League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby whufc » Tue May 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:P.s

If the AFL gave you permission to wear the Magpie guernsey once a year in the home showdowns but you were never ever ever allowed to request and raise any further usage of the magpie guernsey under circumstances and it was 100% legally binding for the next 100 years.....would you sign the deal?
This is exactly what should happen.
The AFL and Port should sign a iron clad agreement that the PB’s can be worn once per year at Port’s home showdown and it never be mentioned again. No other special occasions or anything ever again even if heritage round returns.

I'm guessing that maybe a deal like that isn't able to get legally binded and that secondly what punishment would exist if the raising it clause was broken and what would define raising it.....

I think the biggest issue in this whole saga is the AFL lack any sort of faith in PA, their history Port have had a history of always wanting more (which isnt a bad thing) and signing what ever suits them at the time.They entered the league looking to remove themselves from the Magpie history, the club were open about that it was undeniable.

25 years on and they have made a very clear push to distance themselves from the Power and come under the moniker of PA.

They then agree to a one year deal to wear the PB only to be pushing for more within 12 months......how possibly could the AFL trust Port not continue to push for more.

It would be very interesting if it ever went to court, I know nothing about these types of laws but wouldn't be surprised if the courts sided with the Power especially given there is multiple teams wearing same colours with variations eg Carlton and Geelong are both navy blue and white, and others wearing exact designs with slightly different colours Essendon/Richmond.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 pm

whufc wrote:I think the biggest issue in this whole saga is the AFL lack any sort of faith in PA, their history Port have had a history of always wanting more (which isnt a bad thing) and signing what ever suits them at the time.They entered the league looking to remove themselves from the Magpie history, the club were open about that it was undeniable.

25 years on and they have made a very clear push to distance themselves from the Power and come under the moniker of PA. .

**** you dribble some shit
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby MW » Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I think the biggest issue in this whole saga is the AFL lack any sort of faith in PA, their history Port have had a history of always wanting more (which isnt a bad thing) and signing what ever suits them at the time.They entered the league looking to remove themselves from the Magpie history, the club were open about that it was undeniable.

25 years on and they have made a very clear push to distance themselves from the Power and come under the moniker of PA. .

Which part of what he said was wrong?

There was a clear agenda to get into the AFL no matter what they had to give up, and they've spent the last 24 years trying to get it back. Rightly so I might ad but it's wearing thin on the AFL clearly.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Tue May 04, 2021 1:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Absolutely, we all post daily on an internet forum dedicated to all different sports.... We all dribble shit, this site wouldn't exist without it.

Plus im at home off work with a head cold so im going to dribble even more rubbish than usual.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Fri May 07, 2021 10:23 am

Does anyone think all this PB protesting, and wearing black and white only to the showdown will actually work against Port ever getting to wear it again?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:24 am

They are wearing it in the Showdown tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:They are wearing it in the Showdown tomorrow

Where does it say that?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Where does it say that?
The SANFL showdown ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Where does it say that?
The Showdown starting at 2.10 at Adelaide Oval

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 07, 2021 10:50 am

Jim05 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Where does it say that?
The SANFL showdown ;)

The last bit of info I read on it stated they weren't allowed to, mind you, I haven't investigated it too much as I have little care on the matter..............and I'm a bit slower today after meeting some new cleanskins last night.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mots02 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:34 pm

PRISON BAR JUMPERS SELLOUT
Sales of Port’s heritage guernsey have gone nuts at the Port Store at Alberton ahead of tomorrow night’s Showdown.

The club says it has sold out of the lace-up prison-bar guernsey, while 250 of the long sleeve woollen prison bar jumpers have been sold at $250 a pop, netting the club $62,500.

The uptake in traditional merchandise comes after the AFL refused to allow Port to wear the old strip during its state clash with the Crows following objections from Collingwood who also don black and white stripes.

The marketing ploy has worked a treat. Fans engaged (and enraged), money in the bank.

Well played PAFC.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 07, 2021 7:47 pm

mots02 wrote:PRISON BAR JUMPERS SELLOUT
Sales of Port’s heritage guernsey have gone nuts at the Port Store at Alberton ahead of tomorrow night’s Showdown.

The club says it has sold out of the lace-up prison-bar guernsey, while 250 of the long sleeve woollen prison bar jumpers have been sold at $250 a pop, netting the club $62,500.

The uptake in traditional merchandise comes after the AFL refused to allow Port to wear the old strip during its state clash with the Crows following objections from Collingwood who also don black and white stripes.

The marketing ploy has worked a treat. Fans engaged (and enraged), money in the bank.

Well played PAFC.

They've well and truly rooted any chance they have of wearing it again and will probably have $62,500 less in their hand out from the AFL this year.
Well played? I think not.
If they played it smart they might have had a chance but none now.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Well played PAFC.
Were the guernseys given to Port or have they just neglected to add in the cost?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mots02 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Well played PAFC.

They've well and truly rooted any chance they have of wearing it again and will probably have $62,500 less in their hand out from the AFL this year.
Well played? I think not.
If they played it smart they might have had a chance but none now.

I think its well played because there was probably not much if any chance the AFL would allow them to wear it. (and they probably knew that).

this tactic, has earned a little bit of cash, galvanised a supporter base and further entrenched the 'us v them' mentality the club and its supporters have thrived on.

A MAGA campaign with prison bar guernseys instead of stupid red hats.
mots02
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 pm

It will be no cash in the long run and has meant they have no chance of wearing the defunct clubs guernsey now.
They're also losing a lot of support they had for their cause by clearly breaking a contract which is also dangerous ground when you're not financially viable.
Only a loss for Port.
If they'd approached it from a logical point of view and adhered to the contract they signed they would have had 99% of the footy public behind them and also made more money in the long run.
They're ****** now.
Dumb.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 pm

You just be quiet and plan for your move to Tasmania
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby RB » Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 pm

mots02 wrote:A MAGA campaign with prison bar guernseys instead of stupid red hats.

Bingo.

Still don't see why Collingwood care.

Are we sure the Power have broken a contract?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby valleys07 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:13 am

Wedgie wrote:It will be no cash in the long run and has meant they have no chance of wearing the defunct clubs guernsey now.
They're also losing a lot of support they had for their cause by clearly breaking a contract which is also dangerous ground when you're not financially viable.
Only a loss for Port.
If they'd approached it from a logical point of view and adhered to the contract they signed they would have had 99% of the footy public behind them and also made more money in the long run.
They're ****** now.
Dumb.

Are we sure Port are breaking a contract in the example Mots has mentioned above? I'm thinking that the article is a poor choice of words, rather than a breach of contract.

As far as I am aware (happy for someone to correct me here), but there is nothing preventing Port from selling any prison bar guernsey which features the magpies SANFL emblem, which is what I believe has been on sale at the Port store. So long as the guernsey does not feature any emblem/logo/sponsorship which is considered part of the AFL's IP, I don't believe we are in breach.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Sat May 08, 2021 12:31 am

valleys07 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:It will be no cash in the long run and has meant they have no chance of wearing the defunct clubs guernsey now.
Only a loss for Port.
They're ****** now.
Dumb.

Are we sure Port are breaking a contract in the example Mots has mentioned above? I'm thinking that the article is a poor choice of words, rather than a breach of contract.

As far as I am aware (happy for someone to correct me here), but there is nothing preventing Port from selling any prison bar guernsey which features the magpies SANFL emblem, which is what I believe has been on sale at the Port store. So long as the guernsey does not feature any emblem/logo/sponsorship which is considered part of the AFL's IP, I don't believe we are in breach.

Yeah, we're sure, its been shown everywhere.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL