Northern Areas Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Northern Areas Cricket Association

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:09 am

wedgetail wrote:
whufc wrote:Spalding made it 2 from 2 with a comfortable win over Belman.

Looks like Belman will be much stronger after Christmas when they get a few back after harvest.

Early top of the table clash next week with Spalding and Orroroo playing

First time I've checked into this site for years and staggered to see the changes and teams missing/amalgamated.
Distances travelled now remind me of the trips to Dawson - what a great venue that was.
Does Booleroo still play at the high school?
Good luck to all teams involved and make sure the tradition of northern cricket continues.

This is my first year in the comp so I’m not the best to ask about where teams play.

I only just found out we play some home games at Boob.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Angler » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:19 pm

whufc wrote:
wedgetail wrote:

Looks like Belman will be much stronger after Christmas when they get a few back after harvest.

First time I've checked into this site for years and staggered to see the changes and teams missing/amalgamated.
Distances travelled now remind me of the trips to Dawson - what a great venue that was.
Good luck to all teams involved and make sure the tradition of northern cricket continues.

This is my first year in the comp so I’m not the best to ask about where teams play.

Booborowie is a good oval. The old Belalie-Mokota comp previously held association games there and not all that long ago either (maybe 12 years ago).

Changing the subject slightly, You won’t find many better opening combinations in country cricket than Burra’s Boh Wall and Sam Mattey. Both high quality players! Looks like they had a day out last Saturday!
Angler

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Angler wrote:
whufc wrote:
wedgetail wrote:

Booborowie is a good oval. The old Belalie-Mokota comp previously held association games there and not all that long ago either (maybe 12 years ago).

Changing the subject slightly, You won’t find many better opening combinations in country cricket than Burra’s Boh Wall and Sam Mattey. Both high quality players! Looks like they had a day out last Saturday!

Looking forward to playing against them.

Both Yasith and Young looked good with the bat from Belman. I hear that Jaeschke and Simpson go alright as well so when Belman have all four of them they are a tough team to beat.

Rumour has it we may have 2 x Wilsdons and 2 x Pearce's to come into the Spalding side by Christmas.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:50 pm

The bare backers are 3-0

Tough fought win against Orroroo, nice little picturesque ground.

Orroroo have a very young team with a bit of talent coming through, they will be around the mark
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Back this week and apparently Spalding have the Pearce boys back. Rumour is that is a pretty handy get for the barebackers.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Absolute belter of a top of the table clash between spalding and Burra

Chasing 128 Spalding make the runs 9 wickets down with the last partnership worth 8
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:24 am

Justin Clarke is back playing for Booleroo which should be a huge IN for them apparently.

I have never seen him play but he comes with a big reputation.
whufc
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:27 am

whufc wrote:Justin Clarke is back playing for Booleroo which should be a huge IN for them apparently.

He won’t be playing many games
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 am

Armchair expert wrote:
whufc wrote:Justin Clarke is back playing for Booleroo which should be a huge IN for them apparently.

He won’t be playing many games

Apparently just over the Christmas new year period so maybe 3 games at most. Was meant to be more but Covid stopped that.

If he can help them get 3 wins though and build confidence it could set them up for a decent year.
whufc
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Was quite quick as a kid. Floated around state junior squads. Not sure if he made any final teams
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:

Was quite quick as a kid. Floated around state junior squads. Not sure if he made any final teams

A quick my cricket check says he hasn’t played in a fair few years
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm

The talk of playing Justin Clarke made me look up his story. Pretty incredible to be honest and sounds like a pretty inspiring human.

Now if he kills me tomorrow or hits me a few times I may not be saying that :)
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:30 am

Spalding went down for the first time this year, completely outplayed.

Whilst it was a shitter of a day for us and I bloody hate losing you couldn’t help but feel the spirit of country cricket is completely alive and well.

Highly competitive game but nothing but respect from every player on the park, the booleroo boys deserved the win on the back of a strong performance from Clarkey. They struggle to get a team each week but travel the hundreds of kilometres and give it a red hot crack each week and always enjoy a few beers after the game win or lose. Great reward for the guys, very well deserved.

A lot of improvement needed by spalding but was a great day out at a beautiful little venue in a great town

Ps Clarke is one of those annoying good at everything types but also a really good bloke operator. Loved competing against him but glad to see the back of him, his to good for this old boy
whufc
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 am

What is the mix of ages like in the competition @whufc?

I know some country cricketers who've said in their area they have 40+ and even 50+ yo blokes rolling out to keep the teams going plus some kids 13-14, often their sons.

Not many 20 or 30 year olds
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby whufc » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:59 am

Tony Clifton wrote:What is the mix of ages like in the competition @whufc?

I know some country cricketers who've said in their area they have 40+ and even 50+ yo blokes rolling out to keep the teams going plus some kids 13-14, often their sons.

Not many 20 or 30 year olds

So in our team I’m the old boy at 38 along with Steven Tohl

The other 8-9 blokes we use are 21-26 who all are a locals who love BSR and Spalding and then we have a couple of 15-18 year old

Booleroo on the weekend had a 50/50 split of over 35 under 25

Orroroo are very young, they had were playing a lot of potentially talented colts. They would have had 5 kids under 16-20.

Burrra were an older side all around that 28-35 minus their gun Sam Mattey

You do still get the odd 50 year old especially to away games. What I’ve noticed up here is each club almost has their full strength home team and then their make shift away team. Away wins are like gold

From my time in Stanley that was a higher standard than Northern Areas but definitely a 35-45 year old comp with a few scattered 21-25 year old guns
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am

Top 5 tightening up with all spots up for grabs and no certainties. Probably the most certain bet is Burra to finish top 2. Looks as if a few teams will be forfeiting against them on the run home. This could hurt them though as they enter finals.

Big top 3 clash this week between Spalding and Orroroo. Last time they met was a pretty close outing. Orrorro have a very good and fairly young side. This time though Spalding should have the big man Tohl.
whufc
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm

whufc wrote:Top 5 tightening up with all spots up for grabs and no certainties. Probably the most certain bet is Burra to finish top 2. Looks as if a few teams will be forfeiting against them on the run home. This could hurt them though as they enter finals.

Big top 3 clash this week between Spalding and Orroroo. Last time they met was a pretty close outing. Orrorro have a very good and fairly young side. This time though Spalding should have the big man Tohl.

Why do teams forfeit against burra? Is it the Large travel time?
Do you think a team like burra and maybe even Spalding to an extent would be better off in the Stanley association looking long term?
BPlumber
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 pm

BPlumber wrote:
whufc wrote:Top 5 tightening up with all spots up for grabs and no certainties. Probably the most certain bet is Burra to finish top 2. Looks as if a few teams will be forfeiting against them on the run home. This could hurt them though as they enter finals.

Who do teams forfeit against burra? Is it the Large travel time?
Do you think a team like burra and maybe even Spalding to an extent would be better off in the Stanley association looking long term?

Combination of Burra traditional being the strongest team in the comp with two of the top 3 bats in the comp. Burra play to the line every week and are by far the most serious in the comp plus they are the furthest south team (not that there is anything wrong with that)

When I played in Stanley I couldn't understand why Burra or Spalding wouldn't want to be in the Stanley comp. I cant really speak on Burra's behalf but for some reason unbeknown to me Spalding have no interest in playing in Stanley. I think they like the 40 over format, probably about an hour less game time, they definitely like the extra games in a season, obviously though Stanley would have more game if it had more teams.

What makes it even stranger is we have about 6 guys who drive up from Adelaide every week, obviously Stanley would be less driving for them.

I guess you could question whether teams like being a big fish in a big pond but traditionally Spalding have been awful so I don't think it so much that. Maybe at one point they thought they would be completely uncompetitive in Stanley, especially when they were winning spoons in the Northern Areas. Personally I think the current Spalding side would probably sit 4th-5th in Stanley.

Ill gently ask the question on the weekend why??
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:19 am

I asked the question at training tonight about why they play in Northern Areas.

Put simply they love the comp, they love the extra games they get to play, the really enjoy the 40 over format, they love the teams they play against, they don't mind the road trips and in particular the road trips back.

Ultimately they have never felt a need to leave the comp more than anything else.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:40 am

Classic top of the table clash at Spalding.

Once again a lush oval saw a low scoring close affair.

Spalding batted first and was all out for 90, was probably about a 120 normally and 30 under par. Orroroo started their run chase losing a wicket in the first over. They probably lacked the patience required and Spalding bowled them all out for 68 to remain top.

Orroroo have a great bunch of young lads, in particular young bowlers who in a couple of years will be very tough to beat. They will learn a lot from that loss no doubt.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps