SANFL 2020 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:15 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
JK wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:
These are some very good players for the Eagles and the other clubs named.

My concern, however, is do we even need them? The current blokes on our list have busted their a$s on the training track and have been playing very well. Most of them are not good enough to play AFL and they know it. They are playing for the love of the club and the game. I would imagine many of these imports are coming across with one goal - to play several games this year and potentially grab a spot on an AFL list next year. They aren't coming for the $$ - apparently SANFL players are playing for free. So clearly its a a bit of a selfish attitude. Footy mercenaries. Once the season ends do they intend to stick around and play next year? Or will they pack their bags and head home immediately if they don't get drafted? I'm a bit concern that their presence might disrupt the fabric of the clubs involved.

Given how well your mob are travelling I think thats a fair concern. Flipside might be a player goes undrafted but loves it there and stays for future seasons? Provided the coach sticks to his guns and only selects players based on their form (which by all accounts JS would) I think you'll be right.

It must be tough being an Eagles supporter at the moment.
I'd love to swap places with you.. ...you are top of the ladder top in the 2s basically and 2 top recruits on there way.
My club is bottom with a fairly big injury list which includes our number 1 recruit Daniel Menzel.

This is a season that we will just have to write off, apart from being able to blood a few new young players.
Even before the season started, we were in trouble when our two key interstate recruits. Nanscawen and Bunsworth, both remained in Victoria due to Covid-19. We also had our 'x-factor' player, Isaya McKenzie, out for the season with a leg injury, along with probably our most reliable best player, Travis Schiller, out for the first few rounds with a foot fracture. Round 1 didn't help when our key forward Daniel Menzel was ruled out for the rest of the season. Our other tallish recruit, Ben Kelly, also injured himself and has been out for a few weeks. One of the very few players left at the club with any height, Connor McLean, also missed the first four rounds with injury and is only now starting his return through the Ressies.

Added to this, we saw Butch (thank God for his return!) injure his hammie and now miss a few. So, now we have missing from our forward line pretty much all our key players (certainly the only ones with any height): Menzel, McLean, Kelly, Butcher, McKenzie, Falkenberg. We have had to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' by moving Muzza Stephenson from his key defensive position to the forward lines. Added to this, we have had both Schiller boys out injured from our midfield and even Hoskin was out for a couple.

As such, we were always going to be up against it this year so need to look for positives... and there have been a few. The form of ball-magnet, James Boyd, has been wonderful... thank God for coming back to us, James! Butch has proven that he is still a formidable presence up forward. Ryan Llewellyn has been a steady performer down back (now out injured unfortunately... sums up this season) and both Chris Olsson and Nick Lange have shown some excellent football skills. A few more of the young players have also shown something... Jack Toner, Brody Thompson, Wyatt Patterson, Rhett Montgomerie, Corey Durdin, Marcus Barreau, Dylan Weaver, Darcy Pisani. Added to that, the veteran campaigners, Trent Goodrem, Kyle Jenner and Justin Hoskin have all been invaluable (when not injured).

Yes, 2020 was almost over before it started for us... but there are signs of a good future ahead.
Cheers

this is an excellent summary!
and it's only round 6!! lol
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby southernbulldog » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:16 am

Agree with most of that summary apart from Nanscawen & Bunworth we also had Budarick he never came down from Darwin as well.Definitely agree on our height issue although we have Robinson running around in the reserves and at the very least he would worry defenders with his size and would bring the ball to ground if he didnt mark it .Lastly i think Jenner has struggled a bit this year and hasnt quite been the player of the past he has been very good for us over a large period of time but and thats only my opinion. It has been a tough year and nothing much has gone right but the boys are trying and with patience it will turn .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby northerner » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:28 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Agree with most of that summary apart from Nanscawen & Bunworth we also had Budarick he never came down from Darwin as well.Definitely agree on our height issue although we have Robinson running around in the reserves and at the very least he would worry defenders with his size and would bring the ball to ground if he didnt mark it .Lastly i think Jenner has struggled a bit this year and hasnt quite been the player of the past he has been very good for us over a large period of time but and thats only my opinion. It has been a tough year and nothing much has gone right but the boys are trying and with patience it will turn .

I would like to agree with you on Robinson, but he is a mark or be outmarked forward at the moment. He doesn't bring the ball down to his feet nearly enough. He should be dominating at the Ressie level where the ball is coming his way a whole heap. We do need another tall in the league, so maybe he gets a chance but he will be required to do more at the contest and also be accountable for his player running off him.
I have been very impressed with Muzzas last two games. He impacts at every contest, and he is creating a decent pathway forward.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby TDJ44 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 pm

northerner wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Agree with most of that summary apart from Nanscawen & Bunworth we also had Budarick he never came down from Darwin as well.Definitely agree on our height issue although we have Robinson running around in the reserves and at the very least he would worry defenders with his size and would bring the ball to ground if he didnt mark it .Lastly i think Jenner has struggled a bit this year and hasnt quite been the player of the past he has been very good for us over a large period of time but and thats only my opinion. It has been a tough year and nothing much has gone right but the boys are trying and with patience it will turn .

I would like to agree with you on Robinson, but he is a mark or be outmarked forward at the moment. He doesn't bring the ball down to his feet nearly enough. He should be dominating at the Ressie level where the ball is coming his way a whole heap. We do need another tall in the league, so maybe he gets a chance but he will be required to do more at the contest and also be accountable for his player running off him.
I have been very impressed with Muzzas last two games. He impacts at every contest, and he is creating a decent pathway forward.

Muzza has been ok the last 2 weeks,just doesn't impact on the scoreboard .
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Whilst Kyle hasn't been in the best of form personally, his presence and leadership on the field is invaluable. I forgot about Budarick... just adds to the tale of 2020 sadly. Re Damon (a St Iggies boy I am very proud of... plays for the right club, unlike most who end up at Norwood or Sturt *grins*), I don't think he is quite ready for League yet but may not be far away.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:59 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Whilst Kyle hasn't been in the best of form personally, his presence and leadership on the field is invaluable. I forgot about Budarick... just adds to the tale of 2020 sadly. Re Damon (a St Iggies boy I am very proud of... plays for the right club, unlike most who end up at Norwood or Sturt *grins*), I don't think he is quite ready for League yet but may not be far away.
Cheers

plus the Neagles, plus Wild.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:25 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Jenner dropped
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby TDJ44 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm

whufc wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Jenner dropped

He's injured
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:32 pm

whufc wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Jenner dropped

Thought this might have been a chance anyway if not injured, after a couple of terrible turn overs (passing use to be his strong point), also terrible turnover the week before. Kicked a great running goal from 50. Would have liked to see him play forward pocket or half forward in the second half last week, as usually a good o/head mark and solid kick at goal.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm

TDJ44 wrote:
whufc wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

Jenner dropped

He's injured

and Goody,
this side is very inexperienced, looks like a reserves side, 2 more debutants.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Brett » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:41 pm

Not sure where this belongs . Watching a SA Country league on you tube and the commentary is better ( excluding a a couple on on DP) as is the the vision compared to the Digital Pass.. They do replays as well. A lot to learn .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby mal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:23 pm

RD 6

GL started the round in 4th spot on the ladder after RD5
GL if they beat ST today could end up in 5th spot !

Current ladder
4TH: NW 3-3 51-61 %
5TH : GL 2-3 48-02 %
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm

goddy11 wrote:Looks like a few clubs chasing players before deadline

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... ff4c2b4fdc

Woodville-West Torrens is fighting to get VFL star Sam Lowson to Adelaide as SANFL clubs zero in on key recruits before Friday’s 5pm transfer deadline.
While North Adelaide is in talks to bring former Power ruckman Matthew Lobbe back to SA to boost its premiership hopes, AFL draft prospect Lowson has agreed to join the Eagles after the VFL season was cancelled because of COVID-19.
But the Victorian-based forward, from Coburg, is still waiting for the green light from SA Health and the SA Police because of the strict State border controls between the two States.
“Sam wants to play for us and we’re in the process of trying to get him over,’’ said Eagles chief executive Luke Powell.
“That’s become a bit of a battle, a bit frustrating, so we’ll continue to work with SA Health and the police to see what we can do.
“He’s ready to come over but it (his application, which includes a work permit as a carpenter) is on edge a bit at the moment.’’

Sam Lowson, with dreadlocks he has since cut off to raise money for mental health awareness, hopes to join SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens. Picture: DAVID CAIRD.
Brilliant medium forward Lowson, 24, this year emotionally revealed his battle with drugs and how he had turned the corner in the hope of playing AFL.
He was almost certain to be selected in last year’s AFL mid-season rookie draft before cruelly suffering a serious ankle injury two days before the draft.
The Eagles, who sit top with a 4-1 win-loss record, have already signed VFL team of the year onballer James Tsitas from Geelong’s VFL side to boost their flag chances.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
Calling out fake news and putting the media under the spotlight. Kenny on Media, new time Friday 8:30pm, Sky News. For more

The 25-year-old inside midfielder, who had signed to play for Williamstown this season, has been granted a work permit and is currently serving a 14-day quarantine period in Adelaide.
There are no match payments for SANFL players this season because of the coronavirus pandemic.
North hopes to get an answer from 100-game former AFL ruckman Lobbe in the next 24 hours.
Lobbe, 31, had signed to play for Werribee but is now considering finishing the season in the SANFL.
“We’ve been talking to him but there’s still a lot to play out,’’ said North football manager Darryl Wintle.

Matthew Lobbe (right) contests a ruck contest against the Giants while playing for Carlton in 2018. Picture: HAMISH BLAIR (AAP).
The Roosters have signed NT Thunder half-back/wingman Kieren Parnell, who had moved to Melbourne to play for Williamstown.
South Adelaide has had its flag odds shortened by signing former Crows ruckman Paul Hunter and his Williamstown teammate Daly Andrews while Sturt has made two prized VFL signings from Werribee, small forward Jack Henderson, who made last season’s VFL team of the year, and ruckman Darcy Bennett.
They have been quarantining in Adelaide and should be available for Sunday’s clash against Glenelg.
“With no VFL season, they were keen for an opportunity in the SANFL and they fill some needs for us,’’ said Double Blues football manager Chris Trapp.
The mid-season influx of key VFL recruits into the SANFL follows Sturt’s pre-season signing of former Power-listed forward Aidyn Johnson from Richmond’s VFL side.
SANFL general manager of football Matthew Duldig said the signings, which could change the face of the season, were good for the competition.
“We’re really big on supporting our local players but the clubs who have just signed VFL: players have generally been talking to them for 12-to-18 months and they strengthen our competition, which is a good thing,’’ he said.

Does anyone have an update on the outcome of these players? Did clubs manage to get them across the border in time?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Souths 2 players were at Prospect watching yesterday.

Parnell played for Norths reserves.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby ferret » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:47 pm

James Tsitas is already here, has about a week to go of his isolation.
Sam Lowson should arrive on Monday.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Unless he is deemed an essential traveller he will not get entry
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:40 pm

DOC wrote:Unless he is deemed an essential traveller he will not get entry

According to this morning's Sunday Mail, Lowson's entry has been approved.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby PanthersFan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 am

Do the new recruits have to play a certain amount of games to qualify for finals if their respective club make the finals?
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:57 pm

I think crowds may get reduced back this weekend.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby goddy11 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 am

CENTRAL District has used its connections well to sign a young key forward from VFL club Box Hill.
Tom Graham is son of former Hawthorn and Richmond player Mark Graham.
Central and Hawthorn champion John Platten set the wheels in motion, through his extensive friendship and knowledge of the Hawks’ players, when the VFL competition was canned this season because of coronavirus restrictions, leaving many players without a football home for the season.
Tom, 20, about 197cm, who is isolating in SA for another week after arriving from Victoria, had played high-level junior basketball until three years ago. But switching to football, he played with Oakleigh Chargers in 2018 and 2019, before signing with Box Hill this season.
Bulldogs’ coach Jeff Andrews said he was thrilled to have Graham on board.
“It came about with Platts’s connection with Hawthorn and knowing Mark (Graham) well,’’ Andrews said.
“He (Tom) will come on to the track next week but we won’t rush him. We are keen to get some ‘ks’ into his legs.
“He hopes to get back into the system and maybe look at being drafted one day.’’
Graham Sr played 223 games for the Hawks between 1993 and 2004 and 20 for Richmond in 2005 and was often seen running out on to the field with young Tom alongside.
Central also was pleased with the league debut last Saturday of another young recruit, Jack Toner, who picked up 18 possessions against North Adelaide.
Toner, 20, had played with Dandenong Stingrays in the VFL for the past two years.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL