AFL media

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL media

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 am

You’re underestimating how many Crows supporters never really followed any footy before their inception.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:52 am

whufc wrote:
I give you the Crows as evidence people will drop their long standing teams quicker than I last in the sack.

Not even a close comparison.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
I give you the Crows as evidence people will drop their long standing teams quicker than I last in the sack.

Not even a close comparison.

Lets just say they are both over inside the time it take Usain to run 100m. :D :D
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am

Think back to the Crows inception, they played on our proud recent SOG achievements and that you could watch them play every week (and in the flesh every 2nd week) at a time when the TV coverage was nothing like it is today. Would be much harder to switch clubs these days I would imagine as a supporter.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:00 am

JK wrote:Think back to the Crows inception, they played on our proud recent SOG achievements and that you could watch them play every week (and in the flesh every 2nd week) at a time when the TV coverage was nothing like it is today. Would be much harder to switch clubs these days I would imagine as a supporter.

If the Gold Coast can get on average 18k to a game from people who have swapped teams etc than I reckon the footballing state of Tasmania will do alright for their population.

At least a club like Tasmania will be able to base their business model around some pretty solid statistical data given how many games they have held in the past and plus potential growth etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 am

One of the problems Tasmania has is the dislike/rivalry the North has with the South.
Overcoming/mitigating this will be a big issue.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 am

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:Think back to the Crows inception, they played on our proud recent SOG achievements and that you could watch them play every week (and in the flesh every 2nd week) at a time when the TV coverage was nothing like it is today. Would be much harder to switch clubs these days I would imagine as a supporter.

If the Gold Coast can get on average 18k to a game from people who have swapped teams etc than I reckon the footballing state of Tasmania will do alright for their population.

At least a club like Tasmania will be able to base their business model around some pretty solid statistical data given how many games they have held in the past and plus potential growth etc.

When? Averaged just over 19,000 to home matches in their inaugural year and never got close again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:14 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

When? Averaged just over 19,000 to home matches in their inaugural year and never got close again.

Sorry 12k over their history. Either way if they can do that I would expect Tasmania to be fine being a footballing state and all.
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:17 am

First time in their limited history that Gold Coast have over 20,000 members
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:24 am

Tasmania as a traditional football state deserves to be represented in our national league in our national game.

Perhaps we stop spending millions in non traditional football states and overseas and use it to support the people of Tasmania who have always supported our game.

Various clubs have been given plenty to help them become established and there is no reason why that should not happen for Tasmania.

Isn't it about football?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:25 am

I guess we will get somewhat of an indication of what appetite there is in Tasmania for teams in national comps with Tasmania entering the NBL again as the Tasmania JackJumpers wearing the state colours of green, yellow.
whufc
Coach

Postby cracka » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Wedgie wrote:One of the problems Tasmania has is the dislike/rivalry the North has with the South.

They even refuse to sell each other's beer. Boags in the north, Cascade in the South (or vice versa)
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:53 pm

THE TASSIE ‘BOOS’ THE AFL CAN’T IGNORE

It was the sound stunned Hawthorn players had rarely, perhaps never, heard before in Tasmania.

And for Tassie stand-alone team doubters, it would’ve left them caught in two minds.

Since the mid-2000s, the Hawks have been playing regular games in Launceston and developed a strong following as part of a long-running deal with the Tasmanian state government.

On Sunday, they faced Essendon. And it felt and looked like the Bombers were the ‘home’ team.

Every Hawks clanger was greeted with Bronx cheers. Every touchy umpire call drew jeers.

“You can hear the boos,” triple premiership Lion Alastair Lynch told Fox Footy. There’s great support for Essendon here in Launceston, which is normally the stronghold of Hawthorn.

“The highway from Hobart was full of Essendon supporters coming up today.”

Veteran sports broadcaster and Tassie team advocate Tim Lane was moved by the sights and sounds.

“Gill (McLachlan), Tony Cochrane, Jeff Kennett and all others who have denied Tassie: are you listening and watching? It’s the sound of Tassie footy fans when they’re offered the next best thing to genuine engagement. Just imagine them roaring for their own team!” Lane wrote on Twitter.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale added on Twitter: “Great scenes out of @UTAS_ Stadium, in Launceston Tasmania. Full house, great atmosphere. People who know and love their footy!”

At the same time, the crowd came 24 hours after North Melbourne and Brisbane attracted just 5060 fans for a Saturday twilight game at Hobart’s Blundstone Arena. Six days earlier, only 3462 attended the Kangaroos-Giants match.

So anti-Tassie team people could look at the attendances for those two games and use it as an argument against.

“We’ve seen the way Hobartians have voted with their feet the last two weeks,” veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson said on ABC’s Offsiders.

“They have been insulted by North Melbourne telling them: ‘Turn up or you don’t even deserve to get a team.’ They don’t want North Melbourne, and nor should they. They deserve a 19th team.”

But the fact the Bombers got over the line in front of a (Covid-safe) sold-out crowd of 14,834 at UTAS Stadium proved Tassie’s heart pumps for footy when the state is offered an engrossing clash.

Sunday’s occasion came as the debate around a Tasmanian-based team continued to heat up.

As former Cats president and ex-AFL commissioner Colin Carter prepares his review of the business case for a 19th licence in Tasmania, Suns president Tony Cochrane declared the AFL “can’t afford a 19th franchise under any circumstances”.

“The money is not there, the depths of playing group is not there and at the end of the day, thank God, that decision has to go to the 18 existing presidents,” Cochrane told SEN SA.

“I’m here to tell you I doubt there would be anybody who would move a motion. At best there might be somebody who moves a motion and seconds it. It will not get more than three votes out of 18. It will not get up.”

But ABC broadcaster Alister Nicholson, who grew up on the north-west coast of Tasmania, accused Cochrane of showing “breathtaking arrogance”.

“The president of the Gold Coast Suns suggesting that the entry of a 19th team would put a drain on resources when the Gold Coast Suns, 10 years into their existence, was still getting $27 million in distribution from the AFL and has had hundreds of millions of dollars poured into it,” Nicholson told ABC’s Offsiders.

“It should be assessed on its merits with due consideration given to the rich history and heritage of Tasmania in the game the champions produced, look at the business case, approach it objectively.

“When Colin Carter presents to those presidents, it is clear that Tony Cochrane should be asked to leave the room. He’s declared where he stands on the matter without even being prepared to listen to Colin Carter’s findings. And this needs to be based on the merits of the business case, not on the self-interest of club presidents.

“It is not right that a foundation football state does not have the chance to be in the national competition when there is a will for it, a business case, history and heritage on the basis that the AFL has haemorrhaged millions of dollars into growth markets at the expense of a foundation footy state.”
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:One of the problems Tasmania has is the dislike/rivalry the North has with the South.
When I’ve been down at our Tasmanian depots I’ve been told numerous times that the rift has healed greatly in the last 20 years and that things are great now.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Booney wrote:Oh, and Essendon are "the sleeping giant" of the competition.
Off field absolutely. To pull the memberships and crowds we do despite being garbage for 20 years is amazing
On field whilst I like the way we are heading we are still a fair way off it. Probably 2 years away from finals still.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Brothers go down south, sisters like being up north.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:18 pm

Spargo wrote:You’re underestimating how many Crows supporters never really followed any VFL/AFL (for one year) before their inception.

EFA ;)

The vast majority of the 50 000 there at the first trial game against Essendon had been following footy for a long time with a passing interest in the VFL/AFL (getting stronger in the previous five years I grant you with the player movement east and live VFL coverage against he SANFL from 1987 on)

JK nails it
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby RB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:19 pm

DOC wrote:As former Cats president and ex-AFL commissioner Colin Carter prepares his review of the business case for a 19th licence in Tasmania, Suns president Tony Cochrane declared the AFL “can’t afford a 19th franchise under any circumstances”.

Agreed. There should be 16 teams. So adding a Tasmanian team requires 3 to be kicked out.

GWS goes without saying.

The booming participation rates in Aussie Rules in SE Queensland ATM make it harder to get rid of the Suns, but the mediocre crowd numbers don't help.

Next you'd obviously be looking at kicking out/merging/re-locating a Melbourne club.

That is difficult.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:29 pm

RB wrote:
DOC wrote:As former Cats president and ex-AFL commissioner Colin Carter prepares his review of the business case for a 19th licence in Tasmania, Suns president Tony Cochrane declared the AFL “can’t afford a 19th franchise under any circumstances”.

Agreed. There should be 16 teams. So adding a Tasmanian team requires 3 to be kicked out.

GWS goes without saying.

The booming participation rates in Aussie Rules in SE Queensland ATM make it harder to get rid of the Suns, but the mediocre crowd numbers don't help.

Next you'd obviously be looking at kicking out/merging/re-locating a Melbourne club.

That is difficult.

The AFL isn't cutting teams, that would dwindle the current tv rights deal.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm

RB wrote:

GWS goes without saying.

That is difficult.

I'll win the The Bachelor before this happens.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL