AFL Round 6 - I'm a Victorian, GET ME OUT OF HERE!

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 6 - I'm a Victorian, GET ME OUT OF HERE!

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Turbo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="Armchair expert"]Anyone know the price of grand final tickets?

asking for a friend....
You and I won’t need to worry about it anytime soon ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha ha nice work. I would’ve been disappointed if you didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]It’s all a bit of fun, we have both been crap for an eternity :)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Have a look at a ball up in general play now, players are so close to the ruck man to ensure there is no space for anyone to work in. Rucks just hit it to their feet into the congestion cause they are too scared to hit in into space and giving the open field to the oppo. We now also see great field kickers not trying to hit a lead, but instead just dump it in high to a pack near the boundary line so if they dont win the footy they can get a stoppage Inside 50.

ive always been a fan of the game sorting itself out, but starting to wonder if it can get itself out of this mess.

Maybe the anti density rule they use in u18's is needed. At every stoppage there needs to be a certain number of players inside each 50m arc.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Get rid of the third man up rule.

Actually pay in the back in tackles.

Actually pay incorrect disposal in tackles.

Bring in last touch out of bounds.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Booney wrote:Get rid of the third man up rule.

Actually pay in the back in tackles.

Actually pay incorrect disposal in tackles.

Bring in last touch out of bounds.

16 minutes quarters - 16 blokes on the park - 5 in each forward/back 50.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3481 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:29 pm

I'm not for wholesale change like reducing numbers, just pay the basics as they used to be paid and we'll get the game moving.

The lack of in the back in tackles invariably leads to packs forming looking at the umpire, waiting for the decision to come. Just pay in the back and the player with the ball can move the ball.

The other thing I'd tidy up is giving the ball back when you've given away a free kick. The umpires go "Give him to him now....give it to him now..(player with the ball points ") "Him?"....yes, it's his....give it to him now". Give them one chance to throw it and if not pay the 50m penalty. Players milk 3-5 seconds on the mark all the time and that's 20m for most blokes and by the time the kick comes they've got back 50m into defence.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Shoukd have 19 players for one team and 18 for the other.
Only saw this experiment tried once and it was fantastic to watch.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Booney wrote:I'm not for wholesale change like reducing numbers, just pay the basics as they used to be paid and we'll get the game moving.

The lack of in the back in tackles invariably leads to packs forming looking at the umpire, waiting for the decision to come. Just pay in the back and the player with the ball can move the ball.

The other thing I'd tidy up is giving the ball back when you've given away a free kick. The umpires go "Give him to him now....give it to him now..(player with the ball points ") "Him?"....yes, it's his....give it to him now". Give them one chance to throw it and if not pay the 50m penalty. Players milk 3-5 seconds on the mark all the time and that's 20m for most blokes and by the time the kick comes they've got back 50m into defence.

Neither am I quite frankly, but the game is awful at the moment (and no not just Hawthorn) it's unwatchable.

NRL (I despise the game) made changes to their game at the beginning of the year, and going by those who follow the game, has inproved it out of sight. To reduce quarters to 16minutes, players don't fatigue, they get to more contests and congestion reigns. The only way to fix it is reduce players on the deck, or enlarge the playing area.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3481 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:I'm not for wholesale change like reducing numbers, just pay the basics as they used to be paid and we'll get the game moving.

Neither am I quite frankly, but the game is awful at the moment (and no not just Hawthorn) it's unwatchable.

NRL (I despise the game) made changes to their game at the beginning of the year, and going by those who follow the game, has inproved it out of sight. To reduce quarters to 16minutes, players don't fatigue, they get to more contests and congestion reigns. The only way to fix it is reduce players on the deck, or enlarge the playing area.

Reduce the bench to 2 for this year then, but leave 18 on the field. Let them get cooked.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm

Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Reduce the bench to 2 for this year then, but leave 18 on the field. Let them get cooked.

Way players are dropping Booney if you did that would be 14 onto 14, wait that might actually work ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3695 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:37 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Well we have a new leader in the “worst quarter of football for the year” awards.
Just dire
The game is in big trouble

Really, i havent heard that before, maybe they do something like first to 120 wins, that might promote scoring ;)

Ahh na in fact it will have the opposite effect. More defensive tactics from teams scared of losing.

How so?
Thats fine they can stay out there for 6 hours then
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Bandit » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Hey days i see your pushing the 120pts idea in a few threads, why did you go off the 'bonus point' idea for scores over 100?
I think i prefer the bonus point, keeps both teams trying to score all game. 120 would still turn out negative with teams scared to conceed a goal. Bonus pt messes with the traditional ladder i guess but they could change the points for a win to 2 or 6 i guess if they want the bonus point to have more or less influence.

Also, paying the rules that exist in the true intent as stated earlier would help. My big one is the not 15 marks being payed.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby LMA » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Bandit wrote:Hey days i see your pushing the 120pts idea in a few threads, why did you go off the 'bonus point' idea for scores over 100?
I think i prefer the bonus point, keeps both teams trying to score all game. 120 would still turn out negative with teams scared to conceed a goal. Bonus pt messes with the traditional ladder i guess but they could change the points for a win to 2 or 6 i guess if they want the bonus point to have more or less influence.

Also, paying the rules that exist in the true intent as stated earlier would help. My big one is the not 15 marks being payed.

Bonus point no good either unless all games are played under the roof at Marvel.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Turbo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Turbo wrote:[quote="Jim05"][quote="Armchair expert"]Anyone know the price of grand final tickets?

asking for a friend....
You and I won’t need to worry about it anytime soon ;)

Ha ha nice work. I would’ve been disappointed if you didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]It’s all a bit of fun, we have both been crap for an eternity :)[/quote]Yeah I know. The banter is good though

Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 am

LMA wrote:
Bandit wrote:Hey days i see your pushing the 120pts idea in a few threads, why did you go off the 'bonus point' idea for scores over 100?

Bonus point no good either unless all games are played under the roof at Marvel.

What about if each team say had 6 games they could nominate to play for a bonus point and it had to be against a team above them on the ladder. Nominate it on a Thursday. Would be plenty of bonus pt games for kicking a decent score and make it so the opposition could get the oppositions bonus pt if they kicked say 20 pts extra in that game.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:59 am

Bum Crack wrote:
LMA wrote:

What about if each team say had 6 games they could nominate to play for a bonus point and it had to be against a team above them on the ladder. Nominate it on a Thursday. Would be plenty of bonus pt games for kicking a decent score and make it so the opposition could get the oppositions bonus pt if they kicked say 20 pts extra in that game.

So did you guys like the Supergoal idea from the preseason a few years ago? Sounds about as ludicrous to me.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby LMA » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:01 am

Bum Crack wrote:
LMA wrote:

You lost me at bonus point. I've said before skills are the biggest issue for mine, with the inception of GC & GWS and the increase of list sizes over the years, we're seeing over 100 players on AFL lists that shouldn't be there. Trim the lists to 36, reduce the bench to 3 and push those 100 odd players back to the feeder comps. With smaller lists, you'll get better quality training sessions which hopefully would show on gameday.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am

What about a point for each quarter a side wins instead of 4 for the match.

Or bonus point for any side that kicks 5+ goals in a quarter.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 am

LMA wrote:You lost me at bonus point. I've said before skills are the biggest issue for mine, with the inception of GC & GWS and the increase of list sizes over the years, we're seeing over 100 players on AFL lists that shouldn't be there. Trim the lists to 36, reduce the bench to 3 and push those 100 odd players back to the feeder comps. With smaller lists, you'll get better quality training sessions which hopefully would show on gameday.

I disagree, I think shorter lists or less sides will just see more elite athletics at the top.

Biggest issue isn’t the skill level, it’s the congestion and fitness level of players, ability to literally get to every contest. Overcoached, too many structures, setups.. sides focused towards avoiding being scored against as opposed to being encouraged to score.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 am

LMA wrote:
You lost me at bonus point. I've said before skills are the biggest issue for mine, with the inception of GC & GWS and the increase of list sizes over the years, we're seeing over 100 players on AFL lists that shouldn't be there. Trim the lists to 36, reduce the bench to 3 and push those 100 odd players back to the feeder comps. With smaller lists, you'll get better quality training sessions which hopefully would show on gameday.

Correct! Finally!!! Someone gets it. Didn't think it would be you LMA :-) but happy to have a comrade.

The bit that's missing is the skill of the game. The basics have gone. Now we have 400 possessions for 10 goals but the running distance covered is astronomical. Bring the focus back to the skills and the game will fix itself.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:06 am

The Bedge wrote:
LMA wrote:You lost me at bonus point. I've said before skills are the biggest issue for mine, with the inception of GC & GWS and the increase of list sizes over the years, we're seeing over 100 players on AFL lists that shouldn't be there. Trim the lists to 36, reduce the bench to 3 and push those 100 odd players back to the feeder comps. With smaller lists, you'll get better quality training sessions which hopefully would show on gameday.

I disagree, I think shorter lists or less sides will just see more elite athletics at the top.

Biggest issue isn’t the skill level, it’s the congestion and fitness level of players, ability to literally get to every contest. Overcoached, too many structures, setups.. sides focused towards avoiding being scored against as opposed to being encouraged to score.

Cripps isn't the best runner and was overlooked by many teams. Now they regret it. Bring the focus back to people who can play the game, NOT the runners and the game will be in a better shape.
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL