SA Football Video Archive

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: SA Football Video Archive

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Magellan wrote:
bays2011 wrote:
Magellan wrote:Great to see some more updates, really love this archive. As DOC said, a wonderful effort to make these games available.

bays2011 wrote:I forgot to mention that we still have another 700 games to unload...

Is the 1987 second semi final between North and Norwood in that lot? Seemingly impossible to locate to date, and I reckon at least myself and RobranisGod are keen to revisit it.

Sadly, do not have this game.

Bugger. Thanks for looking, and keep up the great work.

About 10 or so years ago I donated my video of that game to someone who was supposed to be uploading it to the SA Football Archive. That is the last I ever saw of my copy of the game.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby RB » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:27 pm

I'd be interested in seeing Round 1, 1991 - WWT v Sturt.

Great work by all involved to upload so much footage.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby bays2011 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 am

RB wrote:I'd be interested in seeing Round 1, 1991 - WWT v Sturt.

Great work by all involved to upload so much footage.

Cheers, and unfortunately we don't have that game.
bays2011
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby bays2011 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 am

About 10 or so years ago I donated my video of that game to someone who was supposed to be uploading it to the SA Football Archive. That is the last I ever saw of my copy of the game.[/quote]

How did you get in contact with us? The only way to do that is electronically, so you would have a record of this perhaps?
Who did you "donate" it to and how and where did you "donate" it?
Have you followed it up since, apart from in this public forum?
Feel free to PM me with answers to these questions and I will look into it.
bays2011
Rookie

Postby Interceptor » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:11 am

Okay so this more of a general query (as I doubt there is video footage of these games)...

Norwood were premiers in 1982 and if I recall correctly, there were two post-season (or pre-season 1983) games played:

1. Richmond (won by Norwood)
2. SA (won by the state side)

Anyone with memories of these games?
Seems difficult to verify they even took place (Advertiser archives from then don't appear to be online).
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 am

Interceptor wrote:Okay so this more of a general query (as I doubt there is video footage of these games)...

Norwood were premiers in 1982 and if I recall correctly, there were two post-season (or pre-season 1983) games played:

Seems difficult to verify they even took place (Advertiser archives from then don't appear to be online).

The game you say was against the state side was actually against the Advertiser Team Of the Year and it was played to raise funds for victims of the Ash Wednesday bushfires so it was definitely pre season.
My only memory of the game was that a very young Brenton Phillips played in the game.
Online newspapers are normally only up to 1954 but microfiche copies of The Advertiser from 1983 can be viewed at the SA Library.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:44 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Interceptor wrote:Okay so this more of a general query (as I doubt there is video footage of these games)...

The game you say was against the state side was actually against the Advertiser Team Of the Year and it was played to raise funds for victims of the Ash Wednesday bushfires so it was definitely pre season.
My only memory of the game was that a very young Brenton Phillips played in the game.
Online newspapers are normally only up to 1954 but microfiche copies of The Advertiser from 1983 can be viewed at the SA Library.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/375647/secr ... hfire-game

Looks like the VFL also held one.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby robranisgod » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:42 pm

bays2011 wrote:
robranisgod wrote:About 10 or so years ago I donated my video of that game to someone who was supposed to be uploading it to the SA Football Archive. That is the last I ever saw of my copy of the game.

How did you get in contact with us? The only way to do that is electronically, so you would have a record of this perhaps?
Who did you "donate" it to and how and where did you "donate" it?
Have you followed it up since, apart from in this public forum?
Feel free to PM me with answers to these questions and I will look into it.

It appears as though my copy of that game and about 50 other games never got to the SA Football Archive. Somewhere after being picked up from my home it appears as though the box was lost. It is a shame because it had some great highlights including North kicking 11 goals in 20 minutes against Norwood and some of North's other highlights from 1985 where they were averaging 23 goals a game!
I wouldn't be able to play them anyway. I certainly don't have a VCR, it would just have been good to see those games in perpetuity.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Interceptor » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:18 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Seems fairly antiquated to only have microfiche copies in 2021.

Anyway I nearly mentioned the Team of the Year match was a bushfire benefit match, but my memory was so vague of it.
I'm pretty certain though both matches were played under lights at Norwood Oval.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Postby gilly18 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Brilliant by sa football video archive to upload the remaining games they had. It's great that instead of all this footage by individual people being left in a cupboard where no one would ever get to see it again is now online for everyone to see. It was a fantastic idea by the sa football video archive team and a big thanks to them.

Hopefully other people will continue upload more of these games and hopefully the sanfl history centre will upload the heap of games the have online soon.
gilly18
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Ardrossan

Postby bays2011 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:13 pm

gilly18 wrote:Brilliant by sa football video archive to upload the remaining games they had. It's great that instead of all this footage by individual people being left in a cupboard where no one would ever get to see it again is now online for everyone to see. It was a fantastic idea by the sa football video archive team and a big thanks to them.

Hopefully other people will continue upload more of these games and hopefully the sanfl history centre will upload the heap of games the have online soon.

Cheers Gilly18. There is a lot more footage as well. Working on uploading it progressively.
bays2011
Rookie

Postby whybother » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Hi. I am a newcomer to this (sub) site. Is there an index of the games that are covered in the library ?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:11 pm

I take it everything is gone now?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:55 pm

I think available on facebook (not sure) but yes the youtube channel has been pulled.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:42 pm

DOC wrote:I think available on facebook (not sure) but yes the youtube channel has been pulled.
Does anyone know why?
RustyCage

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I read something along the lines of copyright (not certain). And that was I think a guess. Think I read it on the fans of SANFL facebook page.

Edit

https://www.facebook.com/groups/safootballvideoarchive/
Last edited by DOC on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm

I have read it is copyright issues with a song played during the 1983 Magery Medal telecast. What a rip **** you Sony. Why can't they just pull that vid and leave the rest of the site up?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby spell_check » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:14 pm

What needs to be done is get in touch with Youtube and get this sorted - Rob Moody (robelinda2) has had many issues with copyright and he can bounce back with more cricket content after smoothing out the wrinkles.

At the very least, I understand there's more content still to be uploaded, so start a new channel and put some of it on that. Even re-uploading the 1961 SA vs WA last quarter, that is about the earliest interstate clash with commentary going around, which I feel is historically important.

I can upload a few things I downloaded off there, if that helps a little.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Interceptor » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:07 pm

FB page just says youtube channel discontinued "for various reasons".
Pity since youtube is far better suited than FB, which I hardly bother with these days.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 pm

The footage was way too good to be lost to SANFL fans, amazing footage of legends of the game
RustyCage

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum