Neil Craig and the 1983 Grand Final.

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Neil Craig and the 1983 Grand Final.

Postby Magellan » Sat May 25, 2019 10:27 am

Watched some early 80s grand finals on YouTube over the summer, and as I watched the 1983 final I realised that Neil Craig wasn't out there. I'm not sure if his presence would've made a difference in the final analysis (given the power of that Westies team), but given his finals experience and ability it must've been a considerable blow to Sturt's chances.

I'm too young (only just) to recall what happened at the time, and I presume he was injured at some stage during the season. Can anyone please clarify?

Whilst we're on the topic of Craig, can someone explain why he left Norwood after the 1979 season?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: Neil Craig and the 1983 Grand Final.

Postby GWW » Sat May 25, 2019 11:35 am

I cant really answer those questions, but I do believe Neil Craig and Rick Davies were cousins (perhaps 2nd if not 1st cousins), so reading between the lines, it was probably Davies' influence that got him to Sturt.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:41 am

GWW wrote:I cant really answer those questions, but I do believe Neil Craig and Rick Davies were cousins (perhaps 2nd if not 1st cousins), so reading between the lines, it was probably Davies' influence that got him to Sturt.

I was once told that he wanted to play under Oatey.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby robranisgod » Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:
GWW wrote:I cant really answer those questions, but I do believe Neil Craig and Rick Davies were cousins (perhaps 2nd if not 1st cousins), so reading between the lines, it was probably Davies' influence that got him to Sturt.

I was once told that he wanted to play under Oatey.

Both answers are close to the truth. Davies and Craig are indeed second cousins and Craig came from near Maitland which is where Jack Oatey grew up.

There had always been a relationship between Craig and the Oatey family, hence Robert Oatey recruited him to Norwood when Craig was only 13 years of age.

Rumour had it that Craig clashed with Glen McMahon after the 1979 season and Craig thus found his way to Sturt to be amongst friends. Remember too that Norwood had recruited Bruce Winter and Rob Barton from Sturt after the 1978 Grand Final so Sturt were seeking some payback by recruiting Craig.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Magellan » Tue May 28, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks for your responses, RiG, Jim and GWW.

However, can anyone explain his absence from the 1983 GF?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Wed May 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Magellan wrote:Thanks for your responses, RiG, Jim and GWW.

I am getting close to solving the absence of Craig. He was named to play in both the QUalifying Final against Norwood and the First Semi Final against North so it appears that he either was injured in the First Semi Final, the Preliminary Final or at training in the fortnight before the Grand Final. I should have the answer by the weekend.

Ironically in 1989 he pinged a hamstring in the Preliminary Final and stupidly played in the Grand Final on one leg. The result was disastrous for both Craig and North.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby robranisgod » Fri May 31, 2019 7:18 pm

robranisgod wrote:

I am getting close to solving the absence of Craig. He was named to play in both the QUalifying Final against Norwood and the First Semi Final against North so it appears that he either was injured in the First Semi Final, the Preliminary Final or at training in the fortnight before the Grand Final. I should have the answer by the weekend.

Ironically in 1989 he pinged a hamstring in the Preliminary Final and stupidly played in the Grand Final on one leg. The result was disastrous for both Craig and North.

Sorry to make it a saga but I have now found articles from the 1983 finals and Neil Craig jagged a hamstring in the First Semi final against North. He had 5 kicks and 4 handballs for the match which suggests that he was injured early in the game.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Magellan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:11 am

robranisgod wrote:
robranisgod wrote:

Sorry to make it a saga but I have now found articles from the 1983 finals and Neil Craig jagged a hamstring in the First Semi final against North. He had 5 kicks and 4 handballs for the match which suggests that he was injured early in the game.

Thanks again for your expert detective work, RiG.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 am

robranisgod wrote:

What made it worse, IIRC, is that he lined up on Simon Tregenza. :roll:
Magellan
Coach

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum