COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby BenchedEagle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Do we know what the promotion deal will be?
Surely we cant have the situation where 3 & 4 get lucky and sneak past a prelim on a neutral ground and get promoted leaving possibley the 2 best sides in a Division all year stayng down?
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:29 pm

BenchedEagle wrote:Do we know what the promotion deal will be?
Surely we cant have the situation where 3 & 4 get lucky and sneak past a prelim on a neutral ground and get promoted leaving possibley the 2 best sides in a Division all year stayng down?

Come on mate the Units are too good to be knocked out in a semi. :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JesseWhite wrote:Edwardstown is another that has hosted night games and is gated.

Are the lights any good though mate? Plenty of clubs host them but a lot aren't up to it.

No good, training standard only
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:09 pm

There's a couple of precarious situations ahead.
Although Glenunga have been subliminal in div 2 they could face Old Iggies in the knockout semi who they only beat by 3 points at home in their only encounter so far this season.

Div 5 is just crazy, CLG seem to have the momentum atm but finals are a different ball game.

Elizabeth are undefeated in div 6 but they are likely to face off against Blackfriars in the semi who have found their mojo and pushed Elizabeth to within 4 points when they met a few weeks ago.

PAOC, The Havens, Pembroke and the Units you would think would go in at less than $1.20 faves.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Division 5 this week is 1v2 for the third straight week.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Yank Man » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JesseWhite wrote:Edwardstown is another that has hosted night games and is gated.

Are the lights any good though mate? Plenty of clubs host them but a lot aren't up to it.

No good, training standard only

Only when they use the necessary lights for training. When they’re full bore they are more than good enough, but the ground can’t be gated as it is open to all the public and would be impossible to QR check in.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:51 pm

I think there was a time that Edwardstown was just suitable for a gated Grand Final and I think they may have hosted the odd lower division Grand Final over the journey, but that has changed since the redevelopment. I believe the lights are fine when at full capacity and our Div 6 Women are playing a 1st semi final at Townies on Saturday night at 6.30pm. I believe St Mary's Park has been sounded out for a night final if they can't get enough SANFL grounds on the Friday night. Possibly the only non-SANFL ground with the required combination of good lights and fencing. I've heard the likely game times for the Men's Friday night finals will be 5.30pm B grade & 7.30pm A grade.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby BenchedEagle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 pm

whufc wrote:

Not worried about the Units ;) Id be worried about a Mitchell Park in Div 6 2022 and can you imagine the uproar at Adelaide Lutheran if they got accidently promoted ;)
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Fools Gold wrote:So do any clubs actually have a COVID Management Plan? I was under the impression that it was only AFL/SANFL venues that had them in concrete. Hope I'm wrong though!

I know that Kenilworth has one
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Yank Man » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:06 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I think there was a time that Edwardstown was just suitable for a gated Grand Final and I think they may have hosted the odd lower division Grand Final over the journey, but that has changed since the redevelopment. I believe the lights are fine when at full capacity and our Div 6 Women are playing a 1st semi final at Townies on Saturday night at 6.30pm. I believe St Mary's Park has been sounded out for a night final if they can't get enough SANFL grounds on the Friday night. Possibly the only non-SANFL ground with the required combination of good lights and fencing. I've heard the likely game times for the Men's Friday night finals will be 5.30pm B grade & 7.30pm A grade.

Edwardstown has had a Grand Final for quite a few years now and predominately Div 4/5/6 but as you said, the new redevelopment has changed things a lot because it was always fenced. Interesting question Down The Hill, so the Women’s finals don’t need a QR code system to play finals, is that what you are saying?
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby Yank Man » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:I think there was a time that Edwardstown was just suitable for a gated Grand Final and I think they may have hosted the odd lower division Grand Final over the journey, but that has changed since the redevelopment. I believe the lights are fine when at full capacity and our Div 6 Women are playing a 1st semi final at Townies on Saturday night at 6.30pm. I believe St Mary's Park has been sounded out for a night final if they can't get enough SANFL grounds on the Friday night. Possibly the only non-SANFL ground with the required combination of good lights and fencing. I've heard the likely game times for the Men's Friday night finals will be 5.30pm B grade & 7.30pm A grade.

