North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:50 pm

That’s bloody impressive. I reckon I’ve got about 15 different ones.
One of them is framed & personally signed by Carey. Have one signed by Arch another by Boomer & a real old woolen one from the early 90’s complete with QANTAS sponsors patch signed by Wayne Schwass.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:24 pm

:heart: I haven't got much Roos stuff, got the WEG Herald Sun 1996 & 1999 Premiers poster framed with the 99 one signed by Adam Simpson and Shannon Grant. Got a 1996 Premiership Port signed by Dennis.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:14 pm

I got a couple of guernseys but wow what a collection.
I got 1 Guernsey signed by the whole team which I framed. I was a kid about 15 when I went to a trial game or ansett cup game at footy park. The old man started talking to an old mate from school who's son just been drafted by North. My eyes lit up, anyway, after a while he asked me if I wanted my Guernsey I was wearing to be signed by his son ( stuey cochrane). I said sure and took it off and gave it to him. He said he would get back to me.
Anyway get a phone call 6 months later to pick up my Guernsey from central districts where Richard worked. Signed by full squad with my name mentioned several times.
The year???
1998 :( :(
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby David Brent » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 am

Interesting take/swipe from former Swans premiership player & Adelaide assistant coach Ryan O'Keefe yesterday I read on twitter:

"We have this conversation about Ziebell every year. I just think he doesn't work hard enough... he's not blessed with speed but Tom Mitchell's not blessed with speed but he works hard. The more times you go to the well you're going to have a drink."

Fair crack at a club captain, right there.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:38 am

Adelaide Assistant - say no more.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MW » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Is he right though? I don't tend to watch North games
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:13 pm

MW wrote:I don't tend to watch North games

Neither dies O’Keefe by the sounds of it.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm

What statistic, what measure could you use to support O'Keefe's view?

Rebound 50's? Marks I50? 1%ers? Heat map?

A few that show's he's not up and back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Adelaide Assistant - say no more.

Former
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Adelaide Assistant - say no more.

Former

get him back then ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm

North Melbourne’s dismal form has raised questions about their list profile and whether a comprehensive rebuild is required.

It has gone pear-shaped for the Kangaroos since they won their opening two games, plummeting to 17th on the ladder after falling to a fifth-straight loss.

Rhyce Shaw’s side scored just two goals in the 54-point defeat to Richmond on Saturday night at Metricon Stadium with Jack Ziebell’s hamstring strain adding insult to injury

Speaking on SEN’s Whateley, Kane Cornes believes the Roos should follow Adelaide’s lead by bottoming out and undertaking a "total rebuild”.

“They need a total rebuild and they’ve been a little bit delusional with the way that they’ve rebuilt this squad and with the players they’ve brought into to try and paper over some cracks,” Cornes said.

“So Jasper Pittard, Jared Polec, Dom Tyson and Aaron Hall and the players you know of at the expense of investing (in the draft and in younger players).

“They've finished around mid-table for the last eight years means that they have never had that access to multiple first-round draft picks and being able to rebuild which is what they need.

“Forget the godfather offers to Andrew Gaff and to Jordan De Goey and to Isaac Heeney and what you’ve done in the past – that’s not the method to get North Melbourne where they need to go.

“The method is to do basically what Adelaide is doing. So Adelaide is a year ahead of what North Melbourne needs to do.

“There needs to be a complete rebuild at North and they need to forget the delusion of trying to recruit players to that club and invest through the draft and rebuild that footy club.”

It doesn't get any easier for North Melbourne with the ever-improving Carlton their next assignment at the Gabba on Saturday.

In a positive sign, the Roos have won their past five matches against the Blues.

Pittard and Polec ended up Butters and a pick used for points on Jackson Mead.
Hall, Gold Coast couldn't get rid of him quick enough, pick 75.
Tyson for Preuss and a late pick this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:10 pm

Easy to say you just go to the draft, we know that isn't the sole way to build a premiership side, it it was then Gold Coast and GWS would be swimming in premierships right now.

No one can say Polec and Pittard weren't good pick ups.

We are currently smashed by injuries, not an excuse but a reason, and our depth has been exposed. Shaw seems to be giving a few guys a chance that I wouldn't be, but thats OK cause Im sure he is still working out who to take forward into 2021 and beyond.

Comparing us to Adelaide is miles off the mark.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:Easy to say you just go to the draft, we know that isn't the sole way to build a premiership side, it it was then Gold Coast and GWS would be swimming in premierships right now.

We are currently smashed by injuries, not an excuse but a reason, and our depth has been exposed. Shaw seems to be giving a few guys a chance that I wouldn't be, but thats OK cause Im sure he is still working out who to take forward into 2021 and beyond.

Not that far off
bottom2.PNG
bottom2.PNG (3.49 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Easy to say you just go to the draft, we know that isn't the sole way to build a premiership side, it it was then Gold Coast and GWS would be swimming in premierships right now.

Not that far off
bottom2.PNG

Yeah I'd prefer to be an Adelaide supporter. At least they have some upside with the upcoming draft. North Melbourne are just perpetually shit. I would hate to be a supporter. Must really suck
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm

Would you like the trade winds to blow the other way for Higgins and Goldstein Dutchy? Been bringing in lots of blokes like Anderson, Polec, Pittard, Hall, Bonar, Walker and not going back to the draft after the retirement of the old blokes a few years back.

If you could have got something for them you should have taken it, IMO. Letting Preuss go ( albeit he's in the wings behind Gawn ) was odd given Goldstein's best football is well behind him.

I had a look back and the 2015-2017 drafts haven't given you much :

2015 - ( pick / games )
Ben McKay 21 - 4 games
Ryan Clarke 31 - 40 games and traded to Sydney
Mitch Hibberd 33 - 4 games, now at Essendon
Corey Wagner 43 - 8 games now at Melbourne
Declan Mountford 60 - 12 games, delisted

2016 -
Jy Simpkin 12 - 56 games
Declan Watson 34 - 0 games, delisted
Josh Williams 36 - 2 games, delisted
Nick Larkey 73 - 20 games

2017 -
Luke Davies-Uniacke 4 - 21 games
Will Walker 23 - 4 games
Kyron Hayden 62 - 6 games
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm

2015 was a bust, 16 & 17 will work out ok long term. Considering the high finishes in 2014 & 15 and lack of top 10 picks cause of that gives us part of the issue we now face.

Could have easily let Higgins and Goldy go, but as I said you can't go completely young, we would be in a worse position now.

We will most likely have 2 top 10 picks in this years draft, going to be critical we get this right.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:2015 was a bust, 16 & 17 will work out ok long term. Considering the high finishes in 2014 & 15 and lack of top 10 picks cause of that gives us part of the issue we now face.

Could have easily let Higgins and Goldy go, but as I said you can't go completely young, we would be in a worse position now.

We will most likely have 2 top 10 picks in this years draft, going to be critical we get this right.

Hopefully they don't offer them up and the war chest for a ready made player.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:Could have easily let Higgins and Goldy go, but as I said you can't go completely young, we would be in a worse position now.

But you brought in Pittard and Hall who are both 29, Polec nearly 28 and could have unloaded a 32 and 31 year old.

You haven't gone completely young, quite the opposite, you topped up and I'm not sure you would be given Pruess was around, in essence Higgins would have been the only real loss.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:48 pm

With the amount of Academy, F/S and Priority picks, the draft is unlikely to fast track a rebuild as quickly as it might have about a decade ago anyway. I agree that North should be in a much stronger position than Adelaide. Far more player currency for a start I would have thought?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Yeah I can see that, time will tell with Pruess, obviously not ripping it apart with Melbourne to date. Good reports on Xerri coming through.

I think Higgo and Goldy have a few more years left in them, both playing as well as ever.

Add Ziebell, Cunnington, Thomas, Garner, Zurhaar, Anderson, Larkey back into our team that we rolled out on the weekend and we are a different proposition IMO.

Simpkin, Scott, Taylor, Thomas, Zurhaar are all excellent young additions in the last couple of years, there is enough there for some hope.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL