Best and worst grounds.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Best and worst grounds.

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:56 pm

I started reading that piece in The Advertiser
I got to Walkerville and decided to get back to work..............
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:Mitchell Park is a good surface and good lights also (do they get used for games?) but not sure of the appeal to be listed as one of the best.

I can't believe West Croydons away change rooms escape scrutiny, or do senior team just not used them?

unsure someone from Flaggy should criticize another club for their away rooms
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Mitchell Park is a good surface and good lights also (do they get used for games?) but not sure of the appeal to be listed as one of the best.

I can't believe West Croydons away change rooms escape scrutiny, or do senior team just not used them?

Third crack in here mate without substance.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:55 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

Ever seen West Croydon's? Make ours look huge!

We should have new change rooms in the next 12 months, just needs to council's tick.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Third crack in here mate without substance.

yeah because there's a whole lot of substance in here at the minute with everyone having a crack at everyone else's changerooms :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:21 pm

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

How Salisbury (I'm biased) didn't make this bracket but Largs North did with it's lack of coverage for spectators, no protection from the wind off the ocean and changerooms with no lighting is beyond me. ;)

I am surprised to see our oval on that list when Salisbury isn't on there, it is one of the best ovals I've played on, even in the wet.

Pag, you'll be happy to know that the new Verandah rebuild/extension that was finished last year and continues to be improved gives plenty of coverage for spectators and is now a great spot to watch the footy from. It offers some better protection from the sea breeze but really we'll never fully escape or avoid it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Footy Chick wrote:yeah because there's a whole lot of substance in here at the minute with everyone having a crack at everyone else's changerooms :lol:

Next topic - which changeroom has the most substance abuse. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby bandar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
bandar wrote:
I reckon Camden oval might improve in the rankings when we finally get to play there.

Well it hit rock bottom around this time last year so the only way was up :lol:

new deck looks schmik, btw...

Untried as yet but when we’ve had some rain the drainage seems to work well. The big question is how the pitch holds up. The fact it has had longer to bed in than expected might help.
bandar
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times
Grassroots Team: PHOS Camden

Postby Yank Man » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

We should have new change rooms in the next 12 months, just needs to council's tick.

Mitchell Parks deck is A1 standard, it’s away change rooms are Div 7 standard :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby The Informer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

Mitchell Parks deck is A1 standard, it’s away change rooms are Div 7 standard :D

Unsure how many A1 decks have a uncovered hardwicket cricket pitch in the middle
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:43 am

Footy Chick wrote:

yeah because there's a whole lot of substance in here at the minute with everyone having a crack at everyone else's changerooms :lol:

At least they are saying what they don't like about it.

Besides, the changeroom lights topic is iconic on here.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:48 am

The Informer wrote:Unsure how many A1 decks have a uncovered hardwicket cricket pitch in the middle

One... Mitchell Park :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby zedman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:11 am

The Bedge wrote:
The Informer wrote:Unsure how many A1 decks have a uncovered hardwicket cricket pitch in the middle

a concrete pitch on an oval is an immediate disqualification for any best oval commentary..

plympton has never excited me either, very small, runs east/west, a concrete cricket pitch and its a mud bucket in winter, you can do a good drop punt from the edge of one wing to the other..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:55 am

zedman wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

a concrete pitch on an oval is an immediate disqualification for any best oval commentary..

plympton has never excited me either, very small, runs east/west, a concrete cricket pitch and its a mud bucket in winter, you can do a good drop punt from the edge of one wing to the other..

Na, Plympton is definitely one on my blacklist for the east-west factor, lack of car parking or feel around the place, away changerooms were a weird shape too IIRC.

Must say though, we played there a few years ago on "Ladies Day", it was a nice Spring day and I don't think I've ever frequented a bar so many times in one afternoon.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 am

Any east/west oval should be black balled.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:33 am

Footy Chick wrote:Any east/west oval should be black balled.

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:54 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

How Salisbury (I'm biased) didn't make this bracket but Largs North did with it's lack of coverage for spectators, no protection from the wind off the ocean and changerooms with no lighting is beyond me. ;)

I am surprised to see our oval on that list when Salisbury isn't on there, it is one of the best ovals I've played on, even in the wet.

Pag, you'll be happy to know that the new Verandah rebuild/extension that was finished last year and continues to be improved gives plenty of coverage for spectators and is now a great spot to watch the footy from. It offers some better protection from the sea breeze but really we'll never fully escape or avoid it.

No idea how Salisbury does not make that list. A fantastic facility for local sport.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:00 pm

zedman wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

a concrete pitch on an oval is an immediate disqualification for any best oval commentary.

Just on this, how many footy ovals in Adelaide or the country with hardwicket cricket pitches use something other than sand to cover their pitches during footy season? Their doesn't seem to be any around in Adelaide that don't use sand?

For years the Port Adelaide council layed turf over our cricket pitch for footy season up until a few years ago where now a large artificial turf mat is now layed over the cricket pitch. It is more cost effective than laying turf every year and easier and quicker to put down/take off. During the most recent summer we finally had permanent matting layed down on our cricket pitch so now we effectively have two layers of artificial turf/matting that covers the cement pitch making it even safer for footy.

I believe Port Noarlunga does the same thing? I've always wondered if other clubs have a similar set up.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Why isn't Kenilworth's ground on that list?

It is one of the best grounds you will ever play on in the Adelaide Football League
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:12 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Just on this, how many footy ovals in Adelaide or the country with hardwicket cricket pitches use something other than sand to cover their pitches during footy season? Their doesn't seem to be any around in Adelaide that don't use sand?

For years the Port Adelaide council layed turf over our cricket pitch for footy season up until a few years ago where now a large artificial turf mat is now layed over the cricket pitch. It is more cost effective than laying turf every and easier to put down/take off. During the most recent summer we finally had permanent matting layed down on our cricket pitch so now we effectively have two layers of artificial turf/matting that covers the cement pitch making it even safer for footy.

I believe Port Noarlunga does the same thing? I've always wondered if other clubs have a similar set up.

Down south we all have the matting, its so heavy that it needs a crane to put it in place but then is fuses in with the natural grass, seems consistent across all grounds so must me the Onkaparinga council's preferred method. Seems to work well though, never heard any complaints.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League