Round 1

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 1

Postby Spargo » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:24 pm

DOC wrote:101st season and 102 years old next month.

Don’t go there.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:01 am

Spargo wrote:
DOC wrote:101st season and 102 years old next month.

Don’t go there.

should have celebrated last season?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Groucho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:26 pm

saintal wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:South dudded again.
After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:

Bullseye.

You can play North and Centrals won't play Good Friday. Even better solution.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Columbo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:16 pm

robranisgod wrote:
RB wrote:I don't reckon there's been an SANFL game on Easter Monday in 25 years+. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.)

I assume because they like generally to schedule a couple on Thursday night, and more recently Friday, and it throws the fixture for next week out of whack if you've got big discrepancies between teams in terms of days since last match.

Easter Sunday is a terribly bad day for footy so I understand why they give that one a miss. Am a bit surprised they didn't schedule one on the Saturday.

I think that the last Easter Monday matches were in 1987 when a double header was held at Footy Park.
Despite Oakbank being in its prime, Easter Monday footy crowds had been excellent up to that time so I don't know why they stopped.
There was a lot of strange programming back then.
The traditional Anzac Day Grand Finallist rematch was stopped for a number of years in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Sturt vs Eagles at Unley in 2016 was on Easter Monday. Crowd of 3,386, Eagles home by 39 points.
(thanks Spell Check for the confirmation)
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby stampy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:51 pm

After being the first club in Australia to have a crack at Good Friday Footy, and making a success of it , its fair to say we've drawn "the Crow "!
The game which sees us playing The Crows, will as per usual be a financial disaster for the club-its barely worth opening the gates.
The crows have very little or no support at SANFL level; and those few that do attend will drive in seated in their Toyota Camrys, bring their own Thermos of tea, a knee rug and Apricot slices, and spend zero at our food outlets.
A far better option would have been South playing Glenelg, which was the original Good Friday fixture which proved to be very well attended in the past. Also with former Glenelg favourite son Bryce Gibbs donning the Navy Blue and White it may have added a little more spice to the game. :roll:

wasnt the first gf game souf v strut?
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 pm

stampy wrote:

wasnt the first gf game souf v strut?

Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:26 pm

When I last checked the score in the Reserves, South were 3 goals up but looks like we have kicked the next 10
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3535 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Spargo wrote:Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

I would say the players would be very keen on it so they can still enjoy 3 days off over the weekend.
Anything that doesnt discourage players from having a crack at SANFL is fine by me. Bugger the supporters
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:Excuse my ignorance, why are we playing 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday, Sunday or Monday?

I would say the players would be very keen on it so they can still enjoy 3 days off over the weekend.
Anything that doesnt discourage players from having a crack at SANFL is fine by me. Bugger the supporters

Best day for the supporters too so win/win!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL