Grumpy old man post

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Grumpy old man post

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 am

Adam White
@White_Adam

I sat my under 10 kids down for a chat tonight at training so they could ask any cricket questions they liked. The first two questions were about how to hit reverse sweeps. I immediately shut down the Q&A session, we got out our bats and worked on our cover drives.

See!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 am

Booney wrote:Adam White
@White_Adam

I sat my under 10 kids down for a chat tonight at training so they could ask any cricket questions they liked. The first two questions were about how to hit reverse sweeps. I immediately shut down the Q&A session, we got out our bats and worked on our cover drives.

See!

Hi Walter.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:08 am

Yeah I hate the new found trend in reverse sweeping, seeing a lot more country cricketers try it as well.

Not that it is an effective shot at country level, im yet to see anyone hit a run from it but I really think it goes against the spirit of the game, especially given cricket is meant to be the gentlemen game.

Any coach worth their salt will ensure they teach kids a solid foundation and that starts with a good defence. I do like the modern day philosophy around letting natural techniques flourish. Whilst it would be nice if we all had the perfect technique as long as we get into a good position at the time of contact with the ball it really doesn't matter how you get there. I like Steven Smith's theory in that everything he does before hitting the ball is about feeling comfy, he feels comfy, he feels confident, he feels confident his feet move and his positive.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:26 am

Been watching u14 cricket all summer and have not seen one reverse sweep, that includes a T20 comp.

However have seen plenty of shouldering arms, Steve Smith style with a loud "no run", I found it more unusual as u14's never used to leave any delivery :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:27 am

Dutchy wrote:Been watching u14 cricket all summer and have not seen one reverse sweep, that includes a T20 comp.

However have seen plenty of shouldering arms, Steve Smith style with a loud "no run", I found it more unusual as u14's never used to leave any delivery :lol:

Now, just a reminder lads, when you leave it there's no need to scream "NO RUN" as the bloke at the other end CAN F*CKING SEE YOU LEFT IT!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am

Dutchy wrote:Been watching u14 cricket all summer and have not seen one reverse sweep, that includes a T20 comp.

LOL absolutely. Even the off pitch no balls get chased 5 feet across to get a swing at it.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:54 pm

My office is located on the Clare Oval and has the perfect view to the centre of the ground.

Currently some form of inter school cricket competition going on, would have to be year 6-7 (10-12)

The batting standard is great, one kid in particular gets some serious ping off the bat an is only very small in stature. No reverse sweeps / ramps / switch hits in site.

Got to say though the bowling standard is horrendous. Not sure an over has gone by without at least one wide minimum. Plenty of weird and wonderful actions getting around as well, which im not sure are working for them. Interestingly no spinners in either innings as well.

Kids are full of excitement and bouncing around in the field, celebrating each wicket with pure glee.

Good to watch
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am

FMD...

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:24 am

For once i think Warner is right.......

The only reason test cricket is surviving for the smaller nations is due to the money T20 brings in to fund it......the double edge sword is the money t20 brings in means t20 cricket is going to be extremely valuable to players wages.

I put it in my prediction thread but i don't think there will be much more than 3 nations playing test cricket by 2035.

Unless the ICC or the big nations somehow create a test cricket fund im not sure the small countries will have the players to be competitive
whufc
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:05 am

Booney wrote:FMD...

We all know it's not scaredness. It's scardidity!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:57 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Booney wrote:FMD...

We all know it's not scaredness. It's scardidity!

Or scaredicatness

Or maybe just fear

He really is a knob
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket