Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm

am Bays wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Looks like the Virgin Australia board has voted to go into voluntary administration and clear the decks. The Chinese government are very interested in picking off the carcass and running a revamped airline in Australia

Be interesting how the Federal government handle this one.
If they won’t stump up the cash then they shouldn’t block any potential sale IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's cheaper to stump up the cash once the debt has been sorted Donald Trump styles.....
Definitely on the cards. Either way I’m probably going to lose a stack of cash and points on them but we definitely need a second airline to keep QF honest. Who knows it could come out as an Australian owned airline at the end of this
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:Definitely on the cards. Either way I’m probably going to lose a stack of cash and points on them but we definitely need a second airline to keep QF honest. Who knows it could come out as an Australian owned airline at the end of this

Using domestic tourism as a savior to the economy will be difficult without VA.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby LMA » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:07 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:One big advantage to those countries, we are land locked so as soon as the country stopped admitting oversea people we were going to be fine.

No, Australia is not land-locked. It's girt. By sea.

Up until Australia Day this year when corrected her, my missus thought it was Dirt by Sea :D

Kind of makes sense though.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:33 pm

LMA wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
Brodlach wrote:One big advantage to those countries, we are land locked so as soon as the country stopped admitting oversea people we were going to be fine.

No, Australia is not land-locked. It's girt. By sea.

Up until Australia Day this year when corrected her, my missus thought it was Dirt by Sea :D

Kind of makes sense though.

Guilty!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:04 am

Jim05 wrote:Definitely on the cards. Either way I’m probably going to lose a stack of cash and points on them but we definitely need a second airline to keep QF honest. Who knows it could come out as an Australian owned airline at the end of this

Can't see the gubinment wanting to be the owner of an airline, particularly one that is about to cull jobs left right and centre leaving hundreds, potentially thousands, unemployed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:15 am

Booney wrote:

Can't see the gubinment wanting to be the owner of an airline, particularly one that is about to cull jobs left right and centre leaving hundreds, potentially thousands, unemployed.
If it goes into administration and most of the debt gets wiped and the shareholders are punted out I can see the government investing in it for a song.
Could pick it up very cheap and make dome decent money out of it
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:16 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

If it goes into administration and most of the debt gets wiped and the shareholders are punted out I can see the government investing in it for a song.

Bigger fish to fry.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Bigger fish to fry.
16,000 employed directly which could cost the government $900m in termination payments plus many more thousands that will be lining up at Centrelink for Jobseeker payments. The government keeps saying it will be domestic travel that kickstarts our recovery but how does that happen under a QF monopoly?
Freight prices will soar, trust me on that they are licking their lips.
Government travel costs will also increase by conservative estimates of $200m a year.
I’m not saying they should be 100% government owned at all but if a PE firm or another airline buys VA but needs some assistance to get up and running I wouldn’t be opposed to them chipping in a few hundred million like the QLD and NSW state governments are proposing to.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:52 am

Jim05 wrote:]16,000 employed directly which could cost the government $900m in termination payments plus many more thousands that will be lining up at Centrelink for Jobseeker payments. The government keeps saying it will be domestic travel that kickstarts our recovery but how does that happen under a QF monopoly?
Government travel costs will also increase by conservative estimates of $200m a year.
I’m not saying they should be 100% government owned at all but if a PE firm or another airline buys VA but needs some assistance to get up and running I wouldn’t be opposed to them chipping in a few hundred million like the QLD and NSW state governments are proposing to.

If a private enterprise comes forward they ( feds ) would much prefer that, it would most certainly be their first preference. A bail out would be last resort.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:01 am

Its all a big game of chess at the moment, let the negotiations begin.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:]16,000 employed directly which could cost the government $900m in termination payments plus many more thousands that will be lining up at Centrelink for Jobseeker payments. The government keeps saying it will be domestic travel that kickstarts our recovery but how does that happen under a QF monopoly?

If a private enterprise comes forward they ( feds ) would much prefer that, it would most certainly be their first preference. A bail out would be last resort.
Definitely. I keep hearing Etihad being mentioned which doesn’t fill me with great hope with their track record.
The two Chinese carriers are in the mix but I reckon the governments preference wouldn’t be them but if that’s the last possible choice they really have no option but to allow them to buy VA.
I still believe someone from left field might enter the mix and I’m tipping Qatar or ANA
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:18 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Definitely. I keep hearing Etihad being mentioned which doesn’t fill me with great hope with their track record.
The two Chinese carriers are in the mix but I reckon the governments preference wouldn’t be them but if that’s the last possible choice they really have no option but to allow them to buy VA.
I still believe someone from left field might enter the mix and I’m tipping Qatar or ANA

I heard one of the bigger super funds were looking at it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:35 am

Corona Man wrote:
Q. wrote:
Corona Man wrote:If China wants to keep wet markets, knock yourselves out, eat all the bats you want.... but be effed if you are coming down here with it.

A wet market (dubbed so because of their wet floors from ice used to keep food fresh) is just a market that sells fresh food. Sydney's fish market is a wet market. So is Melbourne's Queen Street market. Most of China has wet markets the same.

The problem is wildlife trade and sale of live wildlife for slaughter, which is currently banned in the reopened Chinese wet markets.

Ok. Then if they want markets with both live & dead animals where transfer of virus is possible whatever they are called.... eff off out of our country.

The Chinese and Thai wet markets I've seen (and I've seen a lot) are nothing like the Sydney Fish Market. Like comparing a 1900's bike to a Ferrari
Add in the prawn flans sitting in the 38c sun all day long in Viet Nam. The HK fish market was up to standard but some of the markets in upper Wan Chai would make you cringe.

Ice? I've never seen ice. They wouldn't waste the money. I've seen dry ice in Viet Nam but that doesn't cause wet floors.

Most of the butchered food is either on tables or hangs in the air for all to see. It sits there all day until they buy it in the late afternoon. Smells beautiful during the hot season
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I heard one of the bigger super funds were looking at it.
Yes, there are several non airline folk looking at them including a big super fund and several US consortiums. I think whoever buys them will need to be in a partnership with an airline or atleast have good connections in the industry though
Jim05
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:Definitely. I keep hearing Etihad being mentioned which doesn’t fill me with great hope with their track record.

Aren't Etihad in deep doggy do financially as well (admittedly this article is a year old)
https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/03/etihad-posts-third-straight-us1-billion-annual-loss/
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Bigger fish to fry.

Just don't buy them from a wet market.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:52 pm

am Bays wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Definitely. I keep hearing Etihad being mentioned which doesn’t fill me with great hope with their track record.

Aren't Etihad in deep doggy do financially as well (admittedly this article is a year old)
https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/03/etihad-posts-third-straight-us1-billion-annual-loss/
Etihad airlines are always in debt but luckily they are owned by Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan who is one of the richest men in the world and the airline is backed by the UAE government so they have no problems finding funds
Jim05
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Bigger fish to fry.

I stand to lose a lot of Velocity points, but that will not be my primary concern. My shares are in QANTAS and were once almost worthless but came good (at least for a while).

I don't think our government wants to own an airline, but I was briefly amused by the thought of them waiting for the lowest price then resurrecting ANA, the original of which the government eventually sold to the Ansett family.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:06 pm

I find it ironic that Virgin are the first ones f*****d.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I find it ironic that Virgin are the first ones f*****d.

Very sought after.......
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion