IPL

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

IPL

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:37 am

Controversy!

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ravi-as ... 2019-03-26

ndia spin star Ravi Ashwin has been labeled "disgraceful" after his "low act" to 'Mankad' England wicketkeeper-batter Jos Buttler in an IPL match between the Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals in Japiur.

Steve Smith scored 20 on his IPL return but his comeback was completely overshadowed by the controversial Mankad dismissal that has divided the cricket world.

Smith, whose year-long international suspension following the ball tampering scandal in South Africa expires this week, came to the crease for the Royals amidst a firestorm with a furious Buttler departing after he was mankaded by Ashwin.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: IPL

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 am

My 2 cents. If the bowlers have to deliver the ball from behind the crease, then the batter at the non strikers end has to stay behind the line until the bowler delivers the ball......simple. You want to try to get a head start, your fair game.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:44 am

My 2 cents, it's ok in indoor cricket, it's not in real cricket.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am

Corona Man wrote:My 2 cents. If the bowlers have to deliver the ball from behind the crease, then the batter at the non strikers end has to stay behind the line until the bowler delivers the ball......simple. You want to try to get a head start, your fair game.

Bloody oath, ya can't crib as where do you draw the line.

As a non-striker, you watch the batsman, you hear the delivery stride, you see the ball out of the corner of your eye, you proceed to back up.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:50 am

if you look at the footage Jos Was in his crease when Ashwin was about to deliver the ball. Ashwin stopping in his action has not been seen by Jos whose momentum has taken him out..... he wasnt "Gaining an advantage" by being a meter out of his crease when the ball is bowled. he is doing what every cricketer from a junior is taught and that is to walk with the bowler to gain momentum and backing up for a single if its called for...
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:05 am

Sonofbrowny25 wrote:if you look at the footage Jos Was in his crease when Ashwin was about to deliver the ball. Ashwin stopping in his action has not been seen by Jos whose momentum has taken him out..... he wasnt "Gaining an advantage" by being a meter out of his crease when the ball is bowled. he is doing what every cricketer from a junior is taught and that is to walk with the bowler to gain momentum and backing up for a single if its called for...

I think it shouldn't of been given not out as Ashwin stopped in his action but Buttler probably should of been watching Ashwin as he was bowling while backing up up until he bowled the ball.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 am

Booney wrote:My 2 cents, it's ok in indoor cricket, it's not in real cricket.

This is IPL, its not real cricket either.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Spangas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

Out. 'Cricket' is already too much in the batsman's favour.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:20 am

Gives me the shits when a batter is halfway down the wicket before you have bowled but in this case Ashwin stopped and Buttler did what every coach always tell you, don't have lead boots. Poor form by Ashwin, he stopped.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Spangas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:28 am

Perhaps they could mark another white line (about 1 foot) out of the crease where batsmen can't go past before the delivery release, but if they do they're fair game.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:02 am

Spangas wrote:Perhaps they could mark another white line (about 1 foot) out of the crease where batsmen can't go past before the delivery release, but if they do they're fair game.

The crease line is enough IMO, they're still gaining up to 3 metres in total with arm and bat length at both ends of the pitch, stay home until you're allowed out as far as I'm concerned.

I umpired a one day semi final a few years back and it was when mankad was in exile, one dude kept leaving way early and the bowler wouldn't release the ball, it was getting annoying and heated so I asked the batsman to just wait until it's bowled to get the game going, he carried on like a dick and said he could do what he wants so I said "Yeah no worries mate, just don't get hit on the pads".
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mal » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am

If Ashwin bowls a ball over the crease line he is penalised with a no ball
If Butler is past the crease line his penalty has to be OUT if mankaded
The laws of cricket do not discriminate, mankad is a legit disMissAL

Its akin to speeding and radars- if you dont speed you wont get pinged
Batters wont be mankaded if they dont leave the crease

I have mankaded 2 batters
Both times I didnt appeal-I politely told the batters to be careful[I knew both players quite well, thats why I mankaded]
Like Armchair expert It can be annoying if batters backed up WAY TOO far

Question
The opposition is 9 for
1 ball left
they need 1 to draw 2 to win
your team is fielding
you are the bowler
if you know the batter is backing up too far, would you mankad ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:00 pm

mal wrote:If Ashwin bowls a ball over the crease line he is penalised with a no ball
If Butler is past the crease line his penalty has to be OUT if mankaded
The laws of cricket do not discriminate, mankad is a legit disMissAL

Its akin to speeding and radars- if you dont speed you wont get pinged
Batters wont be mankaded if they dont leave the crease

I have mankaded 2 batters
Both times I didnt appeal-I politely told the batters to be careful[I knew both players quite well, thats why I mankaded]
Like Armchair expert It can be annoying if batters backed up WAY TOO far

Question
The opposition is 9 for
1 ball left
they need 1 to draw 2 to win
your team is fielding
you are the bowler
if you know the batter is backing up too far, would you mankad ?

So theoretical it should've been called Malcolm? You were around before Mankad hey? ;)
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Ashwins was a tad dirty as he stopped, waited and then mankad

I do agree with the sentiment though that if a bowler has to be behind the crease then so does a batsmen, I would have no problem with a mankad where a batsmen is deliberately walking a metre ahead before the ball is bowled.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:50 pm

I can't believe those of you who have played the game think this is above board. I'm guessing you would have all gone ape shit if you'd been the victim of a mankad.

Ashwin changed his bowling action and delivery point, if you pause it as Ashwin would "normally" have bowled the ball then Butler is, if anything, 2-3cm out of his ground, compared to what we see in international cricket he's hardly taking the piss.

Ashwin's eyebrow pisses me off too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Booney wrote:I can't believe those of you who have played the game think this is above board. I'm guessing you would have all gone ape shit if you'd been the victim of a mankad.

Ashwin changed his bowling action and delivery point, if you pause it as Ashwin would "normally" have bowled the ball then Butler is, if anything, 2-3cm out of his ground, compared to what we see in international cricket he's hardly taking the piss.

We are wrong because we don't agree with you? He was out of his crease before the ball was bowled, out in my book, the warning doesn't exist anymore, pretty much like higher standards in society.

Would I have done it: No.
Do I think it's out: Yes.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:I can't believe those of you who have played the game think this is above board. I'm guessing you would have all gone ape shit if you'd been the victim of a mankad.

We are wrong because we don't agree with you? He was out of his crease before the ball was bowled, out in my book, the warning doesn't exist anymore, pretty much like higher standards in society.

Would I have done it: No.
Do I think it's out: Yes.

I didn't say you were right or wrong, I just can't believe you are all ok with it.

If Ashwin had gone through his delivery action I'd be less inclined to think it's an act of an arsehole. The fact he cut his action short, back behind the crease as so Butler wouldn't see it - **** in my book.
Last edited by Booney on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:15 pm

I have no issues that a warning wasn't issued.

For mine, the issue comes from the fact that the current law says a batsman can be mankad anytime from when the ball comes into play (when the bowler enters his run up), up until such time that the ball would be expected to be bowled.

For mine, Butler was not trying to gain an unfair advantage, but rather anticipating that Ashwin should have delivered the ball. The word Expected means it doesn't matter that Ashwin stopped his action, it was reasonable for Butler to EXPECT the ball to have been released, and therefore he was allowed to have left his crease.

It's not out in my opinion.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Trader wrote:I have no issues that a warning wasn't issued.

For mine, the issue comes from the fact that the current law says a batsman can be mankad anytime from when the ball comes into play (when the bowler enters his run up), up until such time that the ball would be expected to be bowled.

For mine, Butler was not trying to gain an unfair advantage, but rather anticipating that Ashwin should have delivered the ball. The word Expected means it doesn't matter that Ashwin stopped his action, it was reasonable for Butler to EXPECT the ball to have been released, and therefore he was allowed to have left his crease.

That's the crux of it, Ashwin didn't do what Butler could have reasonably expected him to do. Well worded mate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:I have no issues that a warning wasn't issued.

That's the crux of it, Ashwin didn't do what Butler could have reasonably expected him to do. Well worded mate.

Agreed, was well worded.

And for the record, yes, I would've lost my nut if it was a team mate and I was skipper. :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket