League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:21 pm

beef wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Royal Adelaide show cancelled

That's 5 month away. Shows me that we are in this for a long time yet

Absolutely, anyone thinking we're close to the end of this is getting ahead of themselves.

Someone in authority is going to have to sign off on "It's safe to go back about your business", how many boxes will they have to check to be happy doing so?

We'll need at least 4 weeks, maybe 6, of >2 new cases per day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Spangas » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 pm

Booney wrote:
beef wrote:

Absolutely, anyone thinking we're close to the end of this is getting ahead of themselves.

Someone in authority is going to have to sign off on "It's safe to go back about your business", how many boxes will they have to check to be happy doing so?

It's all media-driven crap. At the beginning of all this, it was COUNTRY WILL LOCKDOWN! Now, it's WHEN WILL THE LOCKDOWN END?
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:
beef wrote:

That's half the issue with the current measurements. How do we re-open, whats the magic figure it surely cant be zero?

Im interested to know what precedent this sets now that the government know they can do this and that we will somewhat abide.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see social distancing laws introduced in winters to come (thats not such a bad thing). What happens though when the flu season hits in a couple of years and the health care system is struggling to cope, could we be back to isolation laws for a 'few weeks' to help out the health care system when its overloaded.

Keep in mind historically the common flu has put the health system under significant stress before which is apparently 'alot' of the reason for the current actions.

What happens if another type of Cornovirus strikes in 9 months time do we have the money to do this over again?

Scary potential.

Personally the only sustainable solution is that those who are potentially going to be significantly impacted by flu/disease are going to need to be more self conscious and aware of the dangers than ever before. Those at risk are going to need to take full precautions in the way they live, as the rest of us will need to get on with living at some point. Eg they will need to learn to on-line shop to avoid crowded shops, they will need to be comfortable paying with bank card not cash etc etc.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby tigerpie » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:39 pm

The numbers coming out of the USA are mindboggling.
Half a million infections, almost a third of Adelaide's population!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:42 pm

whufc wrote:Keep in mind historically the common flu has put the health system under significant stress before which is apparently 'alot' of the reason for the current actions.

What do you mean "apparently a lot of the reason", keeping the hospitals from being inundated is EXACTLY the reason we're trying to limit the spread.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:43 pm

tigerpie wrote:The numbers coming out of the USA are mindboggling.
Half a million infections, almost a third of Adelaide's population!

1.7m people in SA, around 1.3m in wider metro Adelaide, US has 560,000 cases, over a third of the wider Adelaide metro area.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Further to my post, what do you think the life changing outcomes from Coronavirus will be. Below is my opinion.

-Social Distancing rules such as 1.5m distance & 4sqm per 1 person to be enforced in winter months in future years. Especially for businesses such as gyms, pubs, nightclubs.

-The continuation and push for a cashless society. If we are going to go to extraordinary lengths to protect the older generation (no matter what way you spin it they are the most at risk) they need to accept some of the technology that can assist such as shopping on-line, pay wave etc etc. Once again not a bad thing imo, im all for a cash less society.

-Whilst Covid isnt your ordinary Flu the threat and understanding of the 'flu' can kill will be greater than ever. I can see self isolation for people ill being policed greater than ever before. Once again not a bad thing, if you have a flu or a cold stay the f**k home whether its covid or not i dont want to catch your germs.

-Medical Centres being more incline to complete phone consulations in the future. This is a win/win for both the medical centre (can squeeze through more appointments) and the ill person who gets a quicker (cheaper for those not bulk billed) and on time appointment.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Keep in mind historically the common flu has put the health system under significant stress before which is apparently 'alot' of the reason for the current actions.

What do you mean "apparently a lot of the reason", keeping the hospitals from being inundated is EXACTLY the reason we're trying to limit the spread.

Well are you afraid then these actions might become common practise each winter when the flu system kicks off and the system is under the pump.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Well are you afraid then these actions might become common practise each winter when the flu system kicks off and the system is under the pump.

No.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

No.

Can i ask why. Surely even you will concede its not just Covid that has put the health system under pressure. Do you not think the medical experts will push for this next the flu really kicks off and we are running out of beds etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Trader wrote:
Q. wrote:You suggested that there would be more deaths from unemployment compared to COVID-19. This study does not show that and I have not seen any evidence anywhere to suggest that.

I said its a possibility yes. I've also said all along its a trade off.

IF we go too hard, the unemplyoment deaths will be higher.
IF we go too soft, the covid deaths will be higher.

No one knows where the correct position to be is, and no one will ever know, as you can't run parallel tests on this. It's all a guessing game.

Right now we are using 1.5% of our additional ICU beds. To me, that suggests we might have dialled up the restrictions a little too far.

The JobKeeper & JobSeeker policies are in precisely in place to mitigate the hardship associated with short-term unemployment, as Boon has pointed out:

Booney wrote:This then needs to have the unemployment benefits of each country demonstrated against those that were in place in Australia before the pandemic as well as the medical care offered to those who were unemployed. Let alone the increased access to financial support the stimulus packages recently released will have.

ie - Do all those countries have unemployment benefits and free medical? If not, that report tells us nothing about Australia.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm

whufc wrote:Further to my post, what do you think the life changing outcomes from Coronavirus will be.

The life changing outcome is that, next time, we won't take two goddamn months to shut the border.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm

whufc wrote:Can i ask why. Surely even you will concede its not just Covid that has put the health system under pressure.

Our health system was under pressure before this pandemic, go to the SA thread in politics and look at the discussion around ramping of ambulances etc.

What we did know about this virus is it's extremely contagious, life threatening to the elderly and those with comorbidity conditions and we didn't want what has happened in Italy, the UK and US where mass graves are being dug to hold the bodies of those who have died. When you look at where we are with what we've done compared to the US how anyone can say we've gone too far is beyond me. Every life we save is worth saving.

What does this mean going forward? Who knows, perhaps mandatory vaccinations of the 'flu and C-19 ( if and when available ) for over 65's every year. C-19 might be a once off, might get it when you get your first lot as a baby.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Q. wrote:
whufc wrote:Further to my post, what do you think the life changing outcomes from Coronavirus will be.

The life changing outcome is that, next time, we won't take two goddamn months to shut the border.

Agree.

Also introducing the 14 days isolation period for people returning from overseason. I think that will be in place a little bit more often for certain nations at certain points in time. Once again not a bad thing imo.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:

Agree.

Also introducing the 14 days isolation period for people returning from overseason. I think that will be in place a little bit more often for certain nations at certain points in time. Once again not a bad thing imo.

I think it might be in place permanently for some countries.

Could, off topic for a moment, mean Port never play in China again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Can i ask why. Surely even you will concede its not just Covid that has put the health system under pressure.

Our health system was under pressure before this pandemic, go to the SA thread in politics and look at the discussion around ramping of ambulances etc.

What we did know about this virus is it's extremely contagious, life threatening to the elderly and those with comorbidity conditions and we didn't want what has happened in Italy, the UK and US where mass graves are being dug to hold the bodies of those who have died. When you look at where we are with what we've done compared to the US how anyone can say we've gone too far is beyond me. Every life we save is worth saving.

What does this mean going forward? Who knows, perhaps mandatory vaccinations of the 'flu and C-19 ( if and when available ) for over 65's every year. C-19 might be a once off, might get it when you get your first lot as a baby.

No one in their wildest dreams believed the actions being taken at present would be as easy to introduce and police as they have.

Now that the government/health system knows it's a legitmate option i definitely expect it is proposed more often.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Q. wrote:

Agree.

I think it might be in place permanently for some countries.

Could, off topic for a moment, mean Port never play in China again.

Agree you could be right. In my opinion thats not a bad trade off between having our freedom to live our lives but also being caring and protecting of the greater population. Risk/Reward is pretty balanced on that one imo.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm

I note that the Early Childhood Education and Care Relief Package runs from 6th April to 28th June. Perhaps that June date gives us an indication of when they expect current national restrictions to loosen.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

No one in their wildest dreams believed the actions being taken at present would be as easy to introduce and police as they have.

Now that the government/health system knows it's a legitmate option i definitely expect it is proposed more often.

If on a global level the World Health Organisation determines a pandemic then yes, we will see this again, if it's a hectic 'flu season then no, we won't.

There's a chance the behaviour changes we are all making ( washing hands, no hand shakes/hugs, 1.5m ) will stay with us as we're hard to train but even harder to retrain we might see a slight fall in communicable diseases.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion