Finals matches

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Finals matches

Postby stampy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:47 pm

Is it time for the Sanfl to bite the bullet and play minor finals at the higher ranked teams home ground, the league was. Keen about 10 or so years ago but nothing ever came of it
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: Finals matches

Postby DOC » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:07 pm

No.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:16 am

No.

Tangentially, I note that the WAFL Grand Final was on yesterday, and was held at Fremantle Oval, which is the home oval of one of the combatants (South Freo). I watched a bit on 7+ late last night. Only 10.5K in the crowd and a very laid back atmosphere. It was hard to believe that the match was a premiership decider.

The game itself was low-scoring and scrappy; it had the feel of a SANFL reserves match. The first half was completely lacking in intensity (again, the suburban venue did not help). However as the match wore on and became tight the intensity rose and the match became interesting from about halfway through the third term. Worth a look if you need a footy fix.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am

Yes.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby stampy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:45 am

Pseudo wrote:No.

Tangentially, I note that the WAFL Grand Final was on yesterday, and was held at Fremantle Oval, which is the home oval of one of the combatants (South Freo). I watched a bit on 7+ late last night. Only 10.5K in the crowd and a very laid back atmosphere. It was hard to believe that the match was a premiership decider.

The game itself was low-scoring and scrappy; it had the feel of a SANFL reserves match. The first half was completely lacking in intensity (again, the suburban venue did not help). However as the match wore on and became tight the intensity rose and the match became interesting from about halfway through the third term. Worth a look if you need a footy fix.

Not the granny, minor finals
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby DOC » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:50 am

If you ask the players, to a man they want to play at AO.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby southee » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:58 am

No way.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:01 am

stampy wrote:
Pseudo wrote:No.

Not the granny, minor finals

Still no.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am

No.

SANFL Finals need to be played on the 'big stage' otherwise they become even more irrelevant to the SA footy public.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby topshelf » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:22 pm

Needs to stay at Adelaide Oval, i think this season really isn't one to judge any changes on, a lot of people are staying away with the way the ticketing works and Covid. Probably do need to look at ways to increase crowds in the future for the minor finals but what do you do? Free entry to all SANFL club members or just free entry in general, could be something to think about.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby saintal » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:56 pm

I used to fancy the idea of playing the first week at suburban grounds before shifting to AO. Would generate a terrific atmosphere and also reward the teams in 2nd and 4th spot.

There is something about walking into AO though that makes it feel like finals time however.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:18 am

saintal wrote:I used to fancy the idea of playing the first week at suburban grounds before shifting to AO. Would generate a terrific atmosphere and also reward the teams in 2nd and 4th spot.

There is something about walking into AO though that makes it feel like finals time however.

I can never get away from that point.

Even the old Football Park, once you walked into the ground the intensity lifted immediately. I don't follow an AFL team so my only attendances to these grounds for football is for Centrals so don't know if that added to the 'prestige' of it for me.

Getting all corny and shit it felt like it was part of the journey on the search for the holy grail.

Just wouldn't feel the same heading to Richmond / Noarlunga (no disrespect intended) for a second semi final or prelim.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 am

Best venue in the country so use it i say, I'm sure the players love the privilege of playing there, lots have made good points already.
Helps keep the SANFL relevant.
It sorts out the pretenders as well, you can get away with being an average side and still making finals but once you get out on the big open spaces and the warmer weather come finals time you get exposed.
Best and fittest side wins normally.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Brett » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Why would the SAFC engage in legal action over the U'18's , YES U18's, result due to allegedly having the Eagles having 19 players on the ground for a very short time.
This club has had a good handout this year to survive I believe so maybe just accept it. Hardly a money spinner for them anyway.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:32 pm

Brett wrote:Why would the SAFC engage in legal action over the U'18's , YES U18's, result due to allegedly having the Eagles having 19 players on the ground for a very short time.
This club has had a good handout this year to survive I believe so maybe just accept it. Hardly a money spinner for them anyway.

I haven't seen this reported but are the SAFC taking the SANFL to court. They must have money to burn.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby whybother » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 pm

I think that this strategy was something that the Eagles were persuaded NOT to do in 2018.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm

whybother wrote:I think that this strategy was something that the Eagles were persuaded NOT to do in 2018.

And Port decided not to do when Norwood had 19 men on the ground for quite some time in the 1982 Second Semi Final.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Board index   Football  SANFL