Round 13 Eagles v Norwood

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 13 Eagles v Norwood

by nwdfanparade » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:46 am

Wedgie wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
mal wrote:Speaking of Menzel's
Gary "Alby" Menzel played 100 + games and a life member for the Norwood Football Club
One of nicest and popular footballers the club has produced

I wonder if he's related to Troy & Dan?

Don't think so, Alby came from Victoria and Dan and Troy's Grandpa on his Dad's side (my Uncle) was always a Northern suburbs boy when I was born and I'd imagine the Adelaide Hills before that.
I'm sure my Mum would have told me if there was a connection as she was a big Norwood/Alby Menzel fan and she was always very close to Dan and Troy's grandparents.

From "Alby"'s profile from the Norwood Museum player profiles

Born in Pinaroo, Gary "Alby" Menzel was recruited by Norwood from the Ngallo Football Club (Victoria), in the Lameroo and District Football League.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 153 times

Re: Round 13 Eagles v Norwood

by Wedgie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:09 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:
mal wrote:Speaking of Menzel's
Gary "Alby" Menzel played 100 + games and a life member for the Norwood Football Club
One of nicest and popular footballers the club has produced

I wonder if he's related to Troy & Dan?

Don't think so, Alby came from Victoria and Dan and Troy's Grandpa on his Dad's side (my Uncle) was always a Northern suburbs boy when I was born and I'd imagine the Adelaide Hills before that.
I'm sure my Mum would have told me if there was a connection as she was a big Norwood/Alby Menzel fan and she was always very close to Dan and Troy's grandparents.

From "Alby"'s profile from the Norwood Museum player profiles

Born in Pinaroo, Gary "Alby" Menzel was recruited by Norwood from the Ngallo Football Club (Victoria), in the Lameroo and District Football League.

Talked to Alby at lunch today (and got a photo with him and Michael Aish) and my suspicions were correct, absolutely no relation to Troy and Daniel.
What an awesome guy Alby is.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2060 times
Been liked: 3913 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL