Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Gaza FC - APPS Breaches

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:26 pm

jo172 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Its okay, just get your players jobs, free uni, discounts, free stuff, netball contracts etc. etc.

Or if the player has a business, pay them for services that don't actually get done or well overpay for their services :D

Least the ATO gets a cut that way

Everyone wins a prize!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Strictly speaking most of the above is all a breach of the rules and if you think about it, not significantly more difficult to prove by the CFL in the event someone is willing to spill the beans or not.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:33 pm

In respect of salary cap policing the really fascinating one is market value.

Notionally it's a "football payment" if a president/supporter etc was to make a payment for a players services outside of football above the market value for those services.

Say player X is a carpenter, and I need decking done for my pool. Finding the market value of that I imagine preposterously difficult.

Ditto player y who is a graduate accountant I want to employ in my firm. Determining the "market value" for his wages equally difficult.

Payment for not rendering services or grossly disproportionate payments however ...
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:45 pm

SANFL Official Statement
SANFL Statement: salary cap investigation

The SANFL wishes to advise that Gaza Football club has this week been charged with offences relating to serious breaches of the SANFL Community Football Player Payments regulations.

The charges relate to breaches during the 2018 to 2022 seasons and include sign-on payments and match payments which significantly exceeded the maximum allowable under the Player Payment Regulations.

The Club has 14 days to consider its position and either accept the charges or lodge an appeal and contest some or all of the charges before the Tribunal.

SANFL will be making no further comment on the matter at this stage.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:49 pm

is there a case to be made with the points system being in place and the fact its easily policeable that the salary cap is somewhat pointless.

If club X wants to spend $120k on the 5 x 3 pointers they can get vs club Z who wants to spend $50k on the 5 x 3 pointers then does it really matter.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:51 pm

whufc wrote:is there a case to be made with the points system being in place and the fact its easily policeable that the salary cap is somewhat pointless.

If club X wants to spend $120k on the 5 x 3 pointers they can get vs club Z who wants to spend $50k on the 5 x 3 pointers then does it really matter.

What about the $$ spent on their good juniors who are 0 points to keep them there.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2227 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:54 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:is there a case to be made with the points system being in place and the fact its easily policeable that the salary cap is somewhat pointless.

What about the $$ spent on their good juniors who are 0 points to keep them there.

Goodluck to them if they 1. have good juniors that they need to keep, they've done something right in their junior program. 2. if the club has financial positioned itself well enough to pay who cares.

I'm just not a big fan of having rules that can barely be policed which essentially the salary cap is one of those.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:57 pm

whufc wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Goodluck to them if they 1. have good juniors that they need to keep, they've done something right in their junior program. 2. if the club has financial positioned itself well enough to pay who cares.

I'm just not a big fan of having rules that can barely be policed which essentially the salary cap is one of those.

I used to think this, but if the reported penalties are accurate, it's going to have a significant deterrent effect.

You might think you have a <5% chance of being caught. Is that chance worth what might be a marginal improvement in chances of winning a flag as against the end of your club?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Hector » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:03 pm

I'm just staggard that "amateur" clubs have this much money lying around that they can initially spend and then pay for when fined. I've never been part of a footy admin, would this be the financial situation of most clubs or would most just be happy having $10k in the bank?
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby mickey » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:28 pm

Hector wrote:I'm just staggard that "amateur" clubs have this much money lying around that they can initially spend and then pay for when fined. I've never been part of a footy admin, would this be the financial situation of most clubs or would most just be happy having $10k in the bank?
Having only $10k in the bank would be diabolical for any sporting club. You would hope a club would have over $50k cash available and considerably more invested for future security

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Pag » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:41 pm

mickey wrote:
Hector wrote:I'm just staggard that "amateur" clubs have this much money lying around that they can initially spend and then pay for when fined. I've never been part of a footy admin, would this be the financial situation of most clubs or would most just be happy having $10k in the bank?
Having only $10k in the bank would be diabolical for any sporting club. You would hope a club would have over $50k cash available and considerably more invested for future security

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I reckon you’d find a fair few clubs from Div 5-7 would be in this position, especially in areas of the city where sponsorship dollars may be harder to obtain.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:43 pm

When I was on the committee $10k in the bank would have been cause for huge celebration.

$50k in the bank would be unheard of.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Pag » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:57 pm

jo172 wrote:When I was on the committee $10k in the bank would have been cause for huge celebration.

This. Some of the numbers being thrown around are astonishing to me.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Yank Man » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:18 pm

Pag wrote:
jo172 wrote:When I was on the committee $10k in the bank would have been cause for huge celebration.

This. Some of the numbers being thrown around are astonishing to me.

I would suspect a high percentage of clubs in the Adelaide Footy League from Div 1-7 would be more than happy to get through a season in the black ever lone have $10k left at the end. Just my personal opinion and I’ve been on 3 committees in those divisions over recent years and seen it first hand.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:55 pm

C7 news promo has the President on saying it's all lies.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Ok.

He says there is no proof (C7 showed the paperwork sent to him detailing the payments and it showed figures like contract payment $150 actual payment $800)

He says he will appeal as they can not pay so will have to close.
DOC
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:22 pm

DOC wrote:C7 news promo has the President on saying it's all lies.

I hope it’s incorrect. Gaza are a proud and respectable staple to our league over a long period of time. It’s sad losing any club let alone a club with their history and representation to our great league.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:29 pm

The lies comment was made by the C7 newsreader.

I did not hear him say that but he did say there was no proof. I assume he means no evidence presented to him just the result of the investigation

DOC
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:39 pm

As an interesting conceit I wonder what would happen if the CFL announced an amnesty for anyone who self reported for the last 5 years how many would come forward.

Would likely be useful information for the CFL and affiliated leagues as to whether the system as a whole is working as intended and equally provide good strategies as to future prevention.

Probably something worth kicking about for the SANFL and affiliated leagues
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:48 pm

DOC wrote:The lies comment was made by the C7 newsreader.

I did not hear him say that but he did say there was no proof. I assume he means no evidence presented to him just the result of the investigation

2020 in particular is a big year to reflect on given there were zero payments allowed. Just wonder how that’s reflected upon in these investigations.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League