Edwardstown has had a Grand Final for quite a few years now and predominately Div 4/5/6 but as you said, the new redevelopment has changed things a lot because it was always fenced. Interesting question Down The Hill, so the Women’s finals don’t need a QR code system to play finals, is that what you are saying, or is Towns QR coded
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby Demon Juke » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:23 pm

BenchedEagle wrote:
whufc wrote:

Not worried about the Units ;) Id be worried about a Mitchell Park in Div 6 2022 and can you imagine the uproar at Adelaide Lutheran if they got accidently promoted ;)

Minor premier should be promoted if they happen to loose there only final, then the winning grand final side also. It is different year with finals so promotion should be changed also.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:59 pm

Probably need to get through the next 3-4 weeks at best first before you start the final outcome of promotion and relegation. So much water to go under the bridge that’s way beyond our control before you establish a “fair and/or reasonable” outcome for all. Who’s to say we’re gonna get 18 rounds out next year? If that’s a possibility then you probably need to start discussions of a shortened season and how that looks fair for everyone….

Really hope we get through the rest of our games without any delays - Looking over the border in comparison we have been blessed to date with our competitions….
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:37 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Probably need to get through the next 3-4 weeks at best first before you start the final outcome of promotion and relegation. So much water to go under the bridge that’s way beyond our control before you establish a “fair and/or reasonable” outcome for all. Who’s to say we’re gonna get 18 rounds out next year? If that’s a possibility then you probably need to start discussions of a shortened season and how that looks fair for everyone….

Really hope we get through the rest of our games without any delays - Looking over the border in comparison we have been blessed to date with our competitions….

Exactly, get to the completion of the minor round first and we have a base plan for the promotion/relegation system, that's what the league has emphasised as the priority since day dot.

I guess the unknown is how long is COVID going to govern society? Will we always need contingency plans for all facets of life, will mask wearing be the norm moving forward?

The only feasible way of shortening the season is to drop the divisions to 8 teams, that will potentially knock 6-7 weeks off of the comp, it's a very negative outlook on it though and a sense of defeat against the pandemic.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:34 am

Demon Juke wrote:
BenchedEagle wrote:
whufc wrote:

Minor premier should be promoted if they happen to loose there only final, then the winning grand final side also. It is different year with finals so promotion should be changed also.

Absolutely.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:58 am

Bring back Challenge Finals! :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:42 am

Footy Chick wrote:Bring back Challenge Finals! :lol:

What are challenge finals?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:05 am

The origin
The Bedge wrote:

The Challenge system was used in the AFL and SANFL until 1931 and then the Page System was introduced. SAAFL also used the Challenge system and I'm pretty sure they kept using it for several years after 1931. The Page System is the final 4 system we are all familiar with.

From memory the pre-Page system was 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 on week 1. If 1 won they would play the winner the 2 & 4 in the Final. The week 1 losers were eliminated. If 1 won the Final that was finals over and they were the Premier and for the records that game would be deemed the Grand Final. If 1 lost they had the right to challenge which of course they would and play that same team the next week in the Grand Final. The winner of course was the Premier.

But if 1 lost on week 1 the two week 1 winners would play in the Final the next week and 1 could then challenge that winner (which of course they would) and play in the Grand Final the next week. So the Minor Premier was always guaranteed to play in the GF but it was just a matter of how that unfolded.

Probably a legacy of our British heritage where finals where a strange concept and that the Minor Premier should be given every chance to claim the title even if they had a hiccup.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:41 am

Down the Hill wrote:The Challenge system was used in the AFL and SANFL until 1931 and then the Page System was introduced. SAAFL also used the Challenge system and I'm pretty sure they kept using it for several years after 1931. The Page System is the final 4 system we are all familiar with.

From memory the pre-Page system was 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 on week 1. If 1 won they would play the winner the 2 & 4 in the Final. The week 1 losers were eliminated. If 1 won the Final that was finals over and they were the Premier and for the records that game would be deemed the Grand Final. If 1 lost they had the right to challenge which of course they would and play that same team the next week in the Grand Final. The winner of course was the Premier.

But if 1 lost on week 1 the two week 1 winners would play in the Final the next week and 1 could then challenge that winner (which of course they would) and play in the Grand Final the next week. So the Minor Premier was always guaranteed to play in the GF but it was just a matter of how that unfolded.

Probably a legacy of our British heritage where finals where a strange concept and that the Minor Premier should be given every chance to claim the title even if they had a hiccup.

That's so strange.. but also so good at the same time haha! if we had a 3 week finals series, that certainly wouldn't have been the dumbest suggestion! :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:22 pm

The Bedge wrote:

West Adelaide United used their right to challenge in 1937

https://adelaidefootyleague.teamapp.com/custom_pages/5523-saafl-history-1937?_detail=v1
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League