AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:43 am

MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
DOC wrote:Lachie Neale getting no love on footy classified.
And rightly so.
It's a shocking act.
Sign for 5 on a contract that is heavily front ended and leave after 3.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

With the front ended part, if he leaves is that just bad fortune to Brisbane overpaying him vs his avg salary over the full 5 years?

Jono Brown on The Couch said it wasn't that heavily front ended.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:52 am

whufc wrote:Happy to give Neale the benefit of the doubt on this occasion given how much the world has changed in 3 years.

Would be pretty rough on the misses if he has to go into some interstate bubble next season with a new born whilst she doesn't have any family around her for support.

Given all the uncertainty in the world it makes sense his (or his wife) is desperate to get back to WA.

Nah its piss poor, wife knew they were going to Brisbane for 5 years, I know a heap of people that have moved to the eastern seaboard for career progression, not getting 1/8th of what Lachie is getting, they have had to survive without family.

There are no restrictions on family flying to her BTW.

Players demand long term deals for security and then do shit like this, not good.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:Happy to give Neale the benefit of the doubt on this occasion given how much the world has changed in 3 years.

Would be pretty rough on the misses if he has to go into some interstate bubble next season with a new born whilst she doesn't have any family around her for support.

Given all the uncertainty in the world it makes sense his (or his wife) is desperate to get back to WA.

Nah its piss poor, wife knew they were going to Brisbane for 5 years, I know a heap of people that have moved to the eastern seaboard for career progression, not getting 1/8th of what Lachie is getting, they have had to survive without family.

Players demand long term deals for security and then do shit like this, not good.

Yeah nah. She knew she was going there for 5 years but didn't know that she wasn't going to be able to get back into Perth indefinitely. She also didn't know that at the drop of a hat her husband could be flown out the state and remain away for a month or more at a time.

I would almost go as far to say that Lachie Neales contract would have had an agreement about how often he was able to 'go home'. Obviously that part of his contract cannot be upheld so he would have no issues breaking his contract.

They haven't had too survive without family...…………….they could move back to their home state like Lachie Neale is doing. It's their choice they are staying in the state they are in...….they could try and find a new employer in their home state even if it means taking a pay cut which looks very likely for Neale.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
DOC wrote:Lachie Neale getting no love on footy classified.
And rightly so.
It's a shocking act.
Sign for 5 on a contract that is heavily front ended and leave after 3.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

With the front ended part, if he leaves is that just bad fortune to Brisbane overpaying him vs his avg salary over the full 5 years?

Jono Brown on The Couch said it wasn't that heavily front ended.

Even so, how do clubs handle that situation?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:16 am

MW wrote:Even so, how do clubs handle that situation?

Contracts only protect the players now, not the clubs. If Brisbane stick fat and make him see out the two years they're callous, heartless, not considering the players welfare, they can't win.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:19 am

Dutchy wrote:

I can't agree with you, the world is a significantly different place to the one in which he signed that deal.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:20 am

Maybe I wasnt clear with my question :lol:
If a club front loads a contract for first 3 years and the player decides to leave after those 3 years, is it just bad luck to the club that they overpaid them for the first 3 years?

Say for instance:
yr1 = 1mil
yr2 = 1mil
yr3 = 1mil
yr4 = 500k
yr5 = 500k

i.e. if a player leaves after 3 years they will get 3 mil and give up only 1mil for the next two but can sign for more at another club?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:21 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Even so, how do clubs handle that situation?

Contracts only protect the players now, not the clubs. If Brisbane stick fat and make him see out the two years they're callous, heartless, not considering the players welfare, they can't win.

Agree.

I also agree players have far to much control but in the case of Neale I believe it is a genuine case where the new Covid world and circumstance have had a significant impact far beyond anyone's reasonable expectations.

Like I mentioned before I reckon if this went to a contract lawyer they would have a solid case to say the contract is null and void especially if there were conditions around 'returning home time' that could no longer be met.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:22 am

MW wrote:Maybe I wasnt clear with my question :lol:
If a club front loads a contract for first 3 years and the player decides to leave after those 3 years, is it just bad luck to the club that they overpaid them for the first 3 years?

Say for instance:
yr1 = 1mil
yr2 = 1mil
yr3 = 1mil
yr4 = 500k
yr5 = 500k

i.e. if a player leaves after 3 years they will get 3 mil and give up only 1mil for the next two but can sign for more at another club?

Ah, I see. Can't see how they could protect themselves from that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:22 am

whufc wrote:
Yeah nah. She knew she was going there for 5 years but didn't know that she wasn't going to be able to get back into Perth indefinitely. She also didn't know that at the drop of a hat her husband could be flown out the state and remain away for a month or more at a time.

I would almost go as far to say that Lachie Neales contract would have had an agreement about how often he was able to 'go home'. Obviously that part of his contract cannot be upheld so he would have no issues breaking his contract.

They haven't had too survive without family...…………….they could move back to their home state like Lachie Neale is doing. It's their choice they are staying in the state they are in...….they could try and find a new employer in their home state even if it means taking a pay cut which looks very likely for Neale.

Perth teams aren't immune to hubs either and I can't recall that Brisbane have had to hub at all yet.

There is a nice easy way for them to get back to Perth, quit footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:24 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Maybe I wasnt clear with my question :lol:

Say for instance:
yr1 = 1mil
yr2 = 1mil
yr3 = 1mil
yr4 = 500k
yr5 = 500k

Ah, I see. Can't see how they could protect themselves from that.

By not signing them to a front ended deal?

The club knows the risk they are taking when they do it, but they do it to attract and also fit in with their cap needs
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:24 am

Riewoldt on The Couch had a good idea.

Brisbane appeal to Neale to finish the job they started, they say give us 1 more year, we're in the window, you're a big part of that, stay for 1 more year and we'll do all we can to support you then you have our blessing to head back to WA.

Might not be ideal for either party, but, as with all things sometimes a compromise can be met.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:

Perth teams aren't immune to hubs either and I can't recall that Brisbane have had to hub at all yet.

There is a nice easy way for them to get back to Perth, quit footy.

Why, there is rules in place that allow him to request a trade. His not doing anything illegal.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:43 am

In the wider system of player management Clubs hold the whip hand with the bottom tier of players - they can be cut/traded at any time.

To me the top echelon of players are the lucky few who get the benefits of the boot being on the other foot.

Players lifestyle decisions change especially when they start to consider having families.

Who here a has actually left Adelaide and raised kids with no parent support? it's F***ing hard.

Footy is only one part of their lives if a a player and his missus think it is better to be closer to home to bring up kids do it I say

However I think their is merit in negotiating as Riewoldt ahs suggested.

However Happy wife happy life so don't begrudge a player thinking of more than just a footy club that when it no longer thinks he is valuable will cut or trade him on a whim
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:14 pm

meanwhile Jed Redden a premiership player at West Coast gets told, take a pay cut if you want to be on our list next year, according to ZeroHanger.

As I said clubs will cut, trade or request pay cuts of players quicker than an unfounded rumour is posted on Big Footy!

You go Lachie, you little Bay Legend, get what you want and play where you want whilst you still have the power to control your playing future
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby stan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:54 pm

am Bays wrote:In the wider system of player management Clubs hold the whip hand with the bottom tier of players - they can be cut/traded at any time.

To me the top echelon of players are the lucky few who get the benefits of the boot being on the other foot.

Players lifestyle decisions change especially when they start to consider having families.

Who here a has actually left Adelaide and raised kids with no parent support? it's F***ing hard.

Footy is only one part of their lives if a a player and his missus think it is better to be closer to home to bring up kids do it I say

However I think their is merit in negotiating as Riewoldt ahs suggested.

However Happy wife happy life so don't begrudge a player thinking of more than just a footy club that when it no longer thinks he is valuable will cut or trade him on a whim
I have and moved to and from and back and back and forth. It's hard as you have said, it can be done but if you can, it is some much better having close family to support you.

At the end of the day we don't know what the issues are or what's really going on. TT he way the Country has been disbanded and people locked out there of home has changed the landscape.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:55 pm

am Bays wrote:meanwhile Jed Redden a premiership player at West Coast gets told, take a pay cut if you want to be on our list next year, according to ZeroHanger.

As I said clubs will cut, trade or request pay cuts of players quicker than an unfounded rumour is posted on Big Footy!

You go Lachie, you little Bay Legend, get what you want and play where you want whilst you still have the power to control your playing future
Yeah sure Zero Hanger is a good source. This is the site that stated the crows list was in a better place than Port.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 pm

I hope he goes home to freo and the lions win the premiership next year.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:48 pm

What I'm a bit confused by is how did it get to the media?
No bullshit this industry is full of snakes.
The timing of the leak as well just stinks.
Trust no one I suppose.
Very disappointing!

Oh am bays i think you meant Jack Redden. Another one from the south east.
Its been a great zone for the mighty tigers.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:07 pm

tigerpie wrote:What I'm a bit confused by is how did it get to the media?
No bullshit this industry is full of snakes.
The timing of the leak as well just stinks.
Trust no one I suppose.
Very disappointing!

Oh am bays i think you meant Jack Redden. Another one from the south east.
Its been a great zone for the mighty tigers.

I think stuff like this gets deliberately leaked to the media, takes some heat off the clubs
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL