R13 Central v Port Saturday 2.10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R13 Central v Port Saturday 2.10

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:23 am

Ill be the first to admit I haven't seen us up close in a while but try and catch as much as I can on the digital pass.

I can understand that if you were an outside looker in you would cast some big doubts over our playing squad.

I mean lets be honest, the likes of Gillard, Lleylwen, Weaver, Pisani, Olsson, Haydon, Barreau are all 30+ games into their career and can anyone honestly see them being part of the next premiership side, have we and they improved much in those last 30 games (2-3 seasons of game...….barely if at all apart from fleeting moments here and there)

Sadly we have this development stagnation where we have these players who are great at ressies level but fail to take the next step to becoming really good consistent league players, not sure why that happens but its been reoccurring over the last five years in particular. I know the fan who sits and watches every kick of both Ressies and league will make a case there is a 1% improvements they have seen on individual players but the cold hard statistics clearly state we are not improving.

My biggest concern is the club and Thommo in particular were talking a big game pre-season (yeah I know you cant talk the team down but the talk about being a top 3 side was extremely ambitious). I really hope the club don't believe we have squad capable of being top 3 because we are so far from that its not funny. If they genuinely think the squad is the top 3 but not fulfilling its talent we are in for another 30+ premiership drought.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:23 pm

Crystal balling on what the SANFL will look like in 5 years time is harder than ever these days. Far all/any clubs trying to build from a young base (so probably at least 6 clubs) no point using say the Dogs of 2000-2010 as an example (or the premiers thereafter), because were not going to see sides that great again.

So for those players you’ve mentioned WHUFC, who knows as they won’t necessarily have to hit the heights of players of yesteryear.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:59 pm

JK wrote:Crystal balling on what the SANFL will look like in 5 years time is harder than ever these days. Far all/any clubs trying to build from a young base (so probably at least 6 clubs) no point using say the Dogs of 2000-2010 as an example (or the premiers thereafter), because were not going to see sides that great again.

So for those players you’ve mentioned WHUFC, who knows as they won’t necessarily have to hit the heights of players of yesteryear.

Personally I base our performance of the consistency against the top sides in the comp this year as I believe we should be trying to achieve the best as it stands at the moment eg not hoping the quality drops therefore our performance improves. If you look at our performances against the top 4 we are consistently five goals behind them. I guess you could look at it either way, is 5 goals much in the scheme of an entire game or is the consistency of not being able to get within that margin worrying.

Glenelg- L (34pts)
Eagles- L (29pts)
South- L (27pts)
Norwood- L (32pts) / L (30pts)
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:40 pm

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:Crystal balling on what the SANFL will look like in 5 years time is harder than ever these days. Far all/any clubs trying to build from a young base (so probably at least 6 clubs) no point using say the Dogs of 2000-2010 as an example (or the premiers thereafter), because were not going to see sides that great again.

Personally I base our performance of the consistency against the top sides in the comp this year as I believe we should be trying to achieve the best as it stands at the moment eg not hoping the quality drops therefore our performance improves. If you look at our performances against the top 4 we are consistently five goals behind them. I guess you could look at it either way, is 5 goals much in the scheme of an entire game or is the consistency of not being able to get within that margin worrying.

Glenelg- L (34pts)
Eagles- L (29pts)
South- L (27pts)

Looks to me like we're not quite good enough yet.
We are 2 or 3 crucial position players from beating those sides & that's not much, if we can find them.
Again, if Fort & Neagle return next season, as are the rumours, then we're going to be a lot more competitive.
The next thing will be depth, retaining players who aren't quite good enough for a league spot all year.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:11 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:

Glenelg- L (34pts)
Eagles- L (29pts)
South- L (27pts)

Looks to me like we're not quite good enough yet.
We are 2 or 3 crucial position players from beating those sides & that's not much, if we can find them.
Again, if Fort & Neagle return next season, as are the rumours, then we're going to be a lot more competitive.
The next thing will be depth, retaining players who aren't quite good enough for a league spot all year.

Fort would be the key because it could potentially free up other players in key roles......would be great to see him return.
whufc
Coach

Postby northerner » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 pm

whufc wrote:Ill be the first to admit I haven't seen us up close in a while but try and catch as much as I can on the digital pass.

I can understand that if you were an outside looker in you would cast some big doubts over our playing squad.

I mean lets be honest, the likes of Gillard, Lleylwen, Weaver, Pisani, Olsson, Haydon, Barreau are all 30+ games into their career and can anyone honestly see them being part of the next premiership side, have we and they improved much in those last 30 games (2-3 seasons of game...….barely if at all apart from fleeting moments here and there)

Sadly we have this development stagnation where we have these players who are great at ressies level but fail to take the next step to becoming really good consistent league players, not sure why that happens but its been reoccurring over the last five years in particular. I know the fan who sits and watches every kick of both Ressies and league will make a case there is a 1% improvements they have seen on individual players but the cold hard statistics clearly state we are not improving.

My biggest concern is the club and Thommo in particular were talking a big game pre-season (yeah I know you cant talk the team down but the talk about being a top 3 side was extremely ambitious). I really hope the club don't believe we have squad capable of being top 3 because we are so far from that its not funny. If they genuinely think the squad is the top 3 but not fulfilling its talent we are in for another 30+ premiership drought.

Again, someone sees it different to me BUT I think Llewellyn has been absolutely spot on since returning from his 12 month layoff. He is fitter than he has ever been, is attacking the football and hasnt made errors with possession. Nor has he been beaten in any stage in the last 3 games.
I agree re your selection criteria in rating players.. ie "Can they do their role in a GF" but respectfully disagree re Ryan... he gets a definite tick in fitting that criteria from me.
Also believe Barreau and Weaver have more plus side to them than given credit for. Weaves is one of the few who acts as a leader on the park, and is showing more creativity this season; and Cuz has versatility, is courageous and can take a contested grab. All 3 of these lads are terrific role players, and as such they most certainly (IMO) could feature in a GF side.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby UK Fan » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:23 pm

Darcy Fort is contracted until the end of 2022 at the Cats,

Aaron Nitschke (2-3 knee reconstructions since being drafted by Melbourne) could be delisted

Ive heard Neagle is keen to come back next year I also hope we contact Izzy Mckenzie re: a return his speed and goal sense would be handy

We need to sign A-Graders guys that can have an immediate impact.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 pm

northerner wrote:
whufc wrote:Ill be the first to admit I haven't seen us up close in a while but try and catch as much as I can on the digital pass.

Again, someone sees it different to me BUT I think Llewellyn has been absolutely spot on since returning from his 12 month layoff. He is fitter than he has ever been, is attacking the football and hasnt made errors with possession. Nor has he been beaten in any stage in the last 3 games.
I agree re your selection criteria in rating players.. ie "Can they do their role in a GF" but respectfully disagree re Ryan... he gets a definite tick in fitting that criteria from me.
Also believe Barreau and Weaver have more plus side to them than given credit for. Weaves is one of the few who acts as a leader on the park, and is showing more creativity this season; and Cuz has versatility, is courageous and can take a contested grab. All 3 of these lads are terrific role players, and as such they most certainly (IMO) could feature in a GF side.

Lleywellen has been good but my point being he debuted in 2017 and 4 years on for one reason and another we are still talking about him trying to take that next step

He has age on his side but I’m sure the club in a perfect world would have seen him become a consistent league footballer by now
whufc
Coach

Postby northerner » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:21 pm

whufc wrote:
northerner wrote:

Lleywellen has been good but my point being he debuted in 2017 and 4 years on for one reason and another we are still talking about him trying to take that next step

He has age on his side but I’m sure the club in a perfect world would have seen him become a consistent league footballer by now

And my view is HE IS a consistent league player. You are talking about him taking the next step up but many of us believe he HAS taken the next step up. He was great last year before his recon and is even better this year.

On a side issue, I see you stated that Thommo said we would be a Top three side. I might have missed that announcement; I have never recalled him saying that????
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby gazzamagoo » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:Darcy Fort is contracted until the end of 2022 at the Cats,

Aaron Nitschke (2-3 knee reconstructions since being drafted by Melbourne) could be delisted

Ive heard Neagle is keen to come back next year I also hope we contact Izzy Mckenzie re: a return his speed and goal sense would be handy

Contracts can be negotiated.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby beef » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:01 pm

UK Fan wrote:Darcy Fort is contracted until the end of 2022 at the Cats,

Aaron Nietschke wont play next year any where. Poor bloke still having massive issues from the knee surgeries
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Hazydog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:02 pm

Bunger would be exactly what we need if (a) he pulls the pin at west coast and (b) we could convince him to put in similar hours for about 20 or 30 times less money!! Gut feel he’ll head straight back to the Barossa if he comes “home”
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:20 am

The average AFL player gets 62.5 times the money what the average SANFL player gets.

Money won't be a motivator for him.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Hazydog wrote:Bunger would be exactly what we need if (a) he pulls the pin at west coast and (b) we could convince him to put in similar hours for about 20 or 30 times less money!! Gut feel he’ll head straight back to the Barossa if he comes “home”

He wont be back, he'll move straight into the coaching side of things at AFL level.
Im not sure how far advanced he is with the AFL coaching accreditation program, does level 4 sound right, im not all over the different levels
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL