OSB/Lonsdale
2%

Total votes : 55

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 7

Postby Surgeon » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:33 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Surgeon wrote:
morell wrote:
someguy1 wrote: The morphie parks new rooms have 2 big rooms but you can partition into 4 if required.
Suspect that's we'll do as well if the need arises.

This statement not quite accurate.
We have 4 full size change rooms each with 4 showers and 3 toilets. Two of the four also have two ice baths.
Changerooms 1 and 2 can be combined by opening a roller door, as can 3 and 4.
The whole build was done as unisex.
Fair to say 1 change room and amenities is bigger than our old change room set up combined.
Very happy with the current set up - got great bang for the buck.

Hoping all the clubs end up with builds like ours.

but you cant hang a photo on your wall. No thanks, if I want sterile, i'll go to a hospital.

Agreed, this will slowly change, when brand new council wary or overkill. Challenge will be showcasing history while maintaining a new look and feel with the community space council are keen on.
Reflects some of Morell comments re investment from council and what they want.
Surgeon
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Surgeon wrote:[

Agreed, this will slowly change, when brand new council wary or overkill. Challenge will be showcasing history while maintaining a new look and feel with the community space council are keen on.
Reflects some of Morell comments re investment from council and what they want.

Dont get me wrong, you've got a great set up, i was very surprised to hear that you couldn't hang any photos.

Note to other clubs - put it in the contract with council!
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 pm

With 5 rounds left, congrats to Cotter, Fenwick, Cossie and the rest of the Units cohort on guiding the club to a return to finals action for the first time 2012 (I think?).. long time between finals campaigns, and some tough weeks in amongst those years, but the resilience shown and work by those off field is commendable.

Top 3 spot sewn up, double chance, it's a great platform heading into the Major Round.

In other news, Round 18 - Adel Luth vs Mitchell Park - could it be the battle for the last finals spot OR could Houghton slip from the 5?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby MarionPremers2018 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Will be interesting to see who takes out the flag in div7 the standard has lifted in the last 2-3 years, top 3 looks set Units, BL, Greenacres all set up perfectly for the finals if central United beat Greenies this week BL will finish 2nd
MarionPremers2018

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:16 am

Didn't know where to put this so thought maybe the div 7 thread as its right Morrells alley of outside the square thinking.

Why do 99.9% of clubs train Tuesday/Thursday? Is it because its always been done that way.

If you look at SANFL/AFL clubs they always have their main session on a Wednesday for a Saturday game ensuring players Everyone in the health and fitness injury knows that generally two days after physical activity is when you are at your sorest so the Thursday/Saturday seems the most detrimental time to have your hardest training session.

Once again look at SANFL/AFL clubs and they always ensure Monday is a light run to jog out all those aches and pains from a Saturday. Admittedly they also would do Sunday sessions but the principal remains the same.

Would any club consider changing training to Monday/Wednesday and if not why???? Is it another one of these its just always been done that way so we keep doing it that way things.

ps. what prompted me to post this was a discussion over a few beers as at BSR Tigers our city players train Monday, Wednesday due to ground availability as they train at Fitzroy I believe. They also do they as it most of them are ex SANFL league/reserves players and are you use it. But geez on a Saturday they seem to be a lot fresher than us country guys who have had a hard session on the Thursday night. Us country lads wont change nights though because get stuffed if you think we are missing out on the local pub Thursday Snitty night after training.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:22 am

Most clubs would do their main session with harder activities on a Tuesday and a lighter run on Thursday. If those blokes look fresher then I’d say it’s probably got more to do with how they treat their bodies with recovery and also how generally fit they are on most occasions as it’s worth a fair bit of coin to them. In some country and city leagues where clubs are forced to train on Mondays and Wednesdays due to shared grounds I haven’t seen any clubs blatantly stand out because they train one day earlier and can recover. Just my opinion.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:32 am

Tuesday night is a 3 day rest from game day so that's pretty ideal for a hard sessions.

A two day break again for a lighter Thursday run and selection night, there is too much that can happen between Wednesday and Saturday, even with selection on Thursday night's I'd assume most clubs would have a few changes by Saturday due to work or illness that occurs in that short time frame.

The Fitzroy group on a Wednesday is a fair standard of training.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Tuesday night is a 3 day rest from game day so that's pretty ideal for a hard sessions.

A two day break again for a lighter Thursday run and selection night, there is too much that can happen between Wednesday and Saturday, even with selection on Thursday night's I'd assume most clubs would have a few changes by Saturday due to work or illness that occurs in that short time frame.

Yeah those blokes can play thats for sure and the coach runs a good ship, short, sharpe, intense, and get the hell out of there.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Tuesday night is a 3 day rest from game day so that's pretty ideal for a hard sessions.

I guess what I find interesting is it significantly goes away from the method behind what AFL and SANFL clubs do especially given the amount of science etc they put into their training regimes.

Happy to accept the AFL/SANFL have extra sessions as well but amature/country club theory varies significantly from the professionals.

Just found it an interesting discussion when chatting over a few beers and thought the conversation was very Morrell like. :D

I guess what I will add is surely being as fresh as possible for a Saturday game (3 days rest compared to 2 days) has to overweigh any skill based increase you might get from training on a Thursday rather than a Wednesday.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:57 am

whufc wrote:

I guess what I find interesting is it significantly goes away from the method behind what AFL and SANFL clubs do especially given the amount of science etc they put into their training regimes.

Happy to accept the AFL/SANFL have extra sessions as well but amature/country club theory varies significantly from the professionals.

Just found it an interesting discussion when chatting over a few beers and thought the conversation was very Morrell like. :D

I guess what I will add is surely being as fresh as possible for a Saturday game (3 days rest compared to 2 days) has to overweigh any skill based increase you might get from training on a Thursday rather than a Wednesday.

AFL/SANFL know by Monday morning who is playing and who is not, they don't have Bill not playing because he has a wedding to attend, Dave's not on call for work, Phil won't be asked to work Saturday and Mick won't get bitten by an inch ant.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:27 am

You can't even begin to compare community footy with top level.

Ammo clubs don't have full time staff, resources, facilities.. players don't have the luxury of pulling up sore and going for a scan or having double physio sessions each day, or working in a recovery pool with the strength & conditioning coach.

Saturday nights are generally for the boys at ammo clubs - few beers, meal, laughs.. yeah sure a lot of guys might do a light recovery session Sunday, but a professional would be doing recovery from the moment the game finishes.

From a coaching point of view, the hardest part about moving away from a Thursday is the distance between Wed - Sat. We still have each week guys who don't know their availability until late Thursday - might need to see if they can get through training, might need to see if they have to work, might need to check the weather.

Friday could be done, but it's ammo sport - blokes want their Friday knock off beers, or heading home to chill with the family.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:28 am

whufc wrote:Happy to accept the AFL/SANFL have extra sessions as well but amateur/country club theory varies significantly from the professionals. .

Examples?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:36 am

When I played we shared Kingswood Oval with Unley so we trained Mon/Wed - Wed wasn't an issue but it was pretty hard training Monday night in July when the body was still in recovery mode.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:50 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Happy to accept the AFL/SANFL have extra sessions as well but amateur/country club theory varies significantly from the professionals. .

Examples?

Going off what other posters have said,

Ammos
-Hard training Tuesday 3 days after game
-Light training Thursdays 2 days before the game

SANFL
-Light training Monday 2 days after the game
-Hard training Wednesday 3 days before the game
-Captains run Friday Night (obviously no one would expect ammos to complete 3 nights of training)

My summary of that is the SANFL/AFL clubs have a real focus on recovery, having the light sessions early in the week compared to ammos who have their hard session early. Making it more of interest is that SANFL/AFL club have better resources and practises to try an ensure players recover quicker including Sunday recovery sessions. In theory SANFL/AFL players would be better prepared for a heavier session early in the week compared to ammos who most likely sank 49 beers Saturday night and kept going on a Sunday. :D

They then hold their heavy session 3 days out from the game which being in the fitness industry for 10-15 years is ideal for peak performance. Anyone who is a regular gym user will talk about the 2 day soreness.

Its not that big deal a deal honestly, was just interesting that when discussing with others no one could actually give a reason why Tuesday/Thursday were training nights other than that's the way its always been done. Maybe that's what the SANFL clubs used to do in the 70's / 80's I don't know the answer to that.

Just interesting as well as 'rightfully' ammo clubs look to emulate SANFL/AFL clubs on many different levels including training methods but interesting none to my knowledge have gone to the same nights that an SANFL club have.
Last edited by whufc on Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:51 am

Dutchy wrote:When I played we shared Kingswood Oval with Unley so we trained Mon/Wed - Wed wasn't an issue but it was pretty hard training Monday night in July when the body was still in recovery mode.

So just train the Wednesday....sounds ideal...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Dirty dog » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:24 pm

Thursdays night trainings are massive at my football club, our Adelaide boys come up{every second week] and we have teas with the netball club. 40-50 footballers and 15-25 netballers plus all the support staff each Thursday is huge for our community.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby oldman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Whats peoples thoughts on clubs sacking coaches mid year or coaches advising the club they wont be continuing the following year, is it in the clubs best interest to move on straight away or do you keep the coach for the rest of the year?
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Dirty dog wrote:Thursdays night trainings are massive at my football club, our Adelaide boys come up{every second week] and we have teas with the netball club. 40-50 footballers and 15-25 netballers plus all the support staff each Thursday is huge for our community.

The Adelaide boys would appreciate a bit more space on the ground compared to Ironbank :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dirty Darryl » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:40 am

oldman wrote:Whats peoples thoughts on clubs sacking coaches mid year or coaches advising the club they wont be continuing the following year, is it in the clubs best interest to move on straight away or do you keep the coach for the rest of the year?

well run clubs pull the pin while others let the problem fester and do more damage
Dirty Darryl
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby turk186 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:07 pm

MarionPremers2018 wrote:Will be interesting to see who takes out the flag in div7 the standard has lifted in the last 2-3 years, top 3 looks set Units, BL, Greenacres all set up perfectly for the finals if central United beat Greenies this week BL will finish 2nd

Thats a fair bit of insight re BL finishing 2nd.....they are 3rd by a game AND percentage but they could do it no doubt.... maybe be close ..then again nobody gave Greenies a chance of beating Units first time around ....beware the sleeping dragon...he might just burn your arse :shock:
Opinions and bumholes..you either have one or are one IMO
turk186
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Greenacres

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League