Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Bluedemon » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:58 pm

In Season 2024/25, is the D grade competition being scrapped?

Are they reducing any of the junior teams?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Bluedemon wrote:In Season 2024/25, is the D grade competition being scrapped?

Are they reducing any of the junior teams?

Yes and yes.

Junior going down to 3 grades instead of 4 - not sure totally confirmed yet as needs to be voted on - but could be Under 13, Under 15 and Under 17. Clubs been advised its happening so can plan but need to vote on final details.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:30 pm

I think 4th Grade becomes optional. Just 1st, 2nd and 3rd required. And there's an age restriction with 4th Grade I think

Juniors U13, U14 and U15.5 on Saturday afternoons
Then U17 on Sundays but a more fleshed out program than this year
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Insider_Trading » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:47 pm

Arry Gablett wrote:
Insider_Trading wrote:The Bradman Medal this coming season will apparently be contested only by the Division 1 teams.
The Division 2 teams will have another medal - currently unnamed- to play for in their own best and fairest.

The other 1st grade medals (Fielding and Wicket-Keeping) are probably (but officially TBD) going to be a joint medal over the 2 divisions.

Tim Nielsen medal

Have heard possibly the Andrew Sincock medal.
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:14 pm

Insider_Trading wrote:
Arry Gablett wrote:
Insider_Trading wrote:The Bradman Medal this coming season will apparently be contested only by the Division 1 teams.
The Division 2 teams will have another medal - currently unnamed- to play for in their own best and fairest.

The other 1st grade medals (Fielding and Wicket-Keeping) are probably (but officially TBD) going to be a joint medal over the 2 divisions.

Tim Nielsen medal

Have heard possibly the Andrew Sincock medal.

Hahaha surely not.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Salad » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:25 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
C Horse wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:[

Just getting in a year early - no 4th Grade next season and one less junior team, let’s face reality that 4th Grade is made up of old farts that should be retired, fill ins who will play at home only, lads up from Juniors who are never going to play 1st Grade. Given them a chance to go back to their local clubs like Grange and Fulham etc and play a level of cricket more their standard. You seen the standard of 4th Grade lately, is diabolical! Got a third Womens team playing in ATCA with all the numbers. Think WT is definitely a grade club that has been doing all the right things for many, many years.

You make me laugh eAgles2014 - if it was any other club youd be looking for blood but WT pull out of D grade and they are ahead of their time are they? if saca had any balls they'd put them to D2 and bring Sturt up.

They would not have done it without SACA approval. Could have scraped up 11 players most weeks no doubt, but as mentioned is really pointless when not going to be a D Grade or another junior team next season.

Have you seen any Grade cricket lately? The B Grade standard is woeful, let alone D Grade which is downright embarrassing. Send them back to community clubs so clubs can focus on anyone with potential to play 1st Grade.

Yep, reckon WT is ahead of their time :D

Unfortunately you’ve nailed it here, the quality from B grade down just isn’t there anymore. That Russo from Woodville has just walked into B grade cricket and taken the piss haha and you see some of the quality A graders who play a game here and there just absolutely dominate it, Lachlan Cluse last year, 8/46
Salad
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Arry Gablett » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:24 pm

Salad wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
C Horse wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:[

Just getting in a year early - no 4th Grade next season and one less junior team, let’s face reality that 4th Grade is made up of old farts that should be retired, fill ins who will play at home only, lads up from Juniors who are never going to play 1st Grade. Given them a chance to go back to their local clubs like Grange and Fulham etc and play a level of cricket more their standard. You seen the standard of 4th Grade lately, is diabolical! Got a third Womens team playing in ATCA with all the numbers. Think WT is definitely a grade club that has been doing all the right things for many, many years.

You make me laugh eAgles2014 - if it was any other club youd be looking for blood but WT pull out of D grade and they are ahead of their time are they? if saca had any balls they'd put them to D2 and bring Sturt up.

They would not have done it without SACA approval. Could have scraped up 11 players most weeks no doubt, but as mentioned is really pointless when not going to be a D Grade or another junior team next season.

Have you seen any Grade cricket lately? The B Grade standard is woeful, let alone D Grade which is downright embarrassing. Send them back to community clubs so clubs can focus on anyone with potential to play 1st Grade.

Yep, reckon WT is ahead of their time :D

Unfortunately you’ve nailed it here, the quality from B grade down just isn’t there anymore. That Russo from Woodville has just walked into B grade cricket and taken the piss haha and you see some of the quality A graders who play a game here and there just absolutely dominate it, Lachlan Cluse last year, 8/46

Thanks for saying Lachie is quality

Being close to home just saying he got dropped for not paying his subs # which was his fault
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Been liked: 46 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 am

I saw in Ben Hook's section in the Sunday Mail that Southern Districts have now pulled their 4th Grade. What is most disgraceful though is Port Adelaide now forfeiting their Ray Sutton Shield team. A club spending tens of thousands of dollars on their 1st Grade but make no contribution and zero effort into junior development!!
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Bluedemon » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:20 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:I saw in Ben Hook's section in the Sunday Mail that Southern Districts have now pulled their 4th Grade. What is most disgraceful though is Port Adelaide now forfeiting their Ray Sutton Shield team. A club spending tens of thousands of dollars on their 1st Grade but make no contribution and zero effort into junior development!!

do you have the article to share?
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Insider_Trading » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:I saw in Ben Hook's section in the Sunday Mail that Southern Districts have now pulled their 4th Grade. What is most disgraceful though is Port Adelaide now forfeiting their Ray Sutton Shield team. A club spending tens of thousands of dollars on their 1st Grade but make no contribution and zero effort into junior development!!

I could be completely wrong, but I don't believe that is actually correct.

If you look at the 4th Grade Fixture/Results in PlayHQ there is only 5 games listed every week plus one bye team. That is 11 teams.
West Torrens never appears in the fixture for obvious reasons.
Every single round has one other team missing. This last completed round had Southerns missing. Next round I think Woodville is missing in the fixtures.
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:21 pm

Insider_Trading wrote:

I could be completely wrong, but I don't believe that is actually correct.

If you look at the 4th Grade Fixture/Results in PlayHQ there is only 5 games listed every week plus one bye team. That is 11 teams.
West Torrens never appears in the fixture for obvious reasons.
Every single round has one other team missing. This last completed round had Southerns missing. Next round I think Woodville is missing in the fixtures.

It was in the Sunday Mail that I saw the mention of Southern Districts. I only saw the Pt Adelaide forfeit when I scrolled through the results last night.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:01 pm

I think that's a mistake

Southern Districts played 4th Grade in Round 1

I assume they were meant to play West Torrens in Round 2 so that game has been removed completely.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Aerie » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:14 am

Does anyone know if the SACA U19 finish top 2, do they get promoted to Div 1 next season?

Overnight scores in Round 1 Sat/Sun games:

Div 1
Glenelg 234 (Scott 110, Pope 5/87) vs Kensington 1/8
Port 323 (Andrew 82, Benton 58* in a last wicket partnership of 105, Robins 3/75) vs East Torrens 0/0 (1 over)
Tea Tree Gully 7/258 (Somerfield 66, S.Kerber 4/42)
West Torrens 9/203dec (Capel 92, Tanner 5/53) vs Woodville 95 (Gammon 5/22, Reuther 4/29) & 1/23

Div 2
Sturt 7/354dec (Boorman 138) vs Adelaide 1/60
Southern 188 (Murphy 61, Stockade 4/44) vs Northern 3/61
SACA U19 8/219 (Milner 55, K.Scrimegour 5/33 vs Prospect
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Gosaints » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:14 am

SACA U19 will not be promoted if they jagged the premiership, which they won't. Games involving the U19s are glorified trial games at best, and the standard will get worse and worse as the season progresses.

It should only be 1 team from Div 2 that gets promoted - 2 from essentially a 5 team competition is too many and the quality is not there - regardless of the cash spent.
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Gosaints » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:57 am

Arry Gablett wrote:Surely they get to play for a flag in finals
Isn’t that why we play

Minor premier automatic
The premier if it’s not the minor premier goes up
If the minor premier is in the gf then the other gf participant

The division 1 teams that finish last and second last don’t get another chance stay up just because

The season will show that the top 3 or so in division 2 are competitive against all division 1 teams

You're kidding yourself - Sturt yes, daylight next.
Gosaints
Rookie

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:43 pm

Gosaints wrote:
Isn’t that why we play

Minor premier automatic

The division 1 teams that finish last and second last don’t get another chance stay up just because

The season will show that the top 3 or so in division 2 are competitive against all division 1 teams

It's a shame Sturt did not beat Woodville in the final game last year, think if they were in Div 1 would be the clear top 8 sides. Woodville look they are going to struggle losing outright to undermanned WT side.

Sturt will be very dominant and would have to be smoky chance to win one of the white ball comps even.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:00 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Gosaints wrote:
Isn’t that why we play

Minor premier automatic

It's a shame Sturt did not beat Woodville in the final game last year, think if they were in Div 1 would be the clear top 8 sides. Woodville look they are going to struggle losing outright to undermanned WT side.

Sturt will be very dominant and would have to be smoky chance to win one of the white ball comps even.

I recall that last game was played on an absolute wetty (strange given there had been no rain for a couple of weeks ;) ) and whoever won the toss won the game. They'll be back in Div 1 next year and I see they're next up against SACA 19s at Adelaide no 2. If they bat first they'll make a big score in next to no time. They look like they've got a pretty powerful batting lineup this year.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Insider_Trading » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:35 pm

Under 19's will also be hamstrung by bowling restrictions too. 6 overs per spell for pace bowlers. And a maximum of 18 I think for the day and they have to have a break of an hour in between those spells.

Looks like they took a bit of a hammering v Sturt this afternoon.
Insider_Trading
Rookie

Postby Minimum Chips » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:35 am

Insider_Trading wrote:Under 19's will also be hamstrung by bowling restrictions too. 6 overs per spell for pace bowlers. And a maximum of 18 I think for the day and they have to have a break of an hour in between those spells.

Looks like they took a bit of a hammering v Sturt this afternoon.

I believe that's why they are able to play12 each game.
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Postby Gosaints » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:42 pm

The approach from clubs in div 2 is interesting. Do they use it as an opportunity to develop their younger players aiming for long term sustainable success, or do they recruit from interstate (knowing the money only lasts for so long) and continue to play the senior average players who got them into div 2 in the first place - therefore risking losing the younger players to other clubs.

The senior average players are likely to boost their poor averages by playing against ordinary teams - including the U19s.

Interesting to see how it all plays out, as there appears to already be differing approaches.
Gosaints
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps