Australian International Summer 2023/24

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I didn't see much yesterday but how much time lost due to batsmen taking a drinks break/changing gloves??

That's the first thing, I'd be outlawing. Change them at official breaks not between overs.

Yep batsmen are just as responsible as bowlers for modern day slow over rates.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby stampy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:11 am

The Dark Knight wrote:10 mins left in the day I'm guessing (that's with the extra half an hour) and 7.3 overs left, so they'll be 5 overs short.

why don the ICC grow some balls and just play 30 overs per session, having designated playing hours is pointless these days
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby DOC » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:30 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I didn't see much yesterday but how much time lost due to batsmen taking a drinks break/changing gloves??

That's the first thing, I'd be outlawing. Change them at official breaks not between overs.

Yep.

The first one happened at the 8/9 over mark. Gloves, drinks, towel down, rest etc.

It is incumbent on the batter to be ready and not holding up the game.

That said, there are two blokes in the middle who should be getting the game moving instead of trying to be everyones friend. At one stage yesterday a bowler was ready and the batsman had taken his stance and the bowler came in and bowled but because he took forever to look up wanted a dead ball. Umpire did not give it.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:31 am

Vamos wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I think he should stick around to get to 10,000

Who's with me?

If Renshaw, Harris and Bancroft are the only replacements being mentioned then I'm with you.

Would have been a good series x2 to blood someone
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:45 am

With the car manufacturer freshly emblazoned on the front of the Australian shirt, Warner set off on his trademark Toyota leap celebration before bounding in the direction of the commentary boxes, pumping his fist and then placing his finger over his mouth with ferocity.

If there had been any doubts as to the tone of Warner’s sentiments, they were confirmed when his wife Candice tweeted an emoji of a person being silenced.

Warner’s opening partner Usman Khawaja had noted in the past how Warner had an uncanny ability to know where noteworthy people at the ground were sitting, and Warner’s eyes appeared stationed in the vicinity of the Triple M commentary box.

Warner described his celebration as a “nice little quiet shush,” and said it was aimed at a broader group rather than Johnson alone.

Australia's #1 couple
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:49 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Australia's #1 couple

They'd both have zero idea why people don't like them, either. Totally oblivious...
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 82 times

Postby stampy » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:01 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Vamos wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I think he should stick around to get to 10,000

Who's with me?

If Renshaw, Harris and Bancroft are the only replacements being mentioned then I'm with you.

Would have been a good series x2 to blood someone

those three have had their chances and havent taken it
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 334 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Australian International Summer 2023/24

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:48 am

whufc wrote:

Yep batsmen are just as responsible as bowlers for modern day slow over rates.
Warner changed his gloves in the 9th over and both batsmen had a drink and used the towels.
You also had the ridiculous time wasting where play was stopped for 3 minutes so the third umpire could adjudicate if Warner hit a 6 or a 4. Should’ve just played on and added the extra two runs later on, there was no need to halt play
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:55 am

This whole Warner carry on is a beat up - the point wasn't that he wasn't necessarily in the right form to play, or capable of performing, it was that the Aussies have an entire summer against weak opposition, and it was a perfect opportunity to blood the next wave into test cricket.

The grew more legs with the announcement it would be Warner's last summer - although it seems every series "is his last".

He was always going to fill his boots against these two bowling attacks (PAK and WI) - finish a hero.. but it's selfish as far as i'm concerned and we should've had an eye to the future.

Instead we potentially take an untried opener to NZ in March to play on green hooping decks, and put them immediately under the pump.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby mal » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:55 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
With the car manufacturer freshly emblazoned on the front of the Australian shirt, Warner set off on his trademark Toyota leap celebration before bounding in the direction of the commentary boxes, pumping his fist and then placing his finger over his mouth with ferocity.

If there had been any doubts as to the tone of Warner’s sentiments, they were confirmed when his wife Candice tweeted an emoji of a person being silenced.

Warner’s opening partner Usman Khawaja had noted in the past how Warner had an uncanny ability to know where noteworthy people at the ground were sitting, and Warner’s eyes appeared stationed in the vicinity of the Triple M commentary box.

Warner described his celebration as a “nice little quiet shush,” and said it was aimed at a broader group rather than Johnson alone.

Australia's #1 couple

Last sentence , nice pun a BROADer group ....
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:59 am

The Bedge wrote:This whole Warner carry on is a beat up - the point wasn't that he wasn't necessarily in the right form to play, or capable of performing, it was that the Aussies have an entire summer against weak opposition, and it was a perfect opportunity to blood the next wave into test cricket.

The grew more legs with the announcement it would be Warner's last summer - although it seems every series "is his last".

He was always going to fill his boots against these two bowling attacks (PAK and WI) - finish a hero.. but it's selfish as far as i'm concerned and we should've had an eye to the future.

Instead we potentially take an untried opener to NZ in March to play on green hooping decks, and put them immediately under the pump.
He is finishing in Sydney after the Pakistan series.
The new opener will get two tests against the Windies in Australia
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:07 pm

Jim05 wrote:He is finishing in Sydney after the Pakistan series.
The new opener will get two tests against the Windies in Australia

**** him anyway :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:**** him anyway :lol:

More of this
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:17 pm

Surely no supporters actually like Warner.

I get you can forgive his behavior/personality because of his talent but no one actually likes him right???? No one is putting their hand up to have a beer with him at your local hey? He definitely wouldn't shout that's for sure.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:22 pm

wenchbarwer wrote:

More of this
If it’s between Warner, Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw I’m continuing to play Warner until he’s in a wheelchair
Jim05
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:

More of this
If it’s between Warner, Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw I’m continuing to play Warner until he’s in a wheelchair

Agree, and all the players mentioned are not untried.

I would be happy having Marsh or Green open.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:30 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I know that I’ll get ridiculed but I was never a Tubby fan

Stats are stats and you have to recognise that, but if there is a debate about who is best, you have to remember who those other guys played against. Has Warner faced the same attacks as the others?

BTW, I was surprised that M Waugh only averaged 41.

Yeah, I felt that he played on a bit too long, the 334* helped him out, he had a huge form slump but put together a few scores late 97 onwards, I think it was more of the fact that being captain he would always play the ODI’s too where he’d manage 37 off 110.

Junior never scored a double, he was too flamboyant and chancey, I’m not sure that anyone has been better to watch than him in full flight, he had all the shots, arrogance and self belief
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:38 pm

whufc wrote:Surely no supporters actually like Warner.

I get you can forgive his behavior/personality because of his talent but no one actually likes him right???? No one is putting their hand up to have a beer with him at your local hey? He definitely wouldn't shout that's for sure.

I want to.. sometimes.. but he's just got this aura about him, find him very punchable.

Great to watch in full flight and in form, and he really did have a significant impact on Australian cricket in all formats.

Also doesn't help having his wife fight his battles either.

I'd try and have a beer with him, but can't picture it lasting long - strikes me as the kind of guy who would love to talk about himself.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby wenchbarwer » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:47 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Surely no supporters actually like Warner.

I want to.. sometimes.. but he's just got this aura about him, find him very punchable.

Great to watch in full flight and in form, and he really did have a significant impact on Australian cricket in all formats.

Also doesn't help having his wife fight his battles either.

I'd try and have a beer with him, but can't picture it lasting long - strikes me as the kind of guy who would love to talk about himself.

Strikes me as the type who would start a fight then disappear!
wenchbarwer
Under 16s

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Jim05 wrote:If it’s between Warner, Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw I’m continuing to play Warner until he’s in a wheelchair

Bancroft has 500 runs in the shield this season, but I actually agree.. neither of those three strike excitement.

Surely there's some young prodigy out there that can be plucked from obscurity.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket