R2 Port v Centrals Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R2 Port v Centrals Saturday 1410

Postby wedgetail » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
DOC wrote:"we could always do what the Eagles do and arrange 'employment' for them through a job agency so we don't have to include them under the salary cap..

Every club including yours does this. Nothing illegal or even wrong with this.

True, there isn't; I never said there was. Unfortunately, though, we don't have a job agency as a major sponsor and have a lot of trouble finding employment for players. We have missed out on a number of recruits in the past few seasons as a result. I also know that at least one club the recruits have never spent a day working for their 'employer'; they possibly don't even know who their employer who pays them actually is. This is what I find a bit unethical.
Cheers

Gowans were the best paid 'chippies' in Sth Aust. All clubs bend the rules including yours.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Alex » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:21 pm

Dogs will win this one by around 25.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am

Alex wrote:Dogs will win this one by around 25.

Surely you need to see who plays for the Power Ressies before making a tip?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby ferret » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am

DOC wrote:"we could always do what the Eagles do and arrange 'employment' for them through a job agency so we don't have to include them under the salary cap..

This is absolutely cow droppings. The Eagles players are just entitled to have a job just like any other player in the SANFL. They attend, perform their work and get paid. They do not get paid illegally. Because a sponsor puts them in touch with a potential employer it is not unethical, it's a common practice. They get their normal match payments. In fact North Adelaide and Norwood were prepared to pay considerably more for the Mutch brothers than the Eagles. Don't waste your time on crap.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 am

Which is why I said nothing illegal or wrong.

I was quoting another poster hence the " "

The Mutch brothers through an Adelaide contact went also to South and Glenelg. I have no doubt you offered them the most.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 am

ferret wrote:

This is absolutely cow droppings. The Eagles players are just entitled to have a job just like any other player in the SANFL. They attend, perform their work and get paid. They do not get paid illegally. Because a sponsor puts them in touch with a potential employer it is not unethical, it's a common practice. They get their normal match payments. In fact North Adelaide and Norwood were prepared to pay considerably more for the Mutch brothers than the Eagles. Don't waste your time on crap.

I would say its extremely intelligent to have an employment agency as a major sponsor. We all know employment is as big a factor as any other for why a player picks a club. If you can improve your ability get players employment you would be stupid not to.

I strongly believe one of the major reasons for Centrals downfall has been our lack of ability to get appropriate employment for potential recruits.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am

Yep it's very difficult. Made harder by the fact that most have little or no skills (not a criticism just a fact of young blokes starting out) and employers are shy (at times) to put people on without it helping their business. Can't blame them.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am

DOC wrote:Yep it's very difficult. Made harder by the fact that most have little or no skills (not a criticism just a fact of young blokes starting out) and employers are shy (at times) to put people on without it helping their business. Can't blame them.

Absolutely back in the day Centrals had a strong relationship with the Aquadome. It was a great relationship as personal training/health and fitness industry was a great way for a lot of these young lads to get employment. There was also the added bonus of the uni students being able to complete customer service type roles which fitted into uni well. The business gained the profile of having 'SANFL footballers' as part of their workforce.

I believe that relationship isn't very strong these days for one reason or another.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:51 am

whufc wrote:
DOC wrote:Yep it's very difficult. Made harder by the fact that most have little or no skills (not a criticism just a fact of young blokes starting out) and employers are shy (at times) to put people on without it helping their business. Can't blame them.

Absolutely back in the day Centrals had a strong relationship with the Aquadome. It was a great relationship as personal training/health and fitness industry was a great way for a lot of these young lads to get employment. There was also the added bonus of the uni students being able to complete customer service type roles which fitted into uni well. The business gained the profile of having 'SANFL footballers' as part of their workforce.

I believe that relationship isn't very strong these days for one reason or another.

might have had something to do with the little weirdo that worked there, scared everyone off :D :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:52 am

Because employers employ through...........employment agencies.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby goddy11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:12 am

I think I heard last night SPP is back training at PA. Could he be an in on the Weekend.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Pseudo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:54 pm

DOC wrote:Which is why I said nothing illegal or wrong.

The Mutch brothers through an Adelaide contact went also to South and Glenelg. I have no doubt you offered them the most.

You're saying the Eagles offered mutch more?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Pseudo wrote:

I heard they offered Mutch & Mutch much, MUCH more!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby goddy11 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

There's too Mutch chatter on here about this.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Mutch Ado about Nothing I'd think.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:27 pm

goddy11 wrote:I think I heard last night SPP is back training at PA. Could he be an in on the Weekend.

No, won't be selected this week.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:33 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Twice as Mutch
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:08 pm

wedgetail wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

True, there isn't; I never said there was. Unfortunately, though, we don't have a job agency as a major sponsor and have a lot of trouble finding employment for players. We have missed out on a number of recruits in the past few seasons as a result. I also know that at least one club the recruits have never spent a day working for their 'employer'; they possibly don't even know who their employer who pays them actually is. This is what I find a bit unethical.
Cheers

Gowans were the best paid 'chippies' in Sth Aust. All clubs bend the rules including yours.

They ran their own business; they were not actually employed by anyone. Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:12 pm

ferret wrote:

It seems irrelevant nowadays how much clubs are willing to pay players, as it is not their football income but their income from their other employer that will have the most impact. Thus, the salary cap may as well be null and void. The club that is in the best position to recruit players nowadays is the club with employers who are in the best position to offer them well-paid employment. For the sake of transparency, should we get rid of the salary cap altogether?
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Alex wrote:Dogs will win this one by around 25.

Surely you need to see who plays for the Power Ressies before making a tip?

No as Rockliff was always likely to be the only material in/out.
Alex

Been liked: 16 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL