2021 AFL season - Round 1, tips & banter

Talk on the national game

Re: 2021 AFL season - Round 1, tips & banter

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 pm

We have literally followed all the rules and gave up picks to get our own academy players. Brisbane, Gold Coast and gws all have academies but they aren’t a problem are they?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:53 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:We have literally followed all the rules and gave up picks to get our own academy players. Brisbane, Gold Coast and gws all have academies but they aren’t a problem are they?

They are 100% rorts as well

For a league that screams for “equality” it’s extremely bullshit that some select clubs get to funnel all the good junior players into their footy program so they can train, learn and go into the draft knowing exactly what they are going to get while other clubs are to an extent taking risks with their selections.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 am

Armchair expert wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:We have literally followed all the rules and gave up picks to get our own academy players. Brisbane, Gold Coast and gws all have academies but they aren’t a problem are they?

For a league that screams for “equality” it’s extremely bullshit that some select clubs get to funnel all the good junior players into their footy program so they can train, learn and go into the draft knowing exactly what they are going to get while other clubs are to an extent taking risks with their selections.

All I hear is waa waa waa

We give up draft picks to get players we trained. Massive Rort.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:10 am

Armchair expert wrote:

I reckon the Bulldogs just landed a handy Academy type.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:15 am

Armchair expert wrote:

I tell you what, even up the father-son rulings and the non-Victorian clubs can start to roll back their academies, deal?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:30 am

The interstate academies give those teams a ridiculous advantage.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:32 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The interstate academies give those teams a ridiculous advantage.

Non-Victorian*

Sorry, what have I missed? Any club can pick any player in the draft and it's up to the club with access to the academy player to match the bid, isn't it?

Ultimately they pay market value for the player, don't they?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:16 am

The Victorian teams have the biggest advantage with far less travel, biased draws, rule changes at their suggestion, guaranteed pathways into AFL employment after playing, lenient drug testing, multiple AFL maintained grounds, an entire competition funded at under age level for their benefit, biased father son rules, adoption of former VFL history to ensure a far greater emphasis on Victorian achievements so that Ebert, Robran, Stephen Michael etc. are regarded as who?, an indoor stadium to stop the rain and I could go on.

They have turned our game of Australian Rules Football (known as footy or the football) into AFL as in I went to see my kids play AFL on the weekend for their school and to top it off they get subsidised beer and pies.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:14 am

Booney wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:

I tell you what, even up the father-son rulings and the non-Victorian clubs can start to roll back their academies, deal?

Father-son is fair to everyone apart from gws/gc

that will fix itself over time
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:27 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Father-son is fair to everyone apart from gws/gc

that will fix itself over time

It's what now?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby beef » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The interstate academies give those teams a ridiculous advantage.

Non-Victorian*

Sorry, what have I missed? Any club can pick any player in the draft and it's up to the club with access to the academy player to match the bid, isn't it?

Ultimately they pay market value for the player, don't they?

Hagan's market value was pick 1.
They didnt pay market value no matter how many fantasy points pick 50 & 39& 21 or whatever it was equals.
Will never be completely even until its just a draft and you go where you're picked, no father/son no academy no zone selections
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:33 pm

For me where it goes astray is the points system. Cobbling together 6 picks in the 50’s or whatever should never equate to the same value as a top 10 pick.
JUH was always going to go number 1 so the Dogs probably should have been forced to cough up this years or next years first as a minimum
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Jim05 wrote:For me where it goes astray is the points system. Cobbling together 6 picks in the 50’s or whatever should never equate to the same value as a top 10 pick.
JUH was always going to go number 1 so the Dogs probably should have been forced to cough up this years or next years first as a minimum

Picks 42, 48, 54 and 63 etc don't equate to pick 1, I agree, but it does mean the Bulldogs had to trade picks in and out to get to the point where they could use 4 picks to match the bid at 1. So other clubs benefited from the Bulldogs trading down by perhaps getting pick 23 for picks 48 and 63 so swings and roundabouts.

The Bulldogs get Ugle-Hagan at 1 and Bedendo at 55 after going in with picks 29, 33, 41, 42, 52, 54.

I like the system, much fairer than the Victorian based clubs who Father-son kicks in at 100 games, the WA clubs 150 games the SA clubs 200 games ( with caveats ). Bullshit that is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:06 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:For me where it goes astray is the points system. Cobbling together 6 picks in the 50’s or whatever should never equate to the same value as a top 10 pick.

Picks 42, 48, 54 and 63 etc don't equate to pick 1, I agree, but it does mean the Bulldogs had to trade picks in and out to get to the point where they could use 4 picks to match the bid at 1. So other clubs benefited from the Bulldogs trading down by perhaps getting pick 23 for picks 48 and 63 so swings and roundabouts.

The Bulldogs get Ugle-Hagan at 1 and Bedendo at 55 after going in with picks 29, 33, 41, 42, 52, 54.

I like the system, much fairer than the Victorian based clubs who Father-son kicks in at 100 games, the WA clubs 150 games the SA clubs 200 games ( with caveats ). Bullshit that is.

I didn't realise WA had less games than SA for father son eligibility.
I still don't get why the Vic's think the vfl was twice as good as the sanfl?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:

That's one of those rule no matter what way you try and spin it it absolutely makes no sense and is clear vic bias that father son is less games.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:14 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:

They don't but the 2 SA AFL sides get 4 sides kids to choose from (with a pool of 10 teams of dads).
WA have less and the Vic clubs only have 1 hence the equation.
It all works out pretty even mathematically, just comes down to pot luck with which pool of dads produces the best kids.
Must be something good in the water down at Geelong thank christ/ablett. ;)
Come to think of it, besides the footy and drinking there's nothing else to do at Geelong besides root so we get an advantage there. 8)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:22 pm

Wedgie wrote:They don't but the 2 SA AFL sides get 4 sides kids to choose from (with a pool of 10 teams of dads).

The WA AFL teams have 4 WAFL clubs aligned to each of the clubs.

Adelaide have 4 clubs aligned to them.

Port have Port Adelaide Football Club and other 4 clubs aligned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They don't but the 2 SA AFL sides get 4 sides kids to choose from (with a pool of 10 teams of dads).

The WA AFL teams have 4 WAFL clubs aligned to each of the clubs.

Adelaide have 4 clubs aligned to them.

Port have Port Adelaide Football Club and other 4 clubs aligned.

Port actually have 6 in total (Woodville, Torrens, Central, West, North and the now defunct original PAFC) while the Crows have South, Glenelg, Norwood and Sturt.
I assume Port also have the current day Eagles making it 7 too?
Seems a bit lopsided or maybe it takes into account the shallow gene pool down the Port and west and north of town. :lol:
(PS Just kidding, I'm sure it has to do with the pre 90 for the Crows and 97 for Port and mathematically is around the mark)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 pm

The Port Adelaide Football Club has access to Port Adelaide Football Club Father-Son eligible players because it's the same club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:The Port Adelaide Football Club has access to Port Adelaide Football Club Father-Son eligible players because it's the same club.

True, forgot about the Power, make it 8 clubs! :shock:
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL