Preliminary Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Pseudo wrote:ABC news: SANFL confirms North Adelaide had an extra player on the field in preliminary final

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-17/s ... l/10254430

From the article:

Eagles chief executive Luke Powell said the points scored by North Adelaide during those controversial five minutes should not be counted.
"The SANFL has got to put what's best for the integrity of the competition, and until that happens we can't really say what we'd like too much," he said.

All of a sudden integrity is important? :lol:

Would it have mattered if the Eagles had won?

No. they wouldn't have cared if the Roosters had 30 blokes on the field.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm

carey wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:
Booney wrote:Anyone else sensing a replay?

That would be the fairest option i believe.....

Not in a million years will this happen

At least we'd get the Grand Final back on the long weekend, when it should be!

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Whos ya daddy wrote:

If lawyers get involved they will rip this clause to threads as its badly written which the lawyers will love.
The rule reads like this.

7.2 PROCEDURE FOR INTERCHANGE
The following procedure shall apply to the interchange of Players during
a Match who are listed on the Team Sheet:
(a) unless Law 7.3 applies, the Players intending to interchange shall
leave and enter the Playing Surface through the Interchange Area
;
(b) where a Player does not leave or enter the Playing Surface as specified
under Law 7.2 (a), the Interchange Steward and/or a field Umpire shall
report the circumstances to the Controlling Body, including the scores at
the time. The Controlling Body may determine the matter by way of fine,
reversal of Match result or other sanction as it deems appropriate.

The bit in bold is the bit that will get North off the hook. As long as the 19th player came off through the interchange gate, I don't think rule 7.2(b) can come into play which means there can't be a reversal of results.
Unless the SANFL change the wording of the rule which would then get appealed by North in court and most likely get overturned.

It sort of does for when the player "came off the ground" through the interchange.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Does that get a bit Grey when the additional player didn't arise via an interchange, but rather by not leaving the field after a break (3/4 time) in play?

There's not going to be a solution here to appease all parties, so one group is gonna have the shits up.

I think the result has to stand, but can understand why it might not and how aggrieved Eagles fans would feel.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:46 pm

If people want to rub out what North scored when having 19 players on, then the time on added to the clock in this period needs to be erased also - which means the Eagles wouldn’t have had time to score their final goal.
North still win.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

JK wrote:Does that get a bit Grey when the additional player didn't arise via an interchange, but rather by not leaving the field after a break (3/4 time) in play?

There's not going to be a solution here to appease all parties, so one group is gonna have the shits up.

I think the result has to stand, but can understand why it might not and how aggrieved Eagles fans would feel.

I barrack for the Eagles and am more annoyed that their officials didn't act upon it immediately using the correct channels, I don't think North deliberately cheated, it was pretty dumb all round.

I personally don't think the Eagles have a leg to stand on here.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Eagles might've been robbed of the chance to score when North had 19 on the field though...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Spargo wrote:If people want to rub out what North scored when having 19 players on, then the time on added to the clock in this period needs to be erased also - which means the Eagles wouldn’t have had time to score their final goal.
North still win.

Yep.
Mentioned that earlier
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MAY-Z » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Whos ya daddy wrote:

If lawyers get involved they will rip this clause to threads as its badly written which the lawyers will love.

;

The bit in bold is the bit that will get North off the hook. As long as the 19th player came off through the interchange gate, I don't think rule 7.2(b) can come into play which means there can't be a reversal of results.
Unless the SANFL change the wording of the rule which would then get appealed by North in court and most likely get overturned.

[/quote]

but at the start of the 4th QTR 3 players were intending to be interchanged (otherwise north are admitting to a deliberate breach) those 3 players did not leave and reenter the playing surface correctly as one never left so couldnt reenter correctly.

Personally i think that strengthens WWT case
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby knowledge » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Whos ya daddy wrote:

;

It sort of does for when the player "came off the ground" through the interchange.

Yes. However, 5.1 specifically states that "there are 18 players on the ground and up to four interchange players depending upon the controlling bodies by-laws."
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby giffo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:57 pm

I cant work understand how it took North 5 minutes to work out that they had an extra man or the Eagles didn't realise and call a head count either. With the number of interchange stewards and assistant coaches working the boards and magnets, surely someone would have looked around and thought "where's player x?" or "who's meant to be on that loose player?" Cripes, we can work it out even in C5. Quick look around on the bench and make sure there's the same number on the bench that you started the game with less injuries.
giffo
Reserves

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Does that get a bit Grey when the additional player didn't arise via an interchange, but rather by not leaving the field after a break (3/4 time) in play?

I barrack for the Eagles and am more annoyed that their officials didn't act upon it immediately using the correct channels, I don't think North deliberately cheated, it was pretty dumb all round.

I personally don't think the Eagles have a leg to stand on here.

I actually said that if it was the concussed fellow that went back on when he wasn't supposed to, depending on the severity of his concussion, he may not have even realised what he was doing.

Footy Chick

Postby Spargo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm

giffo wrote:I cant work understand how it took North 5 minutes to work out that they had an extra man or the Eagles didn't realise and call a head count either. With the number of interchange stewards and assistant coaches working the boards and magnets, surely someone would have looked around and thought "where's player x?" or "who's meant to be on that loose player?" Cripes, we can work it out even in C5. Quick look around on the bench and make sure there's the same number on the bench that you started the game with less injuries.

North thought they had a player getting medical treatment in the rooms.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:59 pm

giffo wrote:I cant work understand how it took North 5 minutes to work out that they had an extra man or the Eagles didn't realise and call a head count either. With the number of interchange stewards and assistant coaches working the boards and magnets, surely someone would have looked around and thought "where's player x?" or "who's meant to be on that loose player?" Cripes, we can work it out even in C5. Quick look around on the bench and make sure there's the same number on the bench that you started the game with less injuries.

North were probably trying to figure out the best way to remove the player without it being obvious, who knows, I agree with you, it makes zero sense in this day and age.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Spargo wrote:

North thought they had a player getting medical treatment in the rooms.

That old chestnut. I'm sure their magnet board had a player without a match up on it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

North were probably trying to figure out the best way to remove the player without it being obvious, who knows, I agree with you, it makes zero sense in this day and age.

A few years ago maybe 6 or 7 I was injured and controlling the bench as our coach decided to play for the day as injury cover. I realised after about a minute that we had 19 on the field (spare man was forward too) but was trying to work out a way of getting the player off as the i/c steward had already been notified of the changes at the break.
I ended up sending the 2 guys on the bench to do some stretches behind the goals and after we kicked a point the extra player just slipped through the goals and joined them and jogged back to the bench. Was pretty funny watching the guy who was trying to stand him wait for him to come back on the field to man him up before he realised what was going on. Probably took a full 5 minutes before we got him off the ground.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:16 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
A few years ago maybe 6 or 7 I was injured and controlling the bench as our coach decided to play for the day as injury cover. I realised after about a minute that we had 19 on the field (spare man was forward too) but was trying to work out a way of getting the player off as the i/c steward had already been notified of the changes at the break.
I ended up sending the 2 guys on the bench to do some stretches behind the goals and after we kicked a point the extra player just slipped through the goals and joined them and jogged back to the bench. Was pretty funny watching the guy who was trying to stand him wait for him to come back on the field to man him up before he realised what was going on. Probably took a full 5 minutes before we got him off the ground.

Very clever.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Nothing will happen. The only thing North did wrong is play an extra man. The rules state that the captain of the opposing team needs to make the umpire aware of the extra man and call for a head count. He didn't so unfortunately North get away with it. I
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby another grub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Nothing will happen. The only thing North did wrong is play an extra man. The rules state that the captain of the opposing team needs to make the umpire aware of the extra man and call for a head count. He didn't so unfortunately North get away with it. I

If it didnt change the outcome of the game then I am fine with that PUTRID old rule .....but it clearly has.

Rules or common sense???? I guess thats what they have to decide today.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 402 times

Postby another grub » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm

All I know is.....one side is going to get SHAFTED today!!!!
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 402 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL