Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

Had another enjoyable evening at the weekly quiz at the Big Shed Brewing Concern last night. It's a quirky and entertaining quiz, well run and good fun. They give away a few jugs of beer as prizes and there's a weekly Cash Jackpot amount one lucky punter gets to have a crack at. Highly recommend it, in fact maybe we should get an SAFooty crew together one Wed evening for it?

Just to keep this as a legitimate review, for grub we had:

Missus - Big Shed burger with Fries $14
8yr old mini-JK - Nuggets and Chips $F Nose
Myself - Cheeseburger w/ Fries $13

Missus isn't a big burger fan but she enjoyed hers, I enjoyed mine, little fella's was a bit so-so. All the deep fried stuff actually tasted that way, but the burgers were great. If you're into grilled and/or fried American fast food, you should be right with this. Washing it down with a great selection of Bevvy options is the definite kicker.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

I'm in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Smashed Crab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

JK wrote:Had another enjoyable evening at the weekly quiz at the Big Shed Brewing Concern last night. It's a quirky and entertaining quiz, well run and good fun. They give away a few jugs of beer as prizes and there's a weekly Cash Jackpot amount one lucky punter gets to have a crack at. Highly recommend it, in fact maybe we should get an SAFooty crew together one Wed evening for it?

Missus isn't a big burger fan but she enjoyed hers, I enjoyed mine, little fella's was a bit so-so. All the deep fried stuff actually tasted that way, but the burgers were great. If you're into grilled and/or fried American fast food, you should be right with this. Washing it down with a great selection of Bevvy options is the definite kicker.

Is that a 'Quizmeister' run thing there? Recently went to one at the Lighthouse Wharf, quiz was fun. Food was crap, I should do a review.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:
JK wrote:Had another enjoyable evening at the weekly quiz at the Big Shed Brewing Concern last night. It's a quirky and entertaining quiz, well run and good fun. They give away a few jugs of beer as prizes and there's a weekly Cash Jackpot amount one lucky punter gets to have a crack at. Highly recommend it, in fact maybe we should get an SAFooty crew together one Wed evening for it?

Is that a 'Quizmeister' run thing there? Recently went to one at the Lighthouse Wharf, quiz was fun. Food was crap, I should do a review.

Yeah thats the one mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Smashed Crab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Lighthouse Wharf Hotel, Port Adelaide.

Went there with the misso for a Wednesday night quiz with some friends. Ordered some food, new menu apparently.

Misso is coeliac so less options but the lady behind the counter assures us the GF mushroom risotto is good. Order that $22 add chicken, another $8. I get the salt & pepper squid, $26. Alcohol, bottle of Red Sparkly stuff as we don't get out often since moving back from the country (finally found a half decent baby sitter).

Mine comes out, looks a bit small, I said to the waiter I ordered as a mains, he said 'thats correct', obviously didn't get my toned hint. Tasted alright, but was left hungry... 5/10
Misso's Mushroom and chicken risotto comes out. We could see the rice, a few green peas, about a half breast of chicken chopped up. She runs her fork through it, 'I think they gave me the wrong one, there's no mushroom'. I looked, concurred. She took it back to the counter, they took it to the chef. Comes back, 'yes it is the mushroom risotto, it has mushroom stock in it'. Seriously, that's not what the menu suggested. We expressed our disappointment to the waiter, he agreed it was a bit poor and would relay it to the chef. Misso had a bit, no flavor. Rice was cooked near perfect, rest was horrible. I tasted it, yuck. Chicken was dry. Spew. Couldn't taste the Fi^&*ing mushroom stock. Misso had few more mouthfuls as she was starving, put the fork on top 3/4's left. Waiter went to clear table, do you want a doggy bag? No mate, I wouldn't feed that s$%t to my dog. Oh right, I'll let the chef know. Bulls$%t mate. 1/10

Summary
Squid - 5/10 - too small, nothing special
Mushroom with added chicken risotto - 1/10 - horrible
Service - 1/10 - dude agreed it was poor, didn't even offer a complimentary drink, even after he saw that it was in edible.

Never to eat there again.

Will be eating prior to going back there if we do another quiz night there. Sounds like Big Shed Brewery could be the go.
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Postby JK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Thats a shame about the Lighthouse mate, I enjoyed it the times we've been there (which would be a year or two ago now). The Barreau's generally run a tidy ship in my experience, might be worth giving the Birk a go?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:Lighthouse Wharf Hotel, Port Adelaide.

Went there with the misso for a Wednesday night quiz with some friends. Ordered some food, new menu apparently.

Misso is coeliac so less options but the lady behind the counter assures us the GF mushroom risotto is good. Order that $22 add chicken, another $8. I get the salt & pepper squid, $26. Alcohol, bottle of Red Sparkly stuff as we don't get out often since moving back from the country (finally found a half decent baby sitter).

Mine comes out, looks a bit small, I said to the waiter I ordered as a mains, he said 'thats correct', obviously didn't get my toned hint. Tasted alright, but was left hungry... 5/10
Misso's Mushroom and chicken risotto comes out. We could see the rice, a few green peas, about a half breast of chicken chopped up. She runs her fork through it, 'I think they gave me the wrong one, there's no mushroom'. I looked, concurred. She took it back to the counter, they took it to the chef. Comes back, 'yes it is the mushroom risotto, it has mushroom stock in it'. Seriously, that's not what the menu suggested. We expressed our disappointment to the waiter, he agreed it was a bit poor and would relay it to the chef. Misso had a bit, no flavor. Rice was cooked near perfect, rest was horrible. I tasted it, yuck. Chicken was dry. Spew. Couldn't taste the Fi^&*ing mushroom stock. Misso had few more mouthfuls as she was starving, put the fork on top 3/4's left. Waiter went to clear table, do you want a doggy bag? No mate, I wouldn't feed that s$%t to my dog. Oh right, I'll let the chef know. Bulls$%t mate. 1/10

Summary
Service - 1/10 - dude agreed it was poor, didn't even offer a complimentary drink, even after he saw that it was in edible.

Will be eating prior to going back there if we do another quiz night there. Sounds like Big Shed Brewery could be the go.

I've heard great things about the Birkenhead Tavern if you're heading out again in that vicinity.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 pm

The Admiral goes alright

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Smashed Crab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Yeh the Birk and the Admiral are good. We're in Semaphore, so have plenty of options around. JK, we did eat there a couple years ago and it was better value, maybe a new chef, or management?
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Smashed Crab wrote:Yeh the Birk and the Admiral are good. We're in Semaphore, so have plenty of options around. JK, we did eat there a couple years ago and it was better value, maybe a new chef, or management?

The Lighthouse has a new chef I think.

Been to Pirate Life? Thursday > Sunday there's food trucks there for decent burgers etc or they do "bar food" over the bar.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Been liked: 10754 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Booney wrote:
Smashed Crab wrote:Yeh the Birk and the Admiral are good. We're in Semaphore, so have plenty of options around. JK, we did eat there a couple years ago and it was better value, maybe a new chef, or management?

The Lighthouse has a new chef I think.

Been to Pirate Life? Thursday > Sunday there's food trucks there for decent burgers etc or they do "bar food" over the bar.
Apparently the low and slow toasted sandwich goes alright.......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Went to Khims on the corner of Regency & Prospect last night in the pissing rain after having booked at Rose Garden but was closed (thanks for the call).
Great feed, arrived in 10 minutes fed Missus, 21 & 26yo sons & me for under $80 including drinks.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The Admiral goes alright

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The Royal Admiral on Hindley street went alright in its day as well!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Summary

Surprised to read you had such a bad experience at the Lighthouse, I've been there multiple times and never had an issues, I've thought the food there is great.

Agreed with others about the Admiral, it is top notch now and the Birk is consistently good. Enjoyed Big Shed too, I've had the Ozzy Oz burger when I've been there and loved it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:

Summary

Surprised to read you had such a bad experience at the Lighthouse, I've been there multiple times and never had an issues, I've thought the food there is great.

Agreed with others about the Admiral, it is top notch now and the Birk is consistently good. Enjoyed Big Shed too, I've had the Ozzy Oz burger when I've been there and loved it.

Just had dinner at the Lighthouse.....

Not overly impressive......seafood duo consistting of battered flathead and Spencer Gulf prawns. Fish soggy and lukewarm, prawns weren't even crumbed! Straight off the boat whole...... chips were almost non existent.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm

heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Summary

Just had dinner at the Lighthouse.....

Not overly impressive......seafood duo consistting of battered flathead and Spencer Gulf prawns. Fish soggy and lukewarm, prawns weren't even crumbed! Straight off the boat whole...... chips were almost non existent.

Wow that's shithouse, sounds like it's well and truly goneto shit there.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 am

Has anyone been to "Sneaky's" at Angle Vale in the last couple of years?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Christies beach hotel

One of the Mrs uncles had his 69th birthday dinner last night.

For a tuesday night, packed.

Ordered an italian pizza. Bit sloppy, nice thin base enabled taking in all 13" of it. Mrs went Chicken Kiev and was quite happy with it.

1st time in a while the food was ok.

On lining up, we were behind an old woman, who was at times joined by members of her table.
The table they had was closest to counter....
Anyway by time we were level with that said table, the whole rednecked bunch had joined her/pushed in.

They opened up a 2nd register, so we joined that.
One of the women, tried to push in. Apparently she said "how did they get on front? Its not fair!" But one of the ****** up ferals which i presume was her husband told her "dont worry its just for drinks"

Well dickhead, it wasn't just for drinks.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Sounds like a classy establishment MT79 :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Can't wait to try it! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach