BBL 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: BBL 2020/21

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm

How does Matt Short continue to get a game for the Strikers?? He must have pictures of Dizzy or something! Tim Nielsen keeps giving him a contract year after year and can remember him playing one good game in all that time :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:How does Matt Short continue to get a game for the Strikers?? He must have pictures of Dizzy or something! Tim Nielsen keeps giving him a contract year after year and can remember him playing one good game in all that time :shock:

Given Cooper and Ferg are not just playing but captaining (due to injuries I know) other sides it must mean the standard is clearly down on previous years.
There are some real ordinary players getting a game in this format.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Kahuna » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:21 pm

I think I just saw the worst 2 LBW decisions in the history of cricket in the same over.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Kahuna wrote:I think I just saw the worst 2 LBW decisions in the history of cricket in the same over.

Absolutely terrible decision, both of them!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:25 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Kahuna wrote:I think I just saw the worst 2 LBW decisions in the history of cricket in the same over.

Comedy gold .... where do they find these guys?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:27 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

What odds the DRS is brought in before the season is over!

They use the cost as the reason why, but really they just need a basic one. It was initially brought in for the howlers, but is now used for everything. For BBL, you can quickly see when theses regular howlers are made, the third umpire just makes a quick decision and reverses it. Pretty simple.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Comedy gold .... where do they find these guys?

I’m not sure which one was worse.
Probably the first one as it was plumb.
The 2nd one I can see how he thought it was out(minus the bat).
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:31 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:How does Matt Short continue to get a game for the Strikers?? He must have pictures of Dizzy or something! Tim Nielsen keeps giving him a contract year after year and can remember him playing one good game in all that time :shock:

Given Cooper and Ferg are not just playing but captaining (due to injuries I know) other sides it must mean the standard is clearly down on previous years.

Short got a stinker, but was still way too slow. Apart from Rashid, who is bit hit and miss, we have nobody who can come in and clear the fence. Having Worrall at Number 8 shows how bad we are, he is a genuine Number 10/11 (besides his one off 65 the other night).

Sydney Thunder have guys like Cutting and Sams who can hit quick 30 off 10 balls, we have absolute spuds.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Short got a stinker, but was still way too slow. Apart from Rashid, who is bit hit and miss, we have nobody who can come in and clear the fence. Having Worrall at Number 8 shows how bad we are, he is a genuine Number 10/11 (besides his one off 65 the other night).

Sydney Thunder have guys like Cutting and Sams who can hit quick 30 off 10 balls, we have absolute spuds.

Strikers have Neser, who is handy .... when available
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:56 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

All comes down to the slary cap, Short would be happy to be playing for a few bread crumbs. We are obviously spending too much on the likes of Salt and Renshaw. Rashid would also be one of the highest paid in the league. We also arent the only team to have crap players between 5 and 8.
Im not sure how the salary cap works with regards to players like Head and Neser who are contracted but not participating?
1.9m is the cap between 8 clubs, 15.2m total. Split that between 6 and it goes up to 2.5m, would it make a difference in bringing better O/S players? i dont know. If we go back to 6 would a player like Sams have been discovered?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Spargo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Sutherland’s bowling resembling something like Simon Eishold’s goal kicking efforts in the 1987 VFL Preliminary Final...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 am

What's the biggest concern with BBL at the moment? Is it the depth of players dropping away? The length of the season? The timing?

For me, the biggest concern is that all domestic cricket goes on standstill whilst it's on. Three years in a row now we have seen questions raised around the test batting performances and/or potential replacements, and those in the wings are either playing BBL or not playing at all, with no red ball cricket for a couple months.

I would like to see Shield cricket still being playing during the test series, and i would be comfortable seeing the BBL transition to a more "amateur" competition - load up with grade cricket talent, top up with a couple of imports, and whoever is not selected for SS matches.

Space out the SS matches so that the players still have an opportunity to participate in BBL as well when games aren't on.

Heck i'd even be happy to see the BBL season run longer if it had to and space out games - maybe start the season during term 3 school holidays, then schedule matches on weekend evenings.

Whatever the setup, we need to have our state players playing red ball during this period.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 am

The Bedge wrote:What's the biggest concern with BBL at the moment? Is it the depth of players dropping away? The length of the season? The timing?

For me, the biggest concern is that all domestic cricket goes on standstill whilst it's on. Three years in a row now we have seen questions raised around the test batting performances and/or potential replacements, and those in the wings are either playing BBL or not playing at all, with no red ball cricket for a couple months.

I would like to see Shield cricket still being playing during the test series, and i would be comfortable seeing the BBL transition to a more "amateur" competition - load up with grade cricket talent, top up with a couple of imports, and whoever is not selected for SS matches.

Space out the SS matches so that the players still have an opportunity to participate in BBL as well when games aren't on.

Heck i'd even be happy to see the BBL season run longer if it had to and space out games - maybe start the season during term 3 school holidays, then schedule matches on weekend evenings.

Whatever the setup, we need to have our state players playing red ball during this period.

Sadly its clear the existence of the BBL is to line Cricket Australia's pockets, even at the expense of the national test teams performances.

I get they want the season to be played during the Christmas Holidays as its the biggest opportunity for larger crowds, bigger tv audiences but for mine the BBL season should end the cricket season. Accepting the fact there has to be a place for international T20 and ODI I would love an Australia summer to look something like.

INTERNATIONAL SERIES
INT ODI Series- November (5-7 Games all played in 2 weeks)
Test Series- Late November - New Years Test 1st week of January
INT T20 Series- January (5-7 games, one played in each state)

DOMESTIC COMPS
Domestic One Day Marsh Cup September - October (all played in one state, each team plays five games & top 2 into a final, forms selection for November ODI's, its not ideal but lets not kids ourselves One Day cricket is the lesser of all 3 formats)

Sheffield Shield- start of October to mid January (Potentially the shield final is played the week after the January New Years Test)

Big Bash Bash- All of February.

Games on every night of the week. (Yes i know this is during school terms but the AFL has shown if you have a product people want they will come whether that's Thursday night or Monday night. Spread evenly each teams ability to have prime Friday/Saturday/Sunday games vs Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday)

By having at the end of the season with no other cricket potentially the big gun Australians will play which will automatically attract crowds through the doors. Even if the Aussie players have a two break from say a INT T20 on January 30 and they join the BBL mid month.

Make the BBL Grand Final the final showpiece of the cricket season.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2528 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:35 am

IMO the BBL should be the marketing/recruitment tool to get kids interested in playing cricket - no value in February as most seasons wind up.. you want kids watching early in the cricket season, getting that itch and heading out to a local club.

Who knows.. surely all formats could co-exist at the same time?

Fact is, our best cricketers need to be playing longer formats around the same time as the tests - so those out of form can go back for a decent hit, and those in form can push for selection.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:41 am

The Bedge wrote:IMO the BBL should be the marketing/recruitment tool to get kids interested in playing cricket - no value in February as most seasons wind up.. you want kids watching early in the cricket season, getting that itch and heading out to a local club.

Who knows.. surely all formats could co-exist at the same time?

Fact is, our best cricketers need to be playing longer formats around the same time as the tests - so those out of form can go back for a decent hit, and those in form can push for selection.

yeah I could handle in my proposal the BBL and One Day comps times moving around. Have the BBL in October and the ODI's in February.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2528 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:26 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

What odds the DRS is brought in before the season is over!

They use the cost as the reason why, but really they just need a basic one. It was initially brought in for the howlers, but is now used for everything. For BBL, you can quickly see when theses regular howlers are made, the third umpire just makes a quick decision and reverses it. Pretty simple.

Give it 5 or so years and umpires will be non existant and it will all be DRS or something similar

I am over umpires to be honest, batsman being run out by 2 or 3 metres and decision being referred to the the third ump. These guys are taking money on false pretences these days, FFS they dont even hold the bowlers cap anymore :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:59 pm

Adelaide 2/18 after 3. Poor start
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:21 pm

Strikers 9/146 (20)

Carey 82 (59)
Jhye 3/19 (4)
RustyCage

Postby am Bays » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:17 pm

This Inglis goes all right
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:25 pm

Strikers could have done worse I guess....
RustyCage

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket