did and he's 100% correct
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Grenville » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm

jo172 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Yes, it's disgraceful.
But is Oakden the smoking gun everyone thinks it will be?
I think an interesting question is, do people have enough anger to vote for Marshall?

I tend to suspect rusted ons will stay to their rusted ons.

Swing voters will head towards X.

Don't underestimate how much the re-distribution will assist the Libs.

My rough guess we'll end up with:

Libs: 22
ALP: 16
X: 4
Ind: 4

In the circumstances where the ALP would need all 8 of the above Independents and X Team to form government I suspect that they will form a similar deal to the 2010 Federal Election whereby all will guarantee the Libs confidence and supply but have to negotiate on everything else.

Possibly Bedford will not guarantee confidence or supply.

Re will voters head to Marshall is a very interesting and relevant question. Hard to overlook that statewide polling has the ALP at a historically low primary vote. Could get very ugly for them in the LC.

For those who like a wager the $1.33 you can get for a hung parliament offers far better returns than the bank.

In terms of putting my money where my mouth is I've wagered:

40 u - hung parliament @ $1.33
1 u - gary johanson in Port Adelaide @ $8
2 u - Corey Wingard in Gibson @ $2
2 u - Frances Bedford in Florey @ $1.7
1 u - Vincent Tarzia in Hartley @ $8
2 u - Steven Marshall in Dunstan @ $1.6
2 u - Matt Cowdrey in Colton @ $2.20

Frances Bedford is a good bet lad, a popular local member who I reckon will win comfortably. Would've preferred to see her knock of Gentleman Jack Snelling but the weasel did the Harold Holt. Gary Johanson at $8 is one I'll have a nibble at as well.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Grenville wrote:Gary Johanson at $8 is one I'll have a nibble at as well.

I don't bet against red in Port Adelaide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:50 pm

morell wrote:

On the Greens...who heard that dickhead here who said the V8s should move from Vic Pk????

I agree, and I think we should do the same as was done with the old Grand Prix - move it to Albert Park and let it disrupt Melbourne rather than Adelaide...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Grenville » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Booney wrote:
Grenville wrote:Gary Johanson at $8 is one I'll have a nibble at as well.

I don't bet against red in Port Adelaide.

Normally I wouldn't either but if anyone is going to pinch the seat it's this bloke I reckon.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

Psyber wrote:
morell wrote:

I agree, and I think we should do the same as was done with the old Grand Prix - move it to Albert Park and let it disrupt Melbourne rather than Adelaide...

For the first time ever, I disagree with Psyber :shock:
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Corona Man » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Psyber wrote:
morell wrote:

Nup you can keep your bogan festive thanks.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 pm

why are people so against the event? brings lots of people and money into the state and is actually profitable unlike the F1

I have been before but i have very little interest in it. doesnt mean its not good for the state though. people who are disrupted by it can suck it up for a few weeks a year :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 am

bennymacca wrote:why are people so against the event? brings lots of people and money into the state and is actually profitable unlike the F1

I have been before but i have very little interest in it. doesnt mean its not good for the state though. people who are disrupted by it can suck it up for a few weeks a year :D

Absolutely, it's up there with Bathurst for the people who follow the sport and it's far easier to access and far easier to attend in so many aspects. Flights, accommodation etc.

Pisses me off when the eastern suburbs folks complain their silk tie is getting wrinkles in it because their 20 minute commute has turned into 45 minutes for 6 days a year. Suck it up.

As for moving it, why?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 am

Given this is SA Footy ;

Statement by SANFL CLubs :

http://sanfl.com.au/2018/03/01/statement-sanfl-clubs/

It’s a fact of life that gaming machines provide an important source of revenue for SANFL Clubs.

However, even with gaming machine revenue, it’s a challenge to keep our head above water and do all the things we want to do.

If enough people vote for politicians who want to change regulations on gaming machines, including $1 maximum bets and an introduction of seven-year gaming machine licences, effectively they will be killing SANFL clubs.

This would mean an end to many of the valuable football programs we deliver to the community. From local schools and junior development programs in our local area and regional zone, to our elite pathway programs and future expansion of our female programs.

A few facts

It’s important for you to understand a few of the facts about gaming machines and your footy club:

Clubs introduced gaming and this revenue stream allowed SANFL clubs to survive and continue to employ people and provide quality football programs.

Gaming revenue is crucial to SANFL clubs’ viability – it’s contribution to total annual club income can be as much as 50 per cent.

SANFL Clubs are not-for-profit. Club income is invested in programs for members and the community. Decreased revenue must lead to decreased programs and increased costs to members and participants.

Before gaming machines, local SANFL footy was a very different environment. Before 1994, we drew big crowds, attracted more media attention, club membership levels were high and strong sponsorship dollars gave us a greater pool of funds.

South Australian clubs, SANFL Clubs included, recently completed the implementation of software technology and the purchase of new machines, to comply with a reduction in maximum bets from $10 to $5. This was a multi-million cost on community-based clubs like ours.

Volunteers at SANFL Clubs are already stretched to the limit. Reducing income from gaming machines will place even more demands on our volunteers.

SANFL Clubs are responsible service providers which operate under a highly regulated gaming environment. We are also Club Safe accredited and staff have the training and awareness to ensure we minimise harm with public gaming.

As we head towards the State election, its important to consider how each political party is promising to support your football club and vote wisely.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:49 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:why are people so against the event? brings lots of people and money into the state and is actually profitable unlike the F1

Absolutely, it's up there with Bathurst for the people who follow the sport and it's far easier to access and far easier to attend in so many aspects. Flights, accommodation etc.

Pisses me off when the eastern suburbs folks complain their silk tie is getting wrinkles in it because their 20 minute commute has turned into 45 minutes for 6 days a year. Suck it up.

As for moving it, why?

I can't stand car racing at all, but the Clipsal is a good event for the state.

Good point re: pissing and moaning about commuting - how long do we have to have an annual event with inherent road restrictions before people learn that there's going to be road restrictions? Just leave for work earlier, or take a week of your annual leave around March.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Booney wrote:

As for moving it, why?
Crowds are down, revenue is down, sponsors dropping off. It's also massively overpriced.

People don't like it because it boorish, unseemly and attracts **** head bogans. Costs a piss load of public money and causes significant inconvenience, not just for Eastern Suburb types, but for anyone wanting to access the City, or go through it.

It's a relic of a time gone by. Time to freshen it up and move it on.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:49 am

morell wrote:
Booney wrote:

As for moving it, why?
Crowds are down, revenue is down, sponsors dropping off. It's also massively overpriced.

People don't like it because it boorish, unseemly and attracts **** head bogans. Costs a piss load of public money and causes significant inconvenience, not just for Eastern Suburb types, but for anyone wanting to access the City, or go through it.

One weekend a year that 240,000+ people attend, I think you're wrong but it's not something you'll admit so whatever.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am

morell wrote:Crowds are down, revenue is down, sponsors dropping off. It's also massively overpriced.

Crowds down? Got within 500 odd people of the best ever Thursday crowd set over 10 years ago.

Conscious decision was made not to sign a naming rights sponsor for the 20th Anniversary.

Probably right on the overpriced bit but I'll still watch it most likely on Foxtel if I dont attend the track.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics