Round 8 Sturt v Centrals Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 8 Sturt v Centrals Saturday 1410

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:15 pm

Groucho wrote:What a wonderful day. An enjoyable 11 goal loss with the largest losing margin for the year. This season gets better every week. I'm so sad that there are only 6 games left to enjoy this season.

I can't believe how much opposition supporters enjoy playing us. I especially enjoy them laughing at our ineptitude and cheering every mistake and missed goal. Currently I rate us as 10th out of 8. This is the worst Centrals team in our history and possibly the worst team ever in the SANFL.

I didn't see the game.

I do believe we are ordinary.

So the question will be - does the coach have the cattle or is the coach no good? My thoughts are that despite how good the coach is.... The cattle maketh the coach.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:18 am

Yesterdays loss confines us to bottom this season .Even if we beat West and that is a massive if we need to makeup % and them some to avoid the wooden spoon .On what we have shown this year we wont get close to winning against the sides we play after West so if we dont win this coming week we wont a game
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby goddy11 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:30 am

southernbulldog wrote:Yesterdays loss confines us to bottom this season .Even if we beat West and that is a massive if we need to makeup % and them some to avoid the wooden spoon .On what we have shown this year we wont get close to winning against the sides we play after West so if we dont win this coming week we wont a game

Are you reserves players getting a fair run. They are second with a good percent. How do you rate your coach? He; from interstate and sometime I don't think they understand the local environment. Lonergan at the Eagles last year was not a heavy promoter of juniors and personally I was glad when he went.
Good to see Boyd playing well but when with us his little chip passes did not go to advantage. Lonergan always picked a small side of accumulators to our detriment.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:58 am

The reserves play a good brand of footy and dont seem to turn the ball over as much as the league side.One of our concerns has been a lack of height at times we have 1 player in the forward line over 6 ft the rest are 5 ft 10 at best. I think we need to give Jeff Andrews a chance and see what happens next year definitely need to improve the list but somehow improve the appalling skills we have.You are right about Boydy he has been outstanding and is the only player who consistently knows how to use the ball with effect .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:56 am

you know what? It's only footy, someone has to finish bottom & I'd rather it be this crazy, stuffed-up season than any other.
It's great that we are bringing through these young guns, hopefully in the summer we can attract some bigger blokes.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 pm

southernbulldog wrote:The reserves play a good brand of footy and dont seem to turn the ball over as much as the league side.One of our concerns has been a lack of height at times we have 1 player in the forward line over 6 ft the rest are 5 ft 10 at best. I think we need to give Jeff Andrews a chance and see what happens next year definitely need to improve the list but somehow improve the appalling skills we have.You are right about Boydy he has been outstanding and is the only player who consistently knows how to use the ball with effect .

Are their any obvious players in Centrals reserves who will get drafted next year? I don't know your side well. If not, you would imagine at least a handful of these players will make the step up to the next grade in 2021, particularly if they are getting some game time this year.

Whilst it would appear the dogs will win the spoon this year I still maintain that your team isn't that bad. There have been plenty of wooden spoon teams over the last 30 years or so that have been far worse and would regularly get thrashed by 50+ points each week. From what i read and have seen, it feels like you are very competitive for a 1-2 quarters then go missing for a quarter and this is where the damage is done. But I would doubt that any team in the SANFL comes up against centrals and would privately chalk down a win before the game has been played.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:38 pm

and to cap things off, T. Menzel is done for the season.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby zipzap » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:43 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Groucho wrote:What a wonderful day. An enjoyable 11 goal loss with the largest losing margin for the year. This season gets better every week. I'm so sad that there are only 6 games left to enjoy this season.

I can't believe how much opposition supporters enjoy playing us. I especially enjoy them laughing at our ineptitude and cheering every mistake and missed goal. Currently I rate us as 10th out of 8. This is the worst Centrals team in our history and possibly the worst team ever in the SANFL.

I do believe we are ordinary.

So the question will be - does the coach have the cattle or is the coach no good? My thoughts are that despite how good the coach is.... The cattle maketh the coach.

We're pretty inconsistent at the moment but with so many new faces still to properly gel, that's not unexpected.

As for the coach, I'm not sure I know enough to be convinced or otherwise but my estimation of him went up substantially on the weekend, watching (and hearing!) him being very active on the sidelines, barking instructions, interacting with the players positively when they came off. I've never seen such hands-on coaching at this level and it was quite impressive.
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Ronnie » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Central's have some hard working midfielders and they always give their best but their key positions appear pretty weak at least based on the Unley display. Their reserves sides easily took care of a decent Sturt reserves side and looked the goods. Are a lot of those blokes just very good reserves players and not much more or do some of them offer a future as really good league players? Players like Fort stuck in reserves stood out.
For Sturt it was a reasonably settled team, not the insane 5 or more changes every week. Aidyn Johnson finally displaying some of his talent. Question whether they can keep him next year as he was off to the VFL before events changed.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Groucho » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:The reserves play a good brand of footy and dont seem to turn the ball over as much as the league side.One of our concerns has been a lack of height at times we have 1 player in the forward line over 6 ft the rest are 5 ft 10 at best. I think we need to give Jeff Andrews a chance and see what happens next year definitely need to improve the list but somehow improve the appalling skills we have.You are right about Boydy he has been outstanding and is the only player who consistently knows how to use the ball with effect .

Whilst it would appear the dogs will win the spoon this year I still maintain that your team isn't that bad.

Are you serious? They haven't won a game all year and don't look like winning one this year. How many other wooden spoon sides were win-less, other than Central's 1964 side. They rarely score more than 5 or 6 goals a game.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:23 pm

Groucho wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

Whilst it would appear the dogs will win the spoon this year I still maintain that your team isn't that bad.

Are you serious? They haven't won a game all year and don't look like winning one this year. How many other wooden spoon sides were win-less, other than Central's 1964 side. They rarely score more than 5 or 6 goals a game.

I'm referring to overall competitiveness. Whether you finish bottom and get 2 wins or whether you get 0 wins is really beside the point. I'm talking about how hard you push the better sides. Whilst bottom, your side is far more competitive than some of the sides Sturt was fielding in early 90s as I recall. For example, I googled season 1991 and 1992 the three and two wins but with a percentage of sub 40%!! They were getting belted virtually every week. Your team is not getting belted i.e a much stronger team. And kicking 5-6 goals per week isn't that bad when the opposition is only kicking 8-9 goals. The point is it will only take 1-2 good recruits and/or a couple of juniors to come good and things will turn around very quickly. Its not all doom and gloom :)
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:

I'm referring to overall competitiveness. Whether you finish bottom and get 2 wins or whether you get 0 wins is really beside the point. I'm talking about how hard you push the better sides. Whilst bottom, your side is far more competitive than some of the sides Sturt was fielding in early 90s as I recall. For example, I googled season 1991 and 1992 the three and two wins but with a percentage of sub 40%!! They were getting belted virtually every week. Your team is not getting belted i.e a much stronger team. And kicking 5-6 goals per week isn't that bad when the opposition is only kicking 8-9 goals. The point is it will only take 1-2 good recruits and/or a couple of juniors to come good and things will turn around very quickly. Its not all doom and gloom :)

Agreed, the only problem is that it is getting difficult for Central to recruit players. For one, we are struggling financially; perhaps a bit more so than other clubs. Secondly, most recruits want to be based nearer the city. I know of a few players from other clubs who have stated their reason for not coming to Central is our location. Wnen players were earning larger coin, an hour's drive to training or to matches wasn't quite a big deal. However, in the current climate, it is a major consideration for players.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby northerner » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:46 pm

The Doggies Reserves team had 14 players who have been demoted at some stage this season.
Coach Andrews has made multiple changes most week, but it usually results ina player who was BOG in the ressies in one week, barely getting a sniff in the league the following week.
We have a lot of handy footballers, but very few who can have a match-winning moment at the top level. Some will develop into impact players at the top level, hopefully sooner than later.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm

Whilst it would appear the dogs will win the spoon this year I still maintain that your team isn't that bad. [/quote]

Are you serious? They haven't won a game all year and don't look like winning one this year. How many other wooden spoon sides were win-less, other than Central's 1964 side. They rarely score more than 5 or 6 goals a game.[/quote]

I'm referring to overall competitiveness. Whether you finish bottom and get 2 wins or whether you get 0 wins is really beside the point. I'm talking about how hard you push the better sides. Whilst bottom, your side is far more competitive than some of the sides Sturt was fielding in early 90s as I recall. For example, I googled season 1991 and 1992 the three and two wins but with a percentage of sub 40%!! They were getting belted virtually every week. Your team is not getting belted i.e a much stronger team. And kicking 5-6 goals per week isn't that bad when the opposition is only kicking 8-9 goals. The point is it will only take 1-2 good recruits and/or a couple of juniors to come good and things will turn around very quickly. Its not all doom and gloom :)[/quote]

Agreed, the only problem is that it is getting difficult for Central to recruit players. For one, we are struggling financially; perhaps a bit more so than other clubs. Secondly, most recruits want to be based nearer the city. I know of a few players from other clubs who have stated their reason for not coming to Central is our location. Wnen players were earning larger coin, an hour's drive to training or to matches wasn't quite a big deal. However, in the current climate, it is a major consideration for players.

I thought the Eagles would stuggle badly this year in the absence of being able to attract any marquee recruit that every other club seemed to be getting. Whether that was Douglas and Bastinac to North, Menzel to Centrals or Hartung and Moore to North Adelaide. The eagles did not have a single player in the SANFL's top 10 recruits for season 2020 that was published pre-season. A large reason for this would no doubt have come down to the inability of the club to afford them. Given this, Sheedy was forced to look inwards and to give some of its talented juniors at U18 and Reserves level every opportunity. Also to unheralded players from the amateur league. As a result we now have players like Jones, Wehr, Commitogiani, McNeill, Seymour etc all playing great footy for us and giving us great value as much of any of these high priced recruits from opposing clubs. The point is that it certainly helps being able to afford to buy top recruits but investing in the club's youth is also another strategy that can work and might need to be the strategy for the bulldogs going forward given the talen you have in your juniors.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Postby TDJ44 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Our under 18s and under 16s finished bottom last season mr Fuller so not the talent there to promote unfortunately.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brett » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Bulldogproud , what has changed since Centrals dynasty ? Not the location . We had a salary cap then as well so that only leaves 2 things I reckon. 1 is no one wants to play for Centrals or players arent being being rewarded outside the cap.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby southernbulldog » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Northerner that is disappointing that players that are BOG in the ressies dont get selected
southernbulldog
Reserves

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:01 am

Brett wrote:Agreed, the only problem is that it is getting difficult for Central to recruit players. For one, we are struggling financially; perhaps a bit more so than other clubs. Secondly, most recruits want to be based nearer the city. I know of a few players from other clubs who have stated their reason for not coming to Central is our location. Wnen players were earning larger coin, an hour's drive to training or to matches wasn't quite a big deal. However, in the current climate, it is a major consideration for players.

Bulldogproud , what has changed since Centrals dynasty ? Not the location . We had a salary cap then as well so that only leaves 2 things I reckon. 1 is no one wants to play for Centrals or players arent being being rewarded outside the cap.

How do we reward players outside the cap. Give them a Schmako.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am

southernbulldog wrote:Northerner that is disappointing that players that are BOG in the ressies dont get selected

You need more than 1 good game though, you need to be consistently good to get promoted,
I spoke to a league player the other day, whilst it's great that lots of kids are getting blooded, he said that it's not great for team stability & the game plan etc.
He also said that this weekend is pretty much a mini grand final for the side.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby southernbulldog » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:47 pm

Hope that isnt a sign of disharmony .As for Saturday it will show how much we dont want to finish bottom by the way we play lets see if we really dont want to finish bottom more than West ,one thing though if we dont beat them cant see us beating anyone else for a winless season .
southernbulldog
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL