Rd 9 Eagles v Sturt at Maughn Thiem at 2:10 pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rd 9 Eagles v Sturt at Maughn Thiem at 2:10 pm

Postby ferret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Parry last played for the Eagles in 2013. Since then Borholm was our only ruckman in 2014, played 19 games. No Redden. In 2015 Borholm played 19 games and our wonderful recruit ruckman Jackson Thurlow played eight, no Redden. In 2016 Borholm and Redden both played 20 games. In 2017 Borholm played 11 games and missed 9 games in a row, West replaced him and played10 games, no Redden. Borholm and Redden shared the ruck in 2018. Redden and Guilhaus shared the ruck in 2019. Although Borholm and Guilhaus weren't great ruckmen they always gave 100%. Within the four years West has been at the club I feel he has had plenty of time to establish himself as a ruckman and he hasn't.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Talking Rucks, I believe Grady Armfield played in the ruck for the seconds on the weekend. Did anyone see him play? If so, how'd he go?
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:20 pm

ferret wrote:Parry last played for the Eagles in 2013. Since then Borholm was our only ruckman in 2014, played 19 games. No Redden. In 2015 Borholm played 19 games and our wonderful recruit ruckman Jackson Thurlow played eight, no Redden. In 2016 Borholm and Redden both played 20 games. In 2017 Borholm played 11 games and missed 9 games in a row, West replaced him and played10 games, no Redden. Borholm and Redden shared the ruck in 2018. Redden and Guilhaus shared the ruck in 2019. Although Borholm and Guilhaus weren't great ruckmen they always gave 100%. Within the four years West has been at the club I feel he has had plenty of time to establish himself as a ruckman and he hasn't.

Fair enough!

At the very least it is great to have this player depth at our club.

I thought our young debutant - Williams - didn't look out of place in his first league game for us. I keep hearing good things about Poulter in the U18s so will be interesting to see if he also gets a go at some stage.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby ferret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:Talking Rucks, I believe Grady Armfield played in the ruck for the seconds on the weekend. Did anyone see him play? If so, how'd he go?

Did very little, wouldn't get too excited.
ferret
Reserves

Postby ferret » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:Parry last played for the Eagles in 2013. Since then Borholm was our only ruckman in 2014, played 19 games. No Redden. In 2015 Borholm played 19 games and our wonderful recruit ruckman Jackson Thurlow played eight, no Redden. In 2016 Borholm and Redden both played 20 games. In 2017 Borholm played 11 games and missed 9 games in a row, West replaced him and played10 games, no Redden. Borholm and Redden shared the ruck in 2018. Redden and Guilhaus shared the ruck in 2019. Although Borholm and Guilhaus weren't great ruckmen they always gave 100%. Within the four years West has been at the club I feel he has had plenty of time to establish himself as a ruckman and he hasn't.

Fair enough!

At the very least it is great to have this player depth at our club.

I thought our young debutant - Williams - didn't look out of place in his first league game for us. I keep hearing good things about Poulter in the U18s so will be interesting to see if he also gets a go at some stage.

Been following Zane Williams for a little while now. Captain of our U18s premiership team last year. Has pace and a neat kick, but best of all he has footy smarts, could see him and Little Jimmy forming a dynamic duo.

Caleb Poulter and Jase Burgoyne are going extremely well. Poulter should probably be a top 25 draft selection. Jase Burgoyne is a star, too young to be drafted this year but will be a Father/Son in 2021. Another lad in the U18's that is absolutely burning is Max Litster, just seems to get better each week. His father Chris Litster played one league game for West Torrens in 1986, also played several reserves games, but farming on YP halted his career.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Hawke » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:08 pm

No question that Eagles have surpassed most SANFL supporters expectations but a worrying trend of other seasons (when the Eagles were minor Premiers) is returning and that is: our scoring has dried up. Still winning (that's good) but struggling to kick 14 goals for several weeks, after scoring quickly and well earlier in the season - the last good quarter (from memory) was the 7 goal 2nd quarter against Glenelg.

With no dominating key tall forward kicking bags of 4-5 goals, we have been successful with quick movement into our forward lines but now Clubs are combating that more. Trouble, of course, in the finals, you're always at risk when the opposition break loose for 15 mins and kick 5-6 goals (like North and Sturt did in previous finals) and with our low scoring ability we can't make a comeback - we've got to get back to higher scoring. Sheedy recognises that we need to add another option to our forward line and Lachlan Jones, when shifted to full forward, looked dangerous last Saturday albeit only as a medium size forward (a la Tim Inkster like). Perhaps Sam Lowson was hoped to be an option but against Sturt Seconds, he looked a long way off.

Disappointing that Jamie Coff's development was slowed this year by a knee injury. He and big Pearce look to be promising key forward potential in 2021 but no talls on this year's horizon so rely on quick movement and the occasional "chaos ball" entry
Meanwhile, North are cruising along as Premiership favourites, being able to kick 18 goals in a canter with Hendry and big Harvey giving easy targets. There'll be days ahead when James Rowe is negated.
Hawke
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Hawke » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:09 pm

No question that Eagles have surpassed most SANFL supporters expectations but a worrying trend of other seasons (when the Eagles were minor Premiers) is returning and that is: our scoring has dried up. Still winning (that's good) but struggling to kick 14 goals for several weeks, after scoring quickly and well earlier in the season - the last good quarter (from memory) was the 7 goal 2nd quarter against Glenelg.

With no dominating key tall forward kicking bags of 4-5 goals, we have been successful with quick movement into our forward lines but now Clubs are combating that more. Trouble, of course, in the finals, you're always at risk when the opposition break loose for 15 mins and kick 5-6 goals (like North and Sturt did in previous finals) and with our low scoring ability we can't make a comeback - we've got to get back to higher scoring. Sheedy recognises that we need to add another option to our forward line and Lachlan Jones, when shifted to full forward, looked dangerous last Saturday albeit only as a medium size forward (a la Tim Inkster like). Perhaps Sam Lowson was hoped to be an option but against Sturt Seconds, he looked a long way off.

Disappointing that Jamie Coff's development was slowed this year by a knee injury. He and big Pearce look to be promising key forward potential in 2021 but no talls on this year's horizon so rely on quick movement and the occasional "chaos ball" entry
Meanwhile, North are cruising along as Premiership favourites, being able to kick 18 goals in a canter with Hendry and big Harvey giving easy targets. There'll be days ahead when James Rowe is negated.
Hawke
Mini-League

Postby Aerie » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:58 pm

I think that is why Sheedy has had Von Bertouch in the forward line, to complement the Hayes brothers and offer that bigger mobile target. He has sacrificed a tall down back, but fortunately Jones, Giuffreda and Pearce have all been able to play tall back there and along with Thompson, Mansell, Rowland and Wehr, have formed a really strong back line. Even when Thompson was injured, he kept that same forward structure.

There are plenty of forward options. You would expect Lowson to take a few weeks to adjust and would expect he’ll make an impact at some stage. Nick Hayes is a much better player now than he was a few years ago, with a harder edge. Carcuro offers that lead up target. Jack Hayes and Rowe are the real keys to the potency in attack.

The midfield still has Redden, Poole, Goldsworthy and Lonergan to add, so plenty of depth. No problems there.

Sheedy has still been able to introduce some new players too and tried some in different positions.

They just have to keep cracking in and keep doing it for longer than the opposition. Easier said than done, but they are well coached, have the talent and are developing the belief game by game.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Hawke » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 am

Aerie, Stats don't lie - our scoring has dried up in the last 4 games. Against Centrals, West and Sturt , it was our efficiency in attack when we should have been able to "blow them away". Also South and Glenelg had far more forward 50 entries, and our conversion rate against Glenelg was freakish. So perhaps it's a supply problem from our midfielders/half forwards. But it's got to be fixed to avoid another disappointing finals exit.
Meanwhile "am happy", enjoying the journey, even if the destination is dubious. (question: when was the last time Nick Hayes kicked a bag of goals?)
Hawke
Mini-League

Postby goddy11 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 am

Hawke wrote:Aerie, Stats don't lie - our scoring has dried up in the last 4 games. Against Centrals, West and Sturt , it was our efficiency in attack when we should have been able to "blow them away". Also South and Glenelg had far more forward 50 entries, and our conversion rate against Glenelg was freakish. So perhaps it's a supply problem from our midfielders/half forwards. But it's got to be fixed to avoid another disappointing finals exit.
Meanwhile "am happy", enjoying the journey, even if the destination is dubious. (question: when was the last time Nick Hayes kicked a bag of goals?)

We have been around the 11 goal per match team in every match this season. Against Norwood and Glenelg it was 16 goals. The only difference I have seen is that the Hayes boys have not been as efficient. This season has been low scoring for all teams.
I would like to see higher scores for our forward entries however.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby ferret » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 am

Before the start of the season I thought the Eagles would have finished about sixth. Sheedy is very astute as we have come to see. He did a tremendous amount of homework and research after he was appointed to have he Eagles up and running from the beginning. I have confidence in his approach to be able improve our scoring. It must be remembered that Centrals, West and Sturt played very negative games and tried to minimise the damage. I think when we play teams that want to attack and win, our game will open up and give us more scoring opportunities. Although our entries in to the forward 50 might not be high, we always seem to have good efficiency. Our reduced scoring might be disappointing but at the same time our defence is getting better and better so there are positives to be taken from our games. I just think we will be even better in 2021 when Sheedy has had twelve months to assess everything.
ferret
Reserves

Postby southee » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:59 am

I reckon Sheedy has the Eagles the fittest they have been for along time.

Both Eagles and South are 2 of the fittest sides in the competition IMO.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby southernbulldog » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Goddy11 i wouldnt be to worried about your scoring you are still winning and thats what good sides do they find a way to win .Would gladly swap positions with you guys
southernbulldog
Reserves

Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Eagles Nest » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:42 pm

southee wrote:I reckon Sheedy has the Eagles the fittest they have been for along time.

Both Eagles and South are 2 of the fittest sides in the competition IMO.

Do you include Redden in that ?
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Hawke » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:21 pm

Re big Redden, 2nd best ruckman in SANFL behind Baulderstone this year. Always finds a target with kicking and handballing and tapwork is not bad eitherand creates a passage for his smaller players. Quick with his hands and never gets caught holding-the-ball. Even Baulderstone can't shift him when he plants himself under the ball. Despite his size, knows where to run on the field to be in the contest most times. The way he's performing, I hope he'll be around for another 2 seasons.
Hawke
Mini-League

Postby goddy11 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:03 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Goddy11 i wouldnt be to worried about your scoring you are still winning and thats what good sides do they find a way to win .Would gladly swap positions with you guys

I'm not really complaining about the attack. We have an even team structure and a youth policy to which I have been subscribing to for years. Too many of our kids leave without a 1st team look in.
This year has been such a low scoring affair for all the teams. Where have all the forwards gone?
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby whybother » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Regarding the Eagles forwards, they have the "best" attack ie highest points for, and the "best" defence ie least points against, leading to the highest percentage. Can't really ask for much more. (Would have been nice to get Hunter though)
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Hawke wrote:Re big Redden, 2nd best ruckman in SANFL behind Baulderstone this year. Always finds a target with kicking and handballing and tapwork is not bad eitherand creates a passage for his smaller players. Quick with his hands and never gets caught holding-the-ball. Even Baulderstone can't shift him when he plants himself under the ball. Despite his size, knows where to run on the field to be in the contest most times. The way he's performing, I hope he'll be around for another 2 seasons.

Redden is better than Baulderstone.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL