CDFC 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: CDFC 2021

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 am

Happy to concede ins and outs don't always tell a picture of how a season will go. You cant measure what individual improvement you will see from the current crop of players.

But if you were an SANFL pundit giving us a grade for our off season we get a flat out F maybe at kindest a D.

This is hardly the type of off season that is going to see people lining up to take out memberships.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens at the club if we get off to a horrible start giving the club talked about on field results being a big reason Andrews is gone, as well as Thommo talking top 3.

Personally I think we have done a 'Crows' and grossly over-estimated the talent on our list.

Would love nothing more than to be wrong and see Thommo become the Elizabeth Miracle Man.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:15 am

I remember 1999 with Jonas at the helm, we finished 7th, then we recruited nobodys, the rest is history.
We've recruited a lot more than returning players, we've recruited,
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,
I think there's 1 or 2 more but I can't recall their names right now.
We've lost some players in the twilight of their careers, some B Grade players who were struggling to make the league side plus some players with susceptible fitness,
As has been pointed out, we have some extremely promising lads in the reserves who WILL step up under Thommo, they now WANT to play league.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:53 am

gazzamagoo wrote:We've lost some players in the twilight of their careers, some B Grade players who were struggling to make the league side plus some players with susceptible fitness,
As has been pointed out, we have some extremely promising lads in the reserves who WILL step up under Thommo, they now WANT to play league.

Reads like every Glenelg supporter's thoughts from 1994 to 2018...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby TDJ44 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:15 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:I remember 1999 with Jonas at the helm, we finished 7th, then we recruited nobodys, the rest is history.
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,
We've lost some players in the twilight of their careers, some B Grade players who were struggling to make the league side plus some players with susceptible fitness,

Sorry Gaz but our recruiting is poor.
Us regulars will go,not many other dogs supporters will turn up to see what we have left running around.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:44 pm

May have been posted. Boyd staying at Centrals.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:56 am

TDJ44 wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:I remember 1999 with Jonas at the helm, we finished 7th, then we recruited nobodys, the rest is history.
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,

Us regulars will go,not many other dogs supporters will turn up to see what we have left running around.

How fn deluded are you if you think its any better than a shit show. Templeton should stregthen our reserves, **** me
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 am

TDJ44 wrote:
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,

We had one kid that was not bad, finally got on the park with 2 years in the country, he's now out at Nth Adelaide, will play league this year
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:29 am

Who is that Days??
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:38 am

daysofourlives wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,

How fn deluded are you if you think its any better than a shit show. Templeton should stregthen our reserves, **** me

Harsh but not completely unfair in my opinion.

I honestly believe we will go backwards this year but am optimistic that Thommo can get the best of our some of our current crop and many young players show natural improvement. I would love to be wrong.

The club has been full of too hard excuses on pretty much every aspect of the club including recruiting, finding sponsors, growing memberships. If this year all goes to shit on the back of poor recruiting, Templeton and Hill dont work out, Neagle is no better than when he first came over, new interstate recruits end up being good reserve players I honestly don't believe anyone will be held responsible.

The boys club is in full swing at the club, we have seen the assistant coaches are untouchable, we now have our favourite son coaching. I can see the results this year making or breaking this footy club. If we can go on and make finals the club will be full of momentum and Thommo could be the man, if things go to shit we could be in a lot of trouble for the next 10-15 years as I just cant see any changes being made.
whufc
Coach

Postby beef » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:29 am

daysofourlives wrote:
TDJ44 wrote:
Coff,
Grace,
Neagle (returning),
Hill (returning),
Templeton (returning),
Grant,
Morton,

We had one kid that was not bad, finally got on the park with 2 years in the country, he's now out at Nth Adelaide, will play league this year

Still got some work to do to play league but could be on the mark
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby bullydog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 am

the fish rots from the head, central has been on the slide since Roy refused to accept help from premiership players. slade went to north the gowans weren't wanted nor was buckets mckenzie. who else thinks kris grant has been there too long?he has way to much power, I'm not sure if he still sits on the match committee but if he does, why? he's the CEO and should not be selecting teams. time for a big clean out because this club is just going through the paces like it did before the premierships.
bullydog
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 am

bullydog wrote:the fish rots from the head, central has been on the slide since Roy refused to accept help from premiership players. slade went to north the gowans weren't wanted nor was buckets mckenzie. who else thinks kris grant has been there too long?he has way to much power, I'm not sure if he still sits on the match committee but if he does, why? he's the CEO and should not be selecting teams. time for a big clean out because this club is just going through the paces like it did before the premierships.

Not sure how factual some of the above is. Buckets, helped out as ruck coach for much of Roys reign. I remember Chris Gowans being runner at stages. Adam Switala, Luke McCabe, Richie Cochrane are players I recall having roles at the club. One minute it's a boys club next it's not enough past player participation. Players often take on roles at other clubs -Rick McGowan coached at Sturt and I think the Eagles.
Our biggest problem is not being able to get employment for recruits to "help" with the significantly reduced salary cap. Can't compete with the likes of Norwood that can attract players like Bastinac, Douglas and get Puopolo back.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Postby bullydog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:14 am

who were the past players that helped roy and I mean premiership players that helped aside from gowans as runner for one year? I don't recall buckets helping out for more than a couple of sessions just after he retired. I could be wrong but I doubt it. switala and those you mentioned are no where to be seen, apart from richie for years. I hope it changes now thomo is coach . to have a great club you need to fall back on past champions just like port did before the power came along. we have now fallen back into old ways and won't improve without changes.question do you think Kris Grant has been there too long?
bullydog
Mini-League

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:31 am

bullydog wrote:who were the past players that helped roy and I mean premiership players that helped aside from gowans as runner for one year? I don't recall buckets helping out for more than a couple of sessions just after he retired. I could be wrong but I doubt it. switala and those you mentioned are no where to be seen, apart from richie for years. I hope it changes now thomo is coach . to have a great club you need to fall back on past champions just like port did before the power came along. we have now fallen back into old ways and won't improve without changes.question do you think Kris Grant has been there too long?

Plenty of examples where falling back on past champions has worked and when it hasn't. I recall Port sacking Russell Ebert as coach and the protests at the Lighthouse. I think Kris would have retired weren't it not for COVID. I don't think Kris is the problem (funds, jobs for recruiting is the current issue) and wouldn't be too fussed if he stayed or retired if we have someone that can do the role as well as he has. It would be great if Kris had sponsors that would pay for social clubrooms being built etc. but he has to do it tougher than many with more limited resources.
At least he was never there as a means to further his profile and managerial aspirations in the AFL.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Postby bullydog » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 pm

I'm not saying all past players make good coaches Barrie Robran is a perfect example of that, I'm saying past players can pass on knowledge of the game to current players and our past premiership players could do that. as for covid the club would have survived with or without Kris grant, he has done a great job for the club over the years but everything or person has a use by date and I think the club needs change from the top. when we won all the flags we had adopted the club ethos of Port adelaide and it worked and that was exist to win premierships. to me we are now just in survival mode and just exist to play games. I have no doubt officials will say BS but that's how I see it.
bullydog
Mini-League

Postby Information HWY » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:07 pm

+1 to the notion that Kris Grant has been in the role for too long (he's a great bloke, but is so far past the expiry date)

bullydog wrote:who were the past players that helped roy and I mean premiership players that helped aside from gowans as runner for one year? I don't recall buckets helping out for more than a couple of sessions just after he retired. I could be wrong but I doubt it. switala and those you mentioned are no where to be seen, apart from richie for years. I hope it changes now thomo is coach . to have a great club you need to fall back on past champions just like port did before the power came along. we have now fallen back into old ways and won't improve without changes.question do you think Kris Grant has been there too long?
Information HWY
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:31 pm

In what will hopefully be music to the ears of supporters, the club has recruited Keilor player Billy Idol, er Billy Eilish, naw it is Billy Iles. This is in addition to the sweet sounds of Amazing (Aiden) Grace. Billy is a young back pocket player who made the Eastern Districts team of the year for 2019.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:34 pm

How long has Grant been in charge?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mots02 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:56 pm

Booney wrote:How long has Grant been in charge?

Since Abe Simpson set his toaster to 3.

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:13 pm

Booney wrote:How long has Grant been in charge?

Since Ebert kicked 3 in the last qtr of the GF after Cahill moved him out of the guts and away from Holsty.

If only Marker could’ve played that game....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL