The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:24 am

johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:
Alex wrote:I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Scott Hodges makes the same point in his recent book, explaining why to this day he continues to support Collingwood in the AFL. I strongly was against the AFL intrusion in the SANFL, however it has happened and it's now become the lesser of two evils to me if the alternative is no magpies at all. It's a sad state of affairs for us old Port fans, hating the AFL in SANFL but now having to hope for it to continue.. :(

You can't hang you're hat on that, all new players to all clubs need to be educated on their clubs history. Just remember that because the Power aren't black and white or called the magpies doesn't mean they're not Port Adelaide, born at Alberton not at SANFL headquarters upon some hard work and vision 7 years earlier. You don't knock someone for trying to seek promotion in the workforce nor should we knock the PAFC for wanting to prove themselves in the highest competition, whatever colours or name they might be.

Another case of you don’t agree with me so you are wrong.

A passionate subject that people with no vested interest or emotional involvement will never understand.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10718 times

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:
Alex wrote:I have been a Port Magpies fan since 1988 when I was 7 years old..I continue to support the Port Magpies and regularly attend the games but have not been a member since the Power amalgamation. I'm a Brisbane Lions fan in the AFL and have no affection for Port Power whatsoever. I never saw them as the same thing in 1997, especially when a number of the players of the time specifically tried to distance themselves from any Magpies heritage with comments that they made to the media.

Scott Hodges makes the same point in his recent book, explaining why to this day he continues to support Collingwood in the AFL. I strongly was against the AFL intrusion in the SANFL, however it has happened and it's now become the lesser of two evils to me if the alternative is no magpies at all. It's a sad state of affairs for us old Port fans, hating the AFL in SANFL but now having to hope for it to continue.. :(

You can't hang you're hat on that, all new players to all clubs need to be educated on their clubs history. Just remember that because the Power aren't black and white or called the magpies doesn't mean they're not Port Adelaide, born at Alberton not at SANFL headquarters upon some hard work and vision 7 years earlier. You don't knock someone for trying to seek promotion in the workforce nor should we knock the PAFC for wanting to prove themselves in the highest competition, whatever colours or name they might be.

A passionate subject that people with no vested interest or emotional involvement will never understand.

Doesn’t mean everyone has to agree or will feel the same
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:

Just because I don’t have a vested interest, doesn’t mean I can’t read.
Read Alex’s post, then read LMA’s response.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:56 am

mighty hounds wrote:
Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
LMA wrote:

Doesn’t mean everyone has to agree or will feel the same

Exactly
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Rising Power » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:15 am

GMcG wrote:

Alex, there isn't a Magpies anymore, unfortunately.

There isn't a Brisbane Bears or a Fitzroy Lions either, but he still follows the Brions. Might as well just give up on footy hey.,
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:37 am

Rising Power wrote:
GMcG wrote:

There isn't a Brisbane Bears or a Fitzroy Lions either, but he still follows the Brions. Might as well just give up on footy hey.,
Wrong, Fiztroy FC the incorporated body still exist and they play in a suburban Melbourne competition.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:43 am

johntheclaret wrote:Just because I don’t have a vested interest, doesn’t mean I can’t read.

Alex is right, players drafted to Port Adelaide in the early days at AFL level didn't have an affiliation, appreciation or understanding of what the PAFC was or is about, can't blame them, they'd not been educated and in the early days at AFL level the PAFC chiefs ( in their misguided wisdom in my view ) tried to move away from the suburban club to make us a national presence ( one we've since completely changed to embrace Port Adelaide, the area. )

LM is right, if Alex based his views of the PAFC on the views of the newly recruited AFL players then that's not, IMO or that of LMA, reason to disenfranchise yourself from what you once supported. Each to their own though, but I agree with LMA's comments.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:52 am

heater31 wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
GMcG wrote:

Wrong, Fiztroy FC the incorporated body still exist and they play in a suburban Melbourne competition.....

Amalgamated with Fitzroy Reds, so they don't exist either.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I don't agree that the Magpies don't exist anymore. It might not be what it once was but as long as there is a team in the SANFL wearing black and white and called the Port Adelaide Magpies then I will support them. It's not ideal but it still makes me happier to have this than nothing at all, even if it partly clinging to nostalgia. I enjoy attending SANFL games more than AFL games and don't want to give that up. I wouldn't support another team so having the Magpies as they are still serves a purpose. My initial post was merely to point out that there is at least one non Port Power following Magpies fan left...

The Bears/Fitzroy merger didn't make we want to give up on footy or cause too much angst. I was a Bears fan originally, some of the Fitzroy fans felt differently(although many are on board) and that is their choice.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm

Alex wrote:I don't agree that the Magpies don't exist anymore. It might not be what it once was but as long as there is a team in the SANFL wearing black and white and called the Port Adelaide Magpies then I will support them. It's not ideal but it still makes me happier to have this than nothing at all, even if it partly clinging to nostalgia. I enjoy attending SANFL games more than AFL games and don't want to give that up. I wouldn't support another team so having the Magpies as they are still serves a purpose. My initial post was merely to point out that there is at least one non Port Power following Magpies fan left...

The Bears/Fitzroy merger didn't make we want to give up on footy or cause too much angst. I was a Bears fan originally, some of the Fitzroy fans felt differently(although many are on board) and that is their choice.

Sounds familiar. ;)

Welcome aboard, Alex, it's a topic you can grow old with this one. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 pm

GMcG wrote:

Correct Centurion the Magpies played their last game in 2013 against Glenelg a lot of tears were shed that day by Magpie supporters and also many other supporters of all other clubs were saddened by the demise of the REAL Magpies.

This is the fifth year of the AFL Power RESERVES also tagged as Magpies PFFFTT only one Magpie in this side Summertown the title MAGPIES is wtill allowed to placate and keep some of the Port people happy its a total farce..
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 pm

morell wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
morell wrote:Ahhh yes, nothing like personal anecdotes.

Meanwhile

Ah yes, the Power is popular, therefore the Magpies have to die!

Like how millions shop at Woolworths, so who gives a F### if Joe's Fruit and Veg dies off.

Isn't it great how everyone does the same thing and individual choice slowly dies? I love the how the corporates tell us what is good for us.

It doesn't matter that the unpolluted version of the Magpies will draw an average of over 3,500 per game, and will sell out wherever they play if they make a Grand Final. Just look at all the happy sheep marching from Rundle Mall to Adelaide Oval singing "Never Tear Us Apart" while their leaders find a homogenously pleasing way to stab their mother club out of existence.

lolwut

An $NAFU barnacle crossed with a corporate hipster. Well I never.

The unpolluted Port Adelaide are playing in the AFL and have been since 1997 when we left the dregs behind. Best keep up.

Keep up?
I DID say unpolluted Magpies. As to which is the unpolluted Port Adelaide... I will not enter that debate.

P.S. Woolies can be great and still leave room for those independents that keep them honest. It is when such giants actively seek out those smaller players and attempt to put them to the axe that ruins things.
Does the comparison make more sense now LMA?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Just because I don’t have a vested interest, doesn’t mean I can’t read.

Alex is right, players drafted to Port Adelaide in the early days at AFL level didn't have an affiliation, appreciation or understanding of what the PAFC was or is about, can't blame them, they'd not been educated and in the early days at AFL level the PAFC chiefs ( in their misguided wisdom in my view ) tried to move away from the suburban club to make us a national presence ( one we've since completely changed to embrace Port Adelaide, the area. )

LM is right, if Alex based his views of the PAFC on the views of the newly recruited AFL players then that's not, IMO or that of LMA, reason to disenfranchise yourself from what you once supported. Each to their own though, but I agree with LMA's comments.

The bolded phrase could be reworded "in the early days at AFL level the PAFC chiefs ( in their misguided wisdom in my view ) wanted to f#ck the Magpies off to make us a national presence", but that would be the wrong spin to win over disenfranchised Magpie fans, but I could easily understand how they would feel this is the truer of the two sentences, and totally justifies why supporters like Alex thought "Well f#ck you too!" At the end of the day, Port thought it would be harmful to coach their recruits to embrace the Magpie tradition.
Then the Power came with an Olive Branch, and the Magpies gave them a Hotel in return, and now the Power has complete control over the Magpies, and the discussion has turned to how they can kill them off.
For this discussion to work we will need to ignore the thousands that want the Magpies to live. To achieve this, we need to model a dialogue that introduces some sense of inevitability to the discussion. We also need to play down the number of supporters of the Magpies in the SANFL. You can do this easily if you actually control the Magpies. the inevitability can be introduced little by little after that.
Once they are killed off, their supporters will say things like, "Well, we had no choice in the end..." and they are starting to say things like that now.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:50 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

The bolded phrase could be reworded "in the early days at AFL level the PAFC chiefs ( in their misguided wisdom in my view ) wanted to f#ck the Magpies off to make us a national presence", but that would be the wrong spin to win over disenfranchised Magpie fans, but I could easily understand how they would feel this is the truer of the two sentences, and totally justifies why supporters like Alex thought "Well f#ck you too!" At the end of the day, Port thought it would be harmful to coach their recruits to embrace the Magpie tradition.
Then the Power came with an Olive Branch, and the Magpies gave them a Hotel in return, and now the Power has complete control over the Magpies, and the discussion has turned to how they can kill them off.
For this discussion to work we will need to ignore the thousands that want the Magpies to live. To achieve this, we need to model a dialogue that introduces some sense of inevitability to the discussion. We also need to play down the number of supporters of the Magpies in the SANFL. You can do this easily if you actually control the Magpies. the inevitability can be introduced little by little after that.
Once they are killed off, their supporters will say things like, "Well, we had no choice in the end..." and they are starting to say things like that now.

Well said mate!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2214 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:59 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

Careful mate, Topsy will accuse you of "going on" a bit.

Anyway, the comment you make regarding those early days, did you consider ( I doubt it ) the ridiculous rules the SANFL put in place pertaining to the AFL/SANFL relationship? I didn't think so.

That divorce was subjected to the involvement of a third party.

As for some narrative that kills off the Magpies completely, Koch recently stated there's no reason ( in the advent of an AFL reserves competition ) that Port Adelaide couldn't continue to field a team in the SANFL.

But that's from Port, so it's just spin, because you know it is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm

therisingblues wrote:I DID say unpolluted Magpies. As to which is the unpolluted Port Adelaide... I will not enter that debate.

That's easy. Neither one.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby therisingblues » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 pm

I did hear that Koch has said that. A few Power supporters have since come on here to argue against his comments. Rucci is leading the charge as I understand it, though I don't read the Advertiser very often, there are a few others of influence also arguing against the continuation of the Magpies in the SANFL.
I think there is a real danger that if or when a proper AFL reserves competition gets established, the Port chiefs will make a decision based on popular consensus of the time. In other words, if there are enough Port people saying kill the Maggies off at that time, then that is what they will do. Considering the recent history of double talk that has come out of Alberton, I would not be surprised if the seeds of that decision are not being sown in the media right now.
I hope that Koch feels strong enough about this issue to stay the course, in spite of what others around him are saying.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm

therisingblues wrote:I did hear that Koch has said that. A few Power supporters have since come on here to argue against his comments. Rucci is leading the charge as I understand it, though I don't read the Advertiser very often, there are a few others of influence also arguing against the continuation of the Magpies in the SANFL.
I think there is a real danger that if or when a proper AFL reserves competition gets established, the Port chiefs will make a decision based on popular consensus of the time. In other words, if there are enough Port people saying kill the Maggies off at that time, then that is what they will do. Considering the recent history of double talk that has come out of Alberton, I would not be surprised if the seeds of that decision are not being sown in the media right now.
I hope that Koch feels strong enough about this issue to stay the course, in spite of what others around him are saying.

Kochie only says what people want to hear unfortunately.
The man’s full of shit!!

He’s forgotten where he came from living over there in Sydney.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I did hear that Koch has said that. A few Power supporters have since come on here to argue against his comments. Rucci is leading the charge as I understand it, though I don't read the Advertiser very often, there are a few others of influence also arguing against the continuation of the Magpies in the SANFL.

The man’s full of shit!!

:lol:

#CPF
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

The man’s full of shit!!

:lol:

#CPF

I’m over 40 I don’t do this abbreviated hashtag crap.

Please explain.
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL