The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:21 pm

DOC wrote:How does the private sector stack up against the police, army, navy, airforce, firebrigade, foreign affairs, customs, immigration, foreign affairs and the work they do?

You need to be able compare like for like, then we get into the argument of what is a government service and who should provide it.

Comparing say housing trust building employees to private sector builders may be fair (I don't know) but the actual provision of Public Services as described above do not always have a private equivalent. .

I can do that by referring to the comments of the greatest business brain SA has.
Attachments
SAF.png
SAF.png (46.65 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby morell » Mon May 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Good article

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2018/ ... e-capping/

Particularly like the mention that the Property Council of SA and the State Liberals are one and the same.

If I had a conspiracy hat on, I would almost think this is some sort of plot to rob the one tier of government that stands up to developers of its resources.

Of course, that would only be if I had that hat on. Surely wealthy lobbyists and special interests groups haven't invaded the hallowed halls??
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Psyber » Wed May 23, 2018 4:43 pm

As I said above - the escape for councils of raising service fees instead of rates has to be blocked too...
That is the only way to force them to cut unnecessary activities and stick to providing essential services which is wat they exist for.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby morell » Wed May 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Psyber wrote:As I said above - the escape for councils of raising service fees instead of rates has to be blocked too...
That is the only way to force them to cut unnecessary activities and stick to providing essential services which is wat they exist for.
Council's aren't able to pick and choose what they provide or cut - at a high level. LG is heavily dictated by what they can and can't do by the Local Government Act.

Classic example is the NRM levy. I know of high level people that fought and fought to not shift that to Local Government to collect. But in the end, it is a State imposed tax that legislatively Councils must collect. Same goes for the Solid Waste Levy.

Most Council's would *love* to scrap half the shit they have to do. They can't. By law.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 190f45fbbc
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed May 23, 2018 6:12 pm

And as an aside, who gets to choose what is an "essential" service and what isn't?

You'd think that would be an easy question. It ain't.
morell
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 pm

morell wrote:
Psyber wrote:As I said above - the escape for councils of raising service fees instead of rates has to be blocked too...
Council's aren't able to pick and choose what they provide or cut - at a high level. LG is heavily dictated by what they can and can't do by the Local Government Act.

Classic example is the NRM levy. I know of high level people that fought and fought to not shift that to Local Government to collect. But in the end, it is a State imposed tax that legislatively Councils must collect. Same goes for the Solid Waste Levy.

Most Council's would *love* to scrap half the shit they have to do. They can't. By law.

They can start by slashing extravagant perks for staff....... Onkaparinga would have saved about 30 grand for a golf membership and subsequent cover up!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby morell » Wed May 23, 2018 8:01 pm

And such is the circle of life
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Accurate AF
Attachments
FB_IMG_1527068016688.jpg
FB_IMG_1527068016688.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 am

heater31 wrote:
morell wrote:

They can start by slashing extravagant perks for staff....... Onkaparinga would have saved about 30 grand for a golf membership and subsequent cover up!
Just a quick calc

That 30k is 0.0273% of Onkas Annual expenditure for FY 17/18.

68% of Onkas Revenue comes from Rates.

For the average household, that golf membership cost the grand total of 19 cents out of $1,100.00 per year.

Is that 19c per household worth the millions the CEO brought in for local businesses through his dealings? I'd say yes.

As I've said repeatedly. Pissy shit like that will not make a difference to your average rates bill.

It's the big stuff.

I was reading a Council's Annual Business Plan yesterday and they broke down the rate increase of 3.5%. 2.5% was CPI/LGPI, the extra 1% was used to directly fund major projects.

Stop building major expansion projects through Local Government. Save hundreds on Rates bills. It's that simple.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

Prospect?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby morell » Thu May 24, 2018 11:45 am

Nah some interstate one.

Most Council's break it down like that though.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Be interesting to know which one and see what their community profile is.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu May 24, 2018 6:08 pm

morell wrote:

I'd scrap subsidising bicycle races (and replacing plants pulped by the bike fans which a local council gardener told me was happening) and giving out grants to "community organisations" in favour of adequate waste collection and maintaining footpaths, but I agree the state government should collect their own levies and wear the flack for them themselves - I hadn't realised the ALP had been sneaky enough to stick the councils with that job.
Psyber
Coach

Postby morell » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 pm

The TDU?

It's not a large expense, really. Mostly due to the fact many of the efforts to get it done is managed by staff volunteering their time, saving huge amounts on labour, but of course yoi don't see that in the messenger.

It does bring huge economic development to local businesses. Which is part of the new Local Government service delivery.

But I agree. If times are that tough that would be something that could be cut.
morell
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Councils hosting the TDU and paying for the privilege is part of the event's management plan. If it doesn't do that, the event costs more for government. Be interesting to see if the government's willing to find another model to help fund the event.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:30 pm

morell wrote:The TDU?

It's not a large expense, really. Mostly due to the fact many of the efforts to get it done is managed by staff volunteering their time, saving huge amounts on labour, but of course yoi don't see that in the messenger.

It does bring huge economic development to local businesses. Which is part of the new Local Government service delivery.

But I agree. If times are that tough that would be something that could be cut.

Still a better spend that Golf Memberships............At least the rate payers can see the council dollars at work promoting their area.

Gets back to a cost benefit analysis and public perception...... I know I would prefer my council to spend money attracting a bike race as opposed to the CEO getting a free ride to a Tier 1 Golf Club.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Psyber » Thu May 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Councils hosting the TDU and paying for the privilege is part of the event's management plan. If it doesn't do that, the event costs more for government. Be interesting to see if the government's willing to find another model to help fund the event.

A council worker gardening in Stirling after the last TDU claimed it costs the council thousands to replace trampled plants in the main street after each tour, just for the plants themselves.

I don't want the area "promoted" - I'd rather keep the crowds away and the streets clear...
Psyber
Coach

Postby morell » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am

Psyber wrote:I don't want the area "promoted" - I'd rather keep the crowds away and the streets clear...
and this is what it comes down to really.

You don't want the area promoted. Fair enough! Many would and events like that is what helps make local businesses, many of which are owned and operated by locals, as well as employing locals, do.

So in your specific example, you'd see the TDU and the trampled plants as a wastewater of money and a non essential service. The local cafe, however, would be eternally grateful and would much prefer that to a smooth footpath.

This was the point I was trying to make to Trader when he was claiming the private sector is "more efficient". That entire premise is based on an assumption of the measurement one would use, as well as the value one puts on what we are measuring!!

He, you and I might think social programs and events are a waste of money, but if that is what the rest of the community wants and needs and is willing to pay for, then who are we to demand otherwise?

I still think a great way to curb rates that gets ignored is to vote for people that represent your ideals. Vote in the elections. Lobby your councillor. Engage in consultation.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 25, 2018 9:41 am

I was keen to see how Corey Wingard performed in a cabinet role, I've thought for a while he could potentially be a leader of the Libs, I've been a little surprised by his performances in the media, not as polished as I would have thought.

I attended the funeral of my friends mother last Monday, Jenny was a staunch ALP supporter and long time member. Mr Weatherill attended and when the floor was opened up he took the opportunity to speak. Spoke very well, as you'd expect.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am

Corey has been very underwhelming in the media! If anyone could do spin I thought he would be right up there with his background....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics