SANFL Clubs

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Clubs

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:54 pm

LMA wrote:Morning Ralph, will Sam be in today?

I get it, great cartoon
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:44 pm

I don’t think I would support the SANFL with just 1 team.
To me the 1 team concept may be the beginning of the end for some clubs.
I reckon the ammos and other comps would write Firm contacts for their key players for the whole season.
No exceptions.
Where would these top up players train?
A nightmare for the outside clubs Coaches.
Anyway, how could league clubs gauge players ability and form in weaker comps.
Why would outside clubs risk their players and seasons for the SANFL an unrelated competition.

How many Extra senior players at every club would take on gruelling summer training and all that time
when Half would be cut come late March.
To me the current fringe adult players wouldn’t bother trying out.

We would see some pretty weak pre season trial matches with 16/18 School boys among the men,
just to make up the numbers.
IMHO the standard would drop , with attendances and income falling, perhaps it could be a free gate.

Maybe the SANFL may want to play the women’s comp before the men.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
o five wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:If the reserves go they may as well open the gates up and allow free entry.
It’s worked for the AFLW albeit it was a new Comp but maybe it can work for the sanfl.
Crowds may come back and watch local footy.

I think it’s worth a try given the environment we are all now in.

I like this idea and have been hoping for it to happen for a few years now. Atleast try it this year IF we start.
What better way to reward people after their long hibernation. :idea:

even 1000 people @$10 is still $10000/game, 90k/year, i dont think clubs can afford to give that up

This is the point so many miss over the years, massive gamble to go without the gate take. What then of memberships that include attendance, they’d have to stay price reflective so membership $& then decrease also.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 pm

If it happens then no membership then for me, attendance or reserved seating.
Good luck,I be off to my ammos club..
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Brett » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 pm

Centrals going OK as are a few clubs. Keep donating and joining. Dont be complacent.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby LMA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:00 pm

VALE PARK wrote:I don’t think I would support the SANFL with just 1 team.
I reckon the ammos and other comps would write Firm contacts for their key players for the whole season.
No exceptions.
Why would outside clubs risk their players and seasons for the SANFL an unrelated competition.

How many Extra senior players at every club would take on gruelling summer training and all that time

We would see some pretty weak pre season trial matches with 16/18 School boys among the men,
IMHO the standard would drop , with attendances and income falling, perhaps it could be a free gate.

They wouldn't be top up players they would contracted league players so they would train with the squad as per normal, if they know early enough in the week that they're not playing then they may go back to their local club and train on the Thursday night. This is no different to what happens with the SANFL reserves and 18's players now and has happened for decades. I would expect that all league clubs would want their surplus players aligned to a top tier amateur division or country comp. For the local coaches it isn't ideal but something they're used to at the higher levels and they welcome the injection of talent.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:06 pm

RB wrote:
Brett wrote:Can cheapen the brand though. I say reduce to an even $10 entry.
I've been saying this for years.

From memory, you only need to attend half the games with your membership for it to be worthwhile so I can't see that $10 entry would be a problem.

GFC Season Membership is $195.00, Home Match Membership is $140.00.

$10.00 admission for a full season would be $180.00, and for home games would be $100.00.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 1199 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby UK Fan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:04 am

Pseudo wrote:
RB wrote:
Booney wrote:I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour.

Who the heck covets them?

Magpies crowds have halved since they became the reserves, while at the same time they've made three grand finals, in contrast to their missing the finals most of the time between 2000-2013.

I don't doubt your devotion Booney but you're in a very small group.

Anyway I seem to recall the SANFL had to talk them into keeping the Magpies when the Power franchise was set up. It's pretty clear the Power would be happy for an excuse to get rid of them. (Although I think our celebrations are premature, as much as I'd like it to be true.)

Also the quote of yours I highlighted is a straw man argument. The vast majority of us want to see the reserves gone. Apart from UKF, delight in potentially seeing the Magpies go is only because it'll mean no reserves (assuming the Ravens get the arse). And I think you know that.

Our hatred for the reserves infiltration runs many orders of magnitude deeper than our dislike of Port and I for one would have no problem with a standalone Magpies returning à la 1997-2013.

^ this. I don't want the Magpies dead per se. I want AFL reserves out of the league, and I will be overjoyed when they are gone.

The old Maggies have been dead for years unfortunately . It’s best for all that we just move on. Even Tredders agrees

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/sport/warren- ... de-magpies
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1196 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby holden78 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:56 am

Entry should be $10 , it’s been overpriced for so long by the dreamers at Sanfl :oops:
May I suggest that the old system for integrating afl players in our comp now looks
not too bad , worked well on the whole, while being cost effective . Unless you’re an
overpaid afl coach/manager with a self centred view of footy in SA.
9 team or 8 team comp I don’t care, but NO Ravens. Sure the two afl clubs would need
a significant input into what happens with their players in the Sanfl and going forward
all parties will need to give a little for the common good. Not hard?!!!
Playing the comp into summer should be a winner at the non cricket grounds with twilight
and double headers on Friday and Saturday. I’m sure the real Sanfl players would much
rather play then train at that time of the year. If the afl players don’t like it they can ...........
......... off :(
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:48 am

UK Fan wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
RB wrote:
Booney wrote:I think regardless of your stance on the AFL reserves gaining delight from the demise of something people covet is pretty ordinary behaviour.

Who the heck covets them?

Magpies crowds have halved since they became the reserves, while at the same time they've made three grand finals, in contrast to their missing the finals most of the time between 2000-2013.

I don't doubt your devotion Booney but you're in a very small group.

Anyway I seem to recall the SANFL had to talk them into keeping the Magpies when the Power franchise was set up. It's pretty clear the Power would be happy for an excuse to get rid of them. (Although I think our celebrations are premature, as much as I'd like it to be true.)

Also the quote of yours I highlighted is a straw man argument. The vast majority of us want to see the reserves gone. Apart from UKF, delight in potentially seeing the Magpies go is only because it'll mean no reserves (assuming the Ravens get the arse). And I think you know that.

Our hatred for the reserves infiltration runs many orders of magnitude deeper than our dislike of Port and I for one would have no problem with a standalone Magpies returning à la 1997-2013.

^ this. I don't want the Magpies dead per se. I want AFL reserves out of the league, and I will be overjoyed when they are gone.

The old Maggies have been dead for years unfortunately . It’s best for all that we just move on. Even Tredders agrees

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/sport/warren- ... de-magpies

finally, a Port person agreeing with you & me!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:49 am

LMA wrote:
No exceptions.

They wouldn't be top up players they would contracted league players so they would train with the squad as per normal, if they know early enough in the week that they're not playing then they may go back to their local club and train on the Thursday night. This is no different to what happens with the SANFL reserves and 18's players now and has happened for decades. I would expect that all league clubs would want their surplus players aligned to a top tier amateur division or country comp. For the local coaches it isn't ideal but something they're used to at the higher levels and they welcome the injection of talent.

this is crap, Roy used to watch the ressies from time to time, to watch particular players, how does coaching staff watch our "reserves players" when they're playing miles away.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby StrayDog » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 am

Pseudo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:I think it's been mentioned that it was a clause in the SANFL commissions decision to give the PAFC the second AFL licence that the club keep a presence in the SANFL but not be in anyway aligned with the Port Adelaide Football Club's AFL arm.
Which I still maintain was weak at the time by the SANFL.
No problem with Port going to a bigger and better league but that should have been the end of them in the SANFL there and then. Terrible decision to keep Port in the SANFL by all involved

It's certainly what the PAFC thought was happening.

Bucky Cunningham is on record in the press as wanting the Magpies to continue in some form. I cannot be arsed digging up the article; search the newstext archives if you like.

Macca19 gave an account of something along these lines in 2010.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30425&p=1142483#p1142483

Although Macca directly quoted two other posters, and boldfaced relevant points, that contribution seems to have essentially flowed on from a series of posts among which both he and Booney took issue with a (then recent) Warren Partland article.

Its getting a bit off topic for this particular thread, and possibly something others can remember from the time anyway, so I'll leave it at that.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:05 pm

My two Bob,s worth

Scrap the AFLW and SANFLW as no one gives a toss ( just another monetary burden for clubs)

Must retain the SANFL Reserves at all costs

The real die in the wool black and white eyed true Magpie supporters take back Alberton ( always was and still is SACRED MAGPIES Land for ever )

Banish the Power to Ethelton.

AFL players go back to SANFL clubs as previously ONLY if the SANFL clubs get compensated.

Quite simple really
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby LMA » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
LMA wrote:
No exceptions.

this is crap, Roy used to watch the ressies from time to time, to watch particular players, how does coaching staff watch our "reserves players" when they're playing miles away.

Time to time :lol:

Don't know but if the SANFL get rid of the Ressies comp clubs will need to adapt. I know Port used to send club people to suburban grounds to have a look at their players back in the day.
LMA
Coach

Postby Brett » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:36 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:My two Bob,s worth

Scrap the AFLW and SANFLW as no one gives a toss ( just another monetary burden for clubs)

The real die in the wool black and white eyed true Magpie supporters take back Alberton ( always was and still is SACRED MAGPIES Land for ever )

AFL players go back to SANFL clubs as previously ONLY if the SANFL clubs get compensated.

Quite simple really

I cant see the SANFL reserves going or any SANFL club going anywhere. I would not like to see Port go but that is an AFL decision now. They don't add much to the competition anyway now. They rock up GF day if they are there but that's it.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:56 am

holden78 wrote:Entry should be $10 , it’s been overpriced for so long by the dreamers at Sanfl :oops:
May I suggest that the old system for integrating afl players in our comp now looks
not too bad , worked well on the whole, while being cost effective . Unless you’re an
9 team or 8 team comp I don’t care, but NO Ravens. Sure the two afl clubs would need
a significant input into what happens with their players in the Sanfl and going forward
Playing the comp into summer should be a winner at the non cricket grounds with twilight
and double headers on Friday and Saturday. I’m sure the real Sanfl players would much
rather play then train at that time of the year. If the afl players don’t like it they can ...........

Buy a club season ticket and it works out about than that and the money goes to the club. $185 for season and $125 concession. Admission price is not an issue.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 555 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby LMA » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:23 pm

goddy11 wrote:
holden78 wrote:Entry should be $10 , it’s been overpriced for so long by the dreamers at Sanfl :oops:

Buy a club season ticket and it works out about than that and the money goes to the club. $185 for season and $125 concession. Admission price is not an issue.

Can get a Power membership fo near on that ;)
LMA
Coach

Postby stan » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 pm

Quite simple really
AFLW yes, a money drainer at the moment, not sure the SANFLW has the same issues, players don't get paid anywhere near AFLW players.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times

Postby JK » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:50 pm

stan wrote:

Quite simple really
AFLW yes, a money drainer at the moment, not sure the SANFLW has the same issues, players don't get paid anywhere near AFLW players.

Neither do the clubs!

SanflW won’t be going anywhere, nor it should, but its a drain on club resources
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Groucho » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm

LMA wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Can get a Power membership fo near on that ;)

Wouldn't get one if they were free or they paid me to have one!
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL