AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm

I just can't see clarkson staying on.
It just gets too messy.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Staunch Collingwood bloke at work (who has a few contacts close to the club) says Choco Williams’ name keeps coming up.
Surely not.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:32 pm

Spargo wrote:Staunch Collingwood bloke at work (who has a few contacts close to the club) says Choco Williams’ name keeps coming up.
Surely not.
Why not?
Could do a lot worse.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:52 pm

Every other club is going to experienced coaches and Hawks go for a you untried coach?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:24 pm

The two major architects of hawthorn's dynasty will be reunited?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:11 am

Spargo wrote:Staunch Collingwood bloke at work (who has a few contacts close to the club) says Choco Williams’ name keeps coming up.
Surely not.

He's only 62 too, I thought he was older, his ruthless coaching style is very suited to Collingwood and just what they need right now, even if it was for a 3 year succession plan.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:12 am

Dutchy wrote:Every other club is going to experienced coaches and Hawks go for a you untried coach?

I was reading talk of Clarko to Alberton in 2023, fingers crossed.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:33 am

Media losing their heads over the Clarkson/Mitchell situation and TBH I don't really see why. Yes Clarkson's been a great coach and no doubt still would be, not many clubs have won a flag in each of the last 6 decades and if you were a Hawks fan surely you'd back them in again here?? They've made tough calls before and it's worked out.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:52 am

JK wrote:Media losing their heads over the Clarkson/Mitchell situation and TBH I don't really see why. Yes Clarkson's been a great coach and no doubt still would be, not many clubs have won a flag in each of the last 6 decades and if you were a Hawks fan surely you'd back them in again here?? They've made tough calls before and it's worked out.
He is still the best coach going. Why would a club willingly give away its best asset??

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:58 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
JK wrote:Media losing their heads over the Clarkson/Mitchell situation and TBH I don't really see why. Yes Clarkson's been a great coach and no doubt still would be, not many clubs have won a flag in each of the last 6 decades and if you were a Hawks fan surely you'd back them in again here?? They've made tough calls before and it's worked out.
He is still the best coach going. Why would a club willingly give away its best asset??

Might be aiming for another dynasty, and might not think he'd see it through? Who knows TBH, we all speculate so much from the outside when really we'd have no idea what's going on and/or what the reasoning would be. Hawks have a great culture, I'd be backing that in.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:01 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Probably because he's a bit stale, it would be difficult to find the motivation when you've achieved what he has since his tenure there.

At the end of the day, whether I like them or not they have been the most successful club at the highest level for my lifetime, they'll have their time in the limelight once again before this decade is out, it's just what they do.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:
cracka wrote:Are the Simon Goodwin critics/haters still out there.

Yep.

*Waves*

Simon waves back :oops:
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:31 pm

tigerpie wrote:The two major architects of hawthorn's dynasty will be reunited?

Is Andy Demetriou going to Hawthorn? No expansion no threepeat.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:53 pm

https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2 ... lenge-afl/

Lockdowns, crowd caps and disrupted schedules have pushed more AFL fans into a TV-watching comfort zone. Getting them back into stadiums could be an issue, writes Michelangelo Rucci.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:16 pm

Booney wrote:https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2021/07/09/couch-warmers-stay-at-home-fans-challenge-afl/

Lockdowns, crowd caps and disrupted schedules have pushed more AFL fans into a TV-watching comfort zone. Getting them back into stadiums could be an issue, writes Michelangelo Rucci.

Good article and rings true to me. Why go when you can stay home, warm and cheap beer and food. I think the cashcow of people going to the footy is over for the AFL. Thankfully people are starting to vote with their feet. It's just a shame that it's taken the pandemic to start it.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:19 pm

Booney wrote:https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2021/07/09/couch-warmers-stay-at-home-fans-challenge-afl/

Agree crowds are going to be tough to get back especially for teams who aren't flag contenders or games that are dead rubbers. Personally I think we will start to see really big discrepancies between crowds at the big blockbusters and crowds at other games, I know that exists now but to an even greater level.

Question is, do the AFL care...…...what portion of money is lost from actual attendances versus what could be potentially gained from higher tv ratings.

I mean look at the popularity of the EPL in Australia, 99% of people don't get to go to a game yet its popularity is only ever increasing through the ability to watch on a regular basis now and tv rights are now at an all time high.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:28 pm

whufc wrote:

Agree crowds are going to be tough to get back especially for teams who aren't flag contenders or games that are dead rubbers. Personally I think we will start to see really big discrepancies between crowds at the big blockbusters and crowds at other games, I know that exists now but to an even greater level.

Question is, do the AFL care...…...what portion of money is lost from actual attendances versus what could be potentially gained from higher tv ratings.

I mean look at the popularity of the EPL in Australia, 99% of people don't get to go to a game yet its popularity is only ever increasing through the ability to watch on a regular basis now and tv rights are now at an all time high.

No doubt the AFL can charge more for TV rights and the Foxtel's of the world can get more back through subscriptions, but if crowds are down, does that affect stadium deals with vendors (absolutely). In the article it mentions the Eagles have lost 6mill. If the AFL have to subsidise that 6mill, then yes they'll care but if they get 100mill extra in TV rights, then maybe not so much!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:39 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
whufc wrote:

No doubt the AFL can charge more for TV rights and the Foxtel's of the world can get more back through subscriptions, but if crowds are down, does that affect stadium deals with vendors (absolutely). In the article it mentions the Eagles have lost 6mill. If the AFL have to subsidise that 6mill, then yes they'll care but if they get 100mill extra in TV rights, then maybe not so much!

Agree. Only the AFL would have estimate figures on hand that they could make such assessments I suppose.

You would think if lower crowds become 'the new norm haha' clubs would then be actively looking at ways to minimise the financial hit, eg only opening lower sections of the ground, limiting security etc etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:20 pm

AFL have created this monster, if your club isn't on FTA regularly and going to see them live isn't an option, you have no choice but to get Foxtel/Kayo
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:AFL have created this monster, if your club isn't on FTA regularly and going to see them live isn't an option, you have no choice but to get Foxtel/Kayo

If you’re not going then those funds can go to Kayo/FOXTEL. Probably still saving money
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL