mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Re: Round 13 Sturt v South

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:02 pm

another grub wrote:Brooksby has been plain. Mind on the breeding barn

Brooksby could spend the next 4 games in bed and he'd still win the B+F, has been the least of South's worries.

Oval didn't look great on the broadcast. Wright letting off some steam, don't mind it.

Sturt far too good. South's skills and decision making in the backlines were diabolical in the first half. Final margin very flattering.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:11 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Backman wrote:How can so many South players be so out of form?
These were good SANFL players last year
Brooksby is an exception, has played well all year
Really sad to watch

Had a truckload of good players leave too.

Fairly debatable IMO.

Those that departed who played 6 games or more last season were Bogle, Garthwaite, Menzie (mid season draft), Milsom, Overall, Sladojevic, Turner.

Menzie was obviously a big loss but that happened mid season. Garthwaite had his moments and finished 7th in B+F, big fan of Overall but his body was showing the rigours of a decade of league footy and regular injuries, while the others were depth players at best, Milsom probably the most consistent of the bunch. By recent SANFL standards the turnover of players wasn't too significant.

Unfortunately this season many of the better credentialed players have been down on previous output for various reasons - Broadbent, Gibbs, Haines, Heaslip, Rose, Sampson (to some extent), Skinner (since about round 5), Summerton.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:22 pm

saintal wrote:
another grub wrote:Brooksby has been plain. Mind on the breeding barn

Brooksby could spend the next 4 games in bed and he'd still win the B+F, has been the least of South's worries.

I wish North had a ruckman as "plain" as Brooksby. He killed us at Prospect as he has done so often over so many seasons.
He was still one of South's best players against North at Noarlunga as well.
I find the whole "breeding barn" comment distasteful and shouldn't be said about one of the best and most loyal footballers in the SANFL in the last 10 years or so.
Last edited by robranisgod on Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby knowledge » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:03 pm

mots02 wrote:
southee wrote:The ground was unsafe.

Why did the game go ahead then?

Pretty long bow being drawn by Wright. 88 players played 8 quarters of football at Unley and 2 players (1.7%) sustained an injury. I’ve been at the football on completely dry days where’s there’s been more injury! The mechanism of ankle injury is complicated. There are both extrinsic and intrinsic reasons, biomechanical, anatomical, previous injury history and so on. Nobody can categorically say that ground condition is solely a factor in an acute ankle injury. I’ve treated players who have rolled ankles on completely dry days. FWIW, a very large section of Noarlunga Oval at the northern end between the goal square and the centre square wasn’t in exactly pristine condition on Saturday for the elite Under 16/18 competition, either. Nobody threw their skirt in the air over it. It’s winter and Unley is a foothills ground. Grow a set and get over it. Personally ,if I was the coach, I’d be more focussed on how a side managed to leak 7 goals in a quarter against a team that struggled to kick more than 5 in an entire match over the last month! Sooky la la response from a coach under pressure to keep his job. But, nice distraction….
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby southee » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:34 pm

When you have an oval resembling a golf course ….beach sand filling up large sections of the ground, I think you have to question if it is up to SANFL standard to play on.

Liam Fitt was tackled also into one of those sand divots on Sunday and had to have his eyes sprayed with water to get the sand out of them. He had to come off the ground blind.

Sturt didn’t even train on it all week and it still was unplayable.

Not sure if sturt can work out if it’s an sanfl playing oval or a recreational/public dog park ???
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby knowledge » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:49 pm

southee wrote:When you have an oval resembling a golf course ….beach sand filling up large sections of the ground, I think you have to question if it is up to SANFL standard to play on.

Liam Fitt was tackled also into one of those sand divots on Sunday and had to have his eyes sprayed with water to get the sand out of them. He had to come off the ground blind.

Sturt didn’t even train on it all week and it still was unplayable.

Not sure if sturt can work out if it’s an sanfl playing oval or a recreational/public dog park ???

Mate, if you’re going to post get your intel right. Firstly, we did train on it, on Friday night. And there wasn’t sand on Noarlunga Oval on Saturday with elite Under 18’s and 16’s playing on it some of whom will be drafted from both teams? Look deeper for your lack of success. Unley Oval isn’t part of the problem….
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL