INS and OUTS for 2024

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:57 am

northerner wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Montgomerie will be at the Dogs, unfortunately the ones in the VFL though.
I hope this isnt a sign of the future where players think theyre a better chance to get back into the AFL system by playing VFL rather than SANFL

It's not a sign of the future, it is the current.

Have had a SANFL club Footy Manager tell me directly that this is exactly what is happening.

Jackson Hately was a combination of this reason and his partner working in Victoria, but Monty is 100% this reason.

Suspect if he doesn't get picked up in 2024 then he would likely return to SA in 2025.

Don't get that, we are 2nd best comp in the country and if you perform much better chance of being picked up :shock:

The logic for the players is they feel they are directly under the eye of all of the Victorian-based AFL Clubs by playing in Melbourne and with/against VFL teams that are aligned with AFL Clubs.

I dont buy the second best comp argument anymore anyway.......especially if we are basing it on football ability.

The top end talent in the SANFL is pretty thin these days but moreso that middle tier of players who are now taking the cash at country/ammos and the standard of the SANFL is at an all time low.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:24 am

Whilst we all agree the SANFL standard isn’t at its highest.

I think we are clearly still the second best league in Australia.

The VFL and WAFL are fair percentage worse than the SANFL in a lot of categories ie. standard/average crowds/finances/sponsorship etc…

Ask any player who has played in the other state leagues which is superior.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Ronnie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:29 am

it's a pity for South that they weren't able to stagger their retirements over a couple of years. I reckon Gibbs and Broadbent for a couple could have moved on end of last season. Maybe they felt 2023 would be their year. Also disappointing that Zac Sproule lasted only 1 year, but the fact he has gone to a lower level indicates SANFL isn't attractive for him whatever the club.
Haines had more left but with a young family things change. Crucial time for South, great junior development, but something is not quite right down there.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:36 am

Ronnie wrote:it's a pity for South that they weren't able to stagger their retirements over a couple of years. I reckon Gibbs and Broadbent for a couple could have moved on end of last season. Maybe they felt 2023 would be their year. Also disappointing that Zac Sproule lasted only 1 year, but the fact he has gone to a lower level indicates SANFL isn't attractive for him whatever the club.
Haines had more left but with a young family things change. Crucial time for South, great junior development, but something is not quite right down there.

The coach?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mots02 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:02 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Ronnie wrote:it's a pity for South that they weren't able to stagger their retirements over a couple of years. I reckon Gibbs and Broadbent for a couple could have moved on end of last season. Maybe they felt 2023 would be their year. Also disappointing that Zac Sproule lasted only 1 year, but the fact he has gone to a lower level indicates SANFL isn't attractive for him whatever the club.

The coach?

Not quite Wright?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:33 pm

UK Fan wrote:Whilst we all agree the SANFL standard isn’t at its highest.

The VFL and WAFL are fair percentage worse than the SANFL in a lot of categories ie. standard/average crowds/finances/sponsorship etc…

If you take in the entirity of the comp agree SANFL second best.

If you purely go off football ability and scouts looking at players playing against the highest quality footballer, then the VFL has the SANFL covered fairly comfortably imo, especially depth in talent.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:37 pm

Bit hard to compare the SANFL and VFL because of the large number of AFL-listed players in the VFL which I suspect has a younger average age.

Going by results in state matches - and that is obviously only one measure - the SANFL is still clearly the best comp.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:40 pm

RB wrote:Bit hard to compare the SANFL and VFL because of the large number of AFL-listed players in the VFL which I suspect has a younger average age.

Going by results in state matches - and that is obviously only one measure - the SANFL is still clearly the best comp.

When was the last time they played each other.....

Are the AFL listed blokes who missed out on AFL selection allowed to play in the state game.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:44 pm

whufc wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Whilst we all agree the SANFL standard isn’t at its highest.

If you take in the entirity of the comp agree SANFL second best.

If you purely go off football ability and scouts looking at players playing against the highest quality footballer, then the VFL has the SANFL covered fairly comfortably imo, especially depth in talent.

Mate it's the depth in talent that makes the SANFL stronger than the VFL in particular. the top ups (benches) to make the average VFL team. They are no where as strong as the average SANFL league teams bench, especially you when you take into consideration the non AFL team aligned teams.

Even the AFL teams are using NGA players who are basically learning the game. Jim who follows the VFL more closely than most attests to this.

Yes the VFL has arguably more top end talent (blokes on the precipice of AFL selection each week compared to the SANFL but they play with more players who would struggle to make a SANFL team due to injuries and management of the AFL listed players

I dont disagree the gap is widening between the AFL and SANLF and closing between the SANFL and the community leagues but the SANFL is still the 2nd best comp (having watched the forerunner of the VFL in Darwin in 2019.)

Yes there is top end talent in in community footy that matches SANFL talent but they have made a choice based on dedication required, training intensity and $$ to take an easier option at that stage of their life which no makes them SANFL league level players and they will have bench players who wouldnt even make SANFL 18s.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:07 pm

AFL and AFL Reserves Oval Surface much better than SANFL/Community Footy

AFL Fitness/Defensive pressure marginally better than SANFL
SANFL Fitness/Defensive much better than Community Footy

AFL Skill much better than SANFL
SANFL Skill much better than Community Footy

Looking at the AFL, VFL, SANFL and AdelFL Div 1 scores for the first 10 Rounds last season, I thought I'd see how many games a team won scoring more than 100 points. I reckon that is a fairly good indicator of an open, enjoyable game of footy.

53% of AFL games, the winning team scored 100 points or more
45% of VFL games
32% of Adel FL Div 1 games
18% of SANFL games

The SANFL use to be able to at least say the style of play and high scoring was more attractive than the AFL, but that hasn't been the case for over a decade now.

The admirable commitment, fitness and defensive structures of the SANFL players has surpassed the skill level and this has resulted in lower scoring games.

Meanwhile, whilst the AFL went to those defensive structures earlier in the 2000's, whilst Jarman, Phillips, Fuller and co were promoting aggressive attacking footy in the SANFL, once Geelong won a premiership under Thompson in 2009, their skill and ball movement set a new standard in the AFL for combating the defensive structures and the better AFL teams have had the capacity to skill up on top class surfaces and kick higher scores.

I do think the surface quality has a fair bit to do with it. It has been wet the last two winters and I've never seen Woodville Oval in worse condition. Half the games the players can barely turn because it is so slippery and they'd be training on that as well. I'm not sure what the other ovals are like - Norwood seems much better than it used to be (perhaps because of AFLW and Gather Round) and Alberton always looks a treat thanks to it being an AFL training venue.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:18 pm

Aerie wrote:AFL and AFL Reserves Oval Surface much better than SANFL/Community Footy

Looking at the AFL, VFL, SANFL and AdelFL Div 1 scores for the first 10 Rounds last season, I thought I'd see how many games a team won scoring more than 100 points. I reckon that is a fairly good indicator of an open, enjoyable game of footy.

45% of VFL games
18% of SANFL games

The SANFL use to be able to at least say the style of play and high scoring was more attractive than the AFL, but that hasn't been the case for over a decade now.

The admirable commitment, fitness and defensive structures of the SANFL players has surpassed the skill level and this has resulted in lower scoring games.

Meanwhile, whilst the AFL went to those defensive structures earlier in the 2000's, whilst Jarman, Phillips, Fuller and co were promoting aggressive attacking footy in the SANFL, once Geelong won a premiership under Thompson in 2009, their skill and ball movement set a new standard in the AFL for combating the defensive structures and the better AFL teams have had the capacity to skill up on top class surfaces and kick higher scores.

I do think the surface quality has a fair bit to do with it. It has been wet the last two winters and I've never seen Woodville Oval in worse condition. Half the games the players can barely turn because it is so slippery and they'd be training on that as well. I'm not sure what the other ovals are like - Norwood seems much better than it used to be (perhaps because of AFLW and Gather Round) and Alberton always looks a treat thanks to it being an AFL training venue.

Not potting your post because I think you make some valid points. How many SANFL and AFL ovals are mud pits in mid winter? That would/could affect standards and scoring.

The AFL play on billiard tables, not seen elsewhere in any other standard of footy.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:50 pm

-
Last edited by whufc on Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby northerner » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:54 pm

Aerie wrote:AFL and AFL Reserves Oval Surface much better than SANFL/Community Footy

45% of VFL games
18% of SANFL games

One of the best posts I have seen all year.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby UK Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:06 pm

And whilst I agree the afl standard compared to SANFL seems so far superior it’s not funny. Purely based on the midseason draft it can’t be that much superior as we think . We have seen consistently over the last 4-5 years guys elevated from sanfl/state leagues into the afl system midseason and surprisingly transition quickly/easily.
Last edited by UK Fan on Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:31 pm

INS and OUTS for 2024.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dutchy » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:33 pm

Aerie wrote:

Port also don't have any other traffic other than AFL/SANFL/AFLW. SANFL ovals are used more than ever with female footy, male and female development squads, u14 comp about to start in 2024, u16's going to a full season, plus AdFL/SANFL juniors using for finals, multicultural groups and schools also use from time to time.

Hence most clubs now have a 2nd facility,
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Aerie wrote:

Port also don't have any other traffic other than AFL/SANFL/AFLW. SANFL ovals are used more than ever with female footy, male and female development squads, u14 comp about to start in 2024, u16's going to a full season, plus AdFL/SANFL juniors using for finals, multicultural groups and schools also use from time to time.

Hence most clubs now have a 2nd facility,

Alberton has always had the best surface even going back 70 years, my Dad played for Torrens there and always mentioned it was the best surface by far.
Norwood is definitely most improved going from one of the worst to one of the best.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dogs64 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:33 pm

The Central District Football Club is pleased to welcome the signing of Belconnen Magpies (ACT) & GWS (VFL) powerful Mid/Forward, Maximus Monaghan.

Max 21, who stands at 185cm, spent time in the GWS program playing alongside two of our current doggies, Magarey Medallist Harry Grant & 2023 recruit Leyton Chisholm. Max had an interrupted 2023 campaign when he unfortunately dislocated his shoulder early in the season however, he returned to play a significant role in Belconnen winning the 2023 premiership.

Returning to the field of play during the finals, Max managed to impress on the biggest day of the season on his way to a game high 4 goals & 26 possessions in a standout performance.

A strong & courageous ball winner with a reliable & at times thumping kick, Max will apply tackling pressure to the opposition when they have the pill and is very strong 1 v 1 both in the air and at ground level.

Football Manager Mark Ross had the following to say about Maximus.

“Max is of high quality both on and off the field, he brings to Centrals a strong work ethic and undoubted professionalism. Max second & third efforts have impressed us enormously and his cleanliness to take the ball & give off to teammates with quick hands will be of long-term benefit to our team. Away from the game, Max is currently studying Law, he enjoys basketball spending time with friends, and he is very excited to be joining us at the dogs”.

Welcome Max!
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 180 times

Postby Hazydog » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Sounds like we’ll have a strong on ball division next season… Maximus eh? Centurion will surely be all over this!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby northerner » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:51 pm

Dogs have added strong bodied mids and pace with their 4 announced additions thusfar.
Two or 3 still to come, including the possibility of another raw ruckman.

Punters might suggest we need a tall at either end. I think Will Splann will step up and take a tall role down back whilst there is a feeling Hugo Munn can be that tall up fwd, especially if he has less ruck duties. With Lange, Grace, Gasper, East up fwd, there are plenty of marking options.

Wedgie any more news on the Doggie fwd moving to North? I believe it may have been a possibility but not happening now...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 437 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL