HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Went and saw the ANZAC game at Hahndorf.

A very good crowd saw Hahndorf clinically beat Mt Barker. They made Mt Barker look second rate. And Hahndorf had so many more opportunities to make the result look even worse.

Will be interesting to see how Blackwood and Uraidla match up against Hahndorf. Time will tell, but Mt Barker need a lift somewhere to be a contender.
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri May 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Thoughts on the score tomorrow between Hahndorf and Nairne?
Sideshow Bob
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby samantic » Sat May 04, 2019 11:00 am

I think the juniors could be very close even upsets but unfortunately for Nairne the seniors are going to be huge wins to Hahndorf
samantic
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Toto » Sat May 04, 2019 11:33 am

I don’t think Nairne have come up for the seniors, from what I’ve heard their senior players were selfless in voting 100% to go up for the better of the club in the long run, letting the juniors play against the best opposition and further their skills, they could have easily voted against and won premierships in div 2, and continue to dominate the junior grades but they’ve made the best move for the club. I doubt they were expecting to come up and the seniors have instant success, they’ve probably done the opposite to Echunga who had a very strong A grade side and won a flag straight away, but juniors have seriously struggled. The scores I’ve seen from Nairne juniors are very surprising, I wouldn’t be shocked if the featured in finals on most junior grades, which will hold the club in good stead in 5+ years.
Short term pain, long term gain. Good on them.
Most clubs are very happy to have them up in div 1 from the people I’ve spoken to, and they’ve conducted themselves very well, Blackwood said they were very professional, and filled their club rooms after the game with players and supporters to have a drink with them.

But yes, today could be very painful for the seniors.
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby cracka » Sat May 04, 2019 11:39 am

Toto wrote:I don’t think Nairne have come up for the seniors, from what I’ve heard their senior players were selfless in voting 100% to go up for the better of the club in the long run, letting the juniors play against the best opposition and further their skills, they could have easily voted against and won premierships in div 2, and continue to dominate the junior grades but they’ve made the best move for the club. I doubt they were expecting to come up and the seniors have instant success, they’ve probably done the opposite to Echunga who had a very strong A grade side and won a flag straight away, but juniors have seriously struggled. The scores I’ve seen from Nairne juniors are very surprising, I wouldn’t be shocked if the featured in finals on most junior grades, which will hold the club in good stead in 5+ years.
Short term pain, long term gain. Good on them.
Most clubs are very happy to have them up in div 1 from the people I’ve spoken to, and they’ve conducted themselves very well, Blackwood said they were very professional, and filled their club rooms after the game with players and supporters to have a drink with them.

But yes, today could be very painful for the seniors.

I've noticed their Junior Colts have forfeited both games this year. Hopefully they can get some numbers for that age soon.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby wazzal77 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Big thumbs up to those clubs who take photos of the games.

On looking at the pics of the juniors on the Echunga v Hahndorf theres an awful lot of players wearing white shorts with black stripes? I struggled to see many red shorts? Do Echunga have any junior colts?
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby saintal » Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Big thumbs up to those clubs who take photos of the games.

On looking at the pics of the juniors on the Echunga v Hahndorf theres an awful lot of players wearing white shorts with black stripes? I struggled to see many red shorts? Do Echunga have any junior colts?

Echunga had just 10 listed on sportingpulse for Junior Colts, and 13 for Senior Colts.

Without being involved with a club and simply watching from afar, the change to U18s/16s/14s age brackets appears dumb.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby BurntToast » Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 pm

saintal wrote:

Echunga had just 10 listed on sportingpulse for Junior Colts, and 13 for Senior Colts.

Without being involved with a club and simply watching from afar, the change to U18s/16s/14s age brackets appears dumb.

It absolutely is. While the age group change wont effect the bigger population based clubs (Blackwood, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onka Valley) smaller town clubs like Echunga, and many of the Div 2 clubs will suffer. In my opinion the age bracket needs to be increased in the colts competition. Junior Colts, 13, 14 and 15. Senior Colts, 16, 17, 18.5. Something needs to change to help the smaller clubs keep their colt teams in the competition.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby batmanbegins » Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm

BurntToast wrote:
saintal wrote:

It absolutely is. While the age group change wont effect the bigger population based clubs (Blackwood, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Onka Valley) smaller town clubs like Echunga, and many of the Div 2 clubs will suffer. In my opinion the age bracket needs to be increased in the colts competition. Junior Colts, 13, 14 and 15. Senior Colts, 16, 17, 18.5. Something needs to change to help the smaller clubs keep their colt teams in the competition.

100% agree with this burntoast. Its hard enough for small towns to get kids but to expect 60 odd kids between 12 and 18 years old for towns with the population size of less then 1000 is absolutely idiotic.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby wazzal77 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 am

Are you all saying that the move from u13s u15s and U17.5 to u14, u16 and u18 is dumb?

I can’t see any difference ? Doesn’t it expand the potential pool of players by 6 months? Or am I missing something?

Or are you suggesting that there should only be 2 x colts teams and not 3?

It maybe late in the night but I’m struggling to understand what the issue is with the age changes.
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

wazzal77 wrote:Are you all saying that the move from u13s u15s and U17.5 to u14, u16 and u18 is dumb?

I can’t see any difference ? Doesn’t it expand the potential pool of players by 6 months? Or am I missing something?

It maybe late in the night but I’m struggling to understand what the issue is with the age changes.

SFL has suffered massively from going the other way, stick with 14's/16's/18's it is much much better.

Mind you is there any club in Div 2 that has a full suite of junior teams? Maybe Div 2 should be different i.e. u14's and u17's
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby batmanbegins » Sat May 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:
wazzal77 wrote:Are you all saying that the move from u13s u15s and U17.5 to u14, u16 and u18 is dumb?

SFL has suffered massively from going the other way, stick with 14's/16's/18's it is much much better.

Mind you is there any club in Div 2 that has a full suite of junior teams? Maybe Div 2 should be different i.e. u14's and u17's

For Div 2 it should never have changed from under 12s, 14.5s and 17.5s, for div 1 it should be as it is now. Only us, kangys and birdwood have 2 or more junior teams. Its to hard to have 4 teams from 12s to 18s , rather then the 3 it used to be. Alternatively they could split the junior comps and keep it seperate from the seniors as they do down town but that would kind of ruin the great part of country footy.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby BurntToast » Sat May 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Can Hahndorf be beaten this year? I don't think so. While we did have a couple out today, Hahndorf completely outplayed us in every facet of the game. Honestly embarrassing for us woodies. Expect a tough week on the track to bounce back next week against a unpredictable Lofty outfit.
BurntToast

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blackwood

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun May 26, 2019 1:46 am

Dutchy wrote:

What are you talking about, all clubs are now able to field teams in all grades for the first time in many years. Best thing the SFL ever did.

I was at a total loss at why the Hills moved to U/18s - it s a grade that is proven to fail in almost every community level competition it is attempted in. Even the Amateur league are struggling to maintain an U/18 comp with 70 odd clubs.

Terrible age to try to maintain numbers, transition from school, changing lifestyles, etc.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Toto » Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 am

I can’t see them losing. Obviously anything can happen on the right day but with the depth they have, I wouldn’t bet on them losing a game. Everyone talks about their top end, Hourigan, Jaensch, Matsen, Cheney etc. But I think it’s the rest that put them on another level to everyone else. They don’t have a weak link. Teams just can’t kick a big enough score to trouble them, their back 6 are so well drilled.

I would love to see a champions league type set up over a weekend at the end of the season where the best country sides from each comp play off for the mantle of being the best in SA. Always a big debate between HFL Div1, Great Southern, River Murray and possibly Barossa, (throw in Waikerie) but i think Hahndorf would be the best country footy side in SA atm. Certainly the best side I’ve seen! As much as I hate to say it....
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What are you talking about, all clubs are now able to field teams in all grades for the first time in many years. Best thing the SFL ever did.

I was at a total loss at why the Hills moved to U/18s - it s a grade that is proven to fail in almost every community level competition it is attempted in. Even the Amateur league are struggling to maintain an U/18 comp with 70 odd clubs.

Terrible age to try to maintain numbers, transition from school, changing lifestyles, etc.

It was implemented to help the lower clubs and the transition from u12s to Junior footy, but now we have a number of clubs that can only fill u13 teams with a heap of u12's and a number of teams that can't put full teams on the park in u15's and u17.5's, the drop away of the Sunday u15 comp confirms this, whiles also taking away a 6 month period of kids continuing to play junior footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby norwood8 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Toto wrote:I can’t see them losing. Obviously anything can happen on the right day but with the depth they have, I wouldn’t bet on them losing a game. Everyone talks about their top end, Hourigan, Jaensch, Matsen, Cheney etc. But I think it’s the rest that put them on another level to everyone else. They don’t have a weak link. Teams just can’t kick a big enough score to trouble them, their back 6 are so well drilled.

I would love to see a champions league type set up over a weekend at the end of the season where the best country sides from each comp play off for the mantle of being the best in SA. Always a big debate between HFL Div1, Great Southern, River Murray and possibly Barossa, (throw in Waikerie) but i think Hahndorf would be the best country footy side in SA atm. Certainly the best side I’ve seen! As much as I hate to say it....

Hahndorf would touch up any country team in the state, a ridiculous amount of talent all over the park. Would beat any other team by 7/8 goals on a HFL sized oval.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Toto » Tue May 28, 2019 8:03 am

I agree.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby scottroo » Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 am

Ant truth Ben Davis wants out of nairne?
scottroo
League - Best 21

Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby cracka » Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am

norwood8 wrote:
Toto wrote:I can’t see them losing. Obviously anything can happen on the right day but with the depth they have, I wouldn’t bet on them losing a game. Everyone talks about their top end, Hourigan, Jaensch, Matsen, Cheney etc. But I think it’s the rest that put them on another level to everyone else. They don’t have a weak link. Teams just can’t kick a big enough score to trouble them, their back 6 are so well drilled.

Hahndorf would touch up any country team in the state, a ridiculous amount of talent all over the park. Would beat any other team by 7/8 goals on a HFL sized oval.

Scary thing is most of the team are ex juniors that have come from their domination of the junior grades over the last 10 years. Add some gun recruits & an ex AFL player. No one will get near them this year.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy