2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 pm

**Bump**

Been far too long since someone posted in here.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 pm

Just watching the Digital Pass version of the Grand Final and half way through the 3rd quarter scores are similar to both the Channel 7 version and the live game.

Anyway, I think the goal at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter where the ball was scrambled forward, a ball up near 50, more tackling and pressure before Mutch ended up with the ball by himself in the goal square most typified the overall team effort. Last year it was 1 quarter of magic that blew the game open but this year was systematic, planned and executed to perfection.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby whybother » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am

On the one week anniversary of the glorious October 3, does anyone know if the 2022 Anzac Day rematch of E vs G will be played at Woodville or AO ? I want to book my tickets now.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Pokitren » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:44 pm

Aerie wrote:Just watching the Digital Pass version of the Grand Final and half way through the 3rd quarter scores are similar to both the Channel 7 version and the live game.

Anyway, I think the goal at the 9 minute mark of the 3rd quarter where the ball was scrambled forward, a ball up near 50, more tackling and pressure before Mutch ended up with the ball by himself in the goal square most typified the overall team effort. Last year it was 1 quarter of magic that blew the game open but this year was systematic, planned and executed to perfection.

The guys are growing up, what can I say. There is no limit to perfection!
Pokitren
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Virginia

Postby goddy11 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 am

am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Err - I am not a South Fan. Your post about Joel Cross was crap, and very disrespectful. Not only are you a poor winner, you come across as a very sore looser.

Return flights - $600
Accomodation - $350
Food & Drinks - $250
Ubers and Taxis - $100
Grand Final Ticket - $50
Premiership Merch - $0

Glenelg choking in another grand final - Priceless

I know your a Cocks man

I give you the exact run down
Return flights - $457
Accomodation - $300
Food & Drinks - $200 (think including back at the club - but priceless when you consider the majority of what I drank was West End Draught)
Ubers and Taxis - F*** Ubers ripping off casual workers - $11 day trip on the tram. Ubers everything that’s wrong about our modem economy)
Grand Final Ticket - $0
Glenelg Merch - $9 stubby cooker brought can never have enough

Travelling interstate without restrictions to watch my footy club in a Grand Final catch up with mates and getting the SANFL goss like Durham is less popular with North players than my Joel cross comment is on here - Priceless

Would do it all again!

Does any of that come with a certificate of authenticity from Ricky Nixon. He was rumored selling signed Glenelg premiership footballs and cookers. :lol:
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby am Bays » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:27 am

goddy11 wrote:
Does any of that come with a certificate of authenticity from Ricky Nixon. He was rumored selling signed Glenelg premiership footballs and cookers. :lol:

Mate that’s an embarrassing poor sledge, you might want to remove your association with Pongy if that what you can come up with!

Jesus, compared to usual quality of Sledges from Texas, Wal, Bob, Hawk & others you need to find a mirror and have a good hard look at yourself.

Or maybe stand closer to them next footy season and learn from the masters
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby spell_check » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 am

Want something other than Bay baiting? All righty, here's my loose change:

"Glenelg are a momentum side, we did talk about during the week...what we need to do if they get a run on" This quote, attributed to master coach Jade Sheedy after the 2nd Semi final, all but confirmed to me that this is not the Eagles sides you saw in the last two decades. Even 1994 if you like. Initially I thought during that run on in the last quarter "here we go again", but then "no, this is a Sheedy led side, lets see what happens". See above for the answer.

This leads me to the Grannie...I feel, Balboa vs Drago inspiration aside, that his coaching gives the players confidence to stand up against anyone in the finals. Partington? No Goldy? No worries! In the past, during those many failed finals campaigns, was there a fall back to combat when things got tough (invariably against sides donning red and white)? I rather believe it was more like 1:15 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTElSJE ... heSimpsons .

Basically you could say about the big day, the first quarter was almost a carbon copy of the previous outing, right down to the score. The second was a modern day football tug of war, then the third and fourth quarters was the only time out of the 5 premierships, where that killer instinct which Port and Dogs sides once had showed, right down to that sweet end. While there were avenues to goal for the gold-green-blue, it was like Golden Grove for the Tigers - mostly cul-de-sacs. One to highlight the point was the smother by Sinor in the 3rd quarter. While it wasn't the biggest winning margin of the 5, it was the most crushing - consider the 2nd biggest losing margin by a minor premier in the decider; lowest finals score by Glenelg for starters.

To keep this post short, while nothing will top 2011, there was a particular constant with that game - both Jack Oatey Medalists were one of the two ruckmen on the day; Jarrad Redden was the other ruck both times (but was high up in the 22 best players this time around), and Jack Hannath was one of the opposing ruck players. I want to single out two other players - pleased for Comma after missing out last year, and Kobe Mutch for his best game of the year. The least visible player we had was Lehmann...but his opponent was not less camouflaged either!

The challenge is of course to deal with more player losses and go for a triple treat next year!
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 am

Love the analysis spell_check.

Hats off to Sheedy, the move I think was the most important in us winning the premiership was the faith placed in Firns, Poole and Comma to contest and ensure we at worst broke even at CHF in the air and on the ground. Firns and Poole in particular are far better overhead than their height would suggest and made sure we weren’t out marked and used their pace and will to win the ball on the ground or pressure the opposition. The work rate of our midfield ensured numbers at the contest. Dan Menzel and Stengle were able to stay deeper because of this. He could’ve easily kept with the taller Von Bertouch - who we’d won a premiership with and were comfortably top 3 with getting towards the end of minor round, but he went all in on Firns. Even in the final when he bought Lehmann in for Goldy for more height, that extra height was used in defence. Hayes was able to maintain his role instead of being the only target.

In 2006 when we broke the drought it was the introduction of the athletic Grocke and Inkster up forward that gave us that edge we hadn’t had - together with the additions to an already good midfield of Cooper (inside grunt) and Jarrad (outside ball carrier) that finally got Fuller his premiership.

An avalanche of long goals, a mixture of youth and experience, a dominant ruckman and an inspired game plan by Godden saw us steal the 2011 premiership and finally end Central’s run of dominance.

2015 we lost our aggressive on ball brigade of Rowntree, Poole and Borholm to injury in the Prelim and couldn’t match the class of Westies mids. We had no avenue through half forward for most of those finals losses through the mid-2010’s, highlighted by the Grand Final Sturt beat us in - despite having a fairly dominant full forward in Wundke. To go with that we needed the workhorses instead of more ‘stars’.

Sheedy was able to get the balance just right and his players delivered.
Aerie
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Aerie wrote:Love the analysis spell_check.

Hats off to Sheedy, the move I think was the most important in us winning the premiership was the faith placed in Firns, Poole and Comma to contest and ensure we at worst broke even at CHF in the air and on the ground. Firns and Poole in particular are far better overhead than their height would suggest and made sure we weren’t out marked and used their pace and will to win the ball on the ground or pressure the opposition. The work rate of our midfield ensured numbers at the contest. Dan Menzel and Stengle were able to stay deeper because of this. He could’ve easily kept with the taller Von Bertouch - who we’d won a premiership with and were comfortably top 3 with getting towards the end of minor round, but he went all in on Firns. Even in the final when he bought Lehmann in for Goldy for more height, that extra height was used in defence. Hayes was able to maintain his role instead of being the only target.

In 2006 when we broke the drought it was the introduction of the athletic Grocke and Inkster up forward that gave us that edge we hadn’t had - together with the additions to an already good midfield of Cooper (inside grunt) and Jarrad (outside ball carrier) that finally got Fuller his premiership.

An avalanche of long goals, a mixture of youth and experience, a dominant ruckman and an inspired game plan by Godden saw us steal the 2011 premiership and finally end Central’s run of dominance.

2015 we lost our aggressive on ball brigade of Rowntree, Poole and Borholm to injury in the Prelim and couldn’t match the class of Westies mids. We had no avenue through half forward for most of those finals losses through the mid-2010’s, highlighted by the Grand Final Sturt beat us in - despite having a fairly dominant full forward in Wundke. To go with that we needed the workhorses instead of more ‘stars’.

Sheedy was able to get the balance just right and his players delivered.

I liked both Spellcheck and Aeries GF posts
Something I saw on the day which is a thing Sheedy brought back to the Eagles. Pace the Eagles lacked pace for a long time .
Sheedy brought youth and pace in 2020 and continued in 2021.
The players Sheedy brought in 2020 got drafted good on them
I noticed this grand final Pudney in the midfield and it worked
Jungfer who is leaving impressed me greatly this year doing great things .

Sorry I’m rambling Sheedy waa a genius hopefully he can keep the Eagles up there !
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Agreed - very good post by Spelly and Aerie

Sheedy got the balance right and some very astute drafting and promoting promising juniors covered the loss of players we experienced at the end of last year while also addressing potential deficiencies .

All clubs will be seeking to improve and take-out the eagles next season and recruiting of players is already occurring.

The eagles didn't show many deficiencies this season and have good player depth. The Eagles will lose some players in draft who were regulars (Stengle and potentially Beecken) and also to retirement (potentially Giuffreda and some on here have said Poole and VB might be going country). I'm sure this will be made clearer in time but what do eagles supporters think we need for the upcoming season not only to replace them but to keep improving? I can't see many obvious holes but I will have a crack at three positions that the hierarchy may want to consider targeting -

Ruck - Redden is perhaps the best in the competition at his craft and we are fortunate that he sounds like he is going on for one more season. If he gets a long term injury then they will turn to West. Can West make the jump to a regular league player? Will he even stick around the club given he has been stuck in the reserves the past three seasons? If not, is someone like Zac Phillips capable of being fast-tracked and what would happen if he gets drafted? Who is next in line?

A key forward - Our plan this season mostly revolved around mid-sized and small forwards. VB played the majority of the season up forward but struggled and potentially may be playing country next year if rumours are correct.Hayes occasionally playing shorter periods of the match up forward but we get better value from him pinch hitting in ruck. We got the job done without a 'McBean' type who will kick 3-4 goals per game but will this style continue to work next season? Sharman was recruited as a key tall and showed a lot of promise before he was drafted mid season. Do we have anyone within the club ready and capable of filling that role? Lukac and Cooke are two tall forwards in our U18 who played for SA and possibly could fill that role. But they could also both be drafted. Do we need to bring in some reinforcements?

A small forward - Across the past two years we have had 40 goal seasons from Rowe and Stengle. Next year we will be without both of them. Do the eagles give the opportunity to replace them to Zane Williams. If not, not sure whether we have any obvious replacement.

I think our midfield and defence looks pretty solid with a range of capable players within the club vying for positions so don't see a great need to recruit for these areas.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby whybother » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:05 pm

And who knows ? Success breed success. The reported 50 applications to come and play with the Eagles could toss up some beauties. Whatever happened to that 200+ cm ruckman who was coming to the Eagles before Covid struck?
whybother
Under 16s

Postby Hopeful Jelly » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:49 pm

Liam Buxton - he has signed for Montmorency in the Northern Football League for next year. He was playing for Casey before signing for the Eagles, but then stayed in Victoria and played for Vermont - where Andrew Ainger is playing and Rory Lehmann came from.
Hopeful Jelly
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Aerie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:04 pm

I think if Redden, West and Phillips can go around again that is great depth in the ruck department. Maybe put the feelers out for 2023.

I think Clay Cameron will shift back to a key forward role. Provided we don’t lose Jack Hayes to the AFL draft - we’re ok in this position. Again, feelers out for 2023.

I think a combination of Williams, Goldsworthy and Hardie can somewhat cover the losses of Stengle and Poole. These two players will be hard to replace - but so was Rowe and Nick Hayes.

Would expect Hoile to play league footy next year who is that player in the mould of Jacob Wehr and Luke Beecken who played key roles in the premierships. Hopefully McFarlane has a better run with injuries and gets use to the SANFL competition. We saw how much Mutch improved as the season went on and he became comfortable with the style of competition.

Not sure there are any particular needs, but you wouldn’t knock back high end talent to add to the list, whatever age or position.

Wait and see what the draft does, but putting feelers out there for 2023 and onwards and keeping in communication with current Eagles AFL players may be more a priority than going out to target specific recruits as the club did this year. I can see 2023 being a season where some positions might open up.

Any confirmed retirements from the B & F?
Aerie
Coach

Postby whybother » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:48 pm

Only Guifreda and Poole
whybother
Under 16s

Postby Aerie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:27 pm

7A39CD6B-22F8-4721-AA09-B9FABB77B68D.jpeg
7A39CD6B-22F8-4721-AA09-B9FABB77B68D.jpeg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Aerie
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Looks pretty ordinary compared to the old chimney but better than nothing I suppose.
At least I can keep shopping there for at least another 12 months and look up at the Bays colours in 2nd spot and have a giggle. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:06 pm

The chimney is not painted. Its just a painted sleeve fastened to existing structure. Was the old one the same. Always thought it was painted.
Last edited by goddy11 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:08 pm

goddy11 wrote:The chimney is not painted. Its just a painted sleeve fastened to it.

Maybe not a bad thing as it could be donated back to the winning club instead of getting painted over.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:At least I can keep shopping there for at least another 12 months and look up at the Bays colours in 2nd spot and have a giggle. :lol:

I do laugh that it seems the majority of supporters who hang shit & take the most joy in Glenelg losing a GF are those who follow North & Port.
You know, the only 2 teams we actually beat in GF’s…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:56 pm

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:At least I can keep shopping there for at least another 12 months and look up at the Bays colours in 2nd spot and have a giggle. :lol:

I do laugh that it seems the majority of supporters who hang shit & take the most joy in Glenelg losing a GF are those who follow North & Port.
You know, the only 2 teams we actually beat in GF’s…

I'm the only North supporter I know that was on the Eagles side for the GF (for a few reasons), every single other North fan I know was hoping the Bays would get up and were disappointed with the result.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